Mum's diagnosis

Sueoliver

So we have reached a milestone...a year ago today that Mum was diagnosed! We have certainly been on an emotional roller coaster!

Over the last few weeks Mum has continued to do well even putting on weight. The last couple of days there has been a change. Burping and terrible wind in the stomach and she has stomach pain today! She used to sit up in her chair at night when she couldn't sleep and the wind was bad and apparently that is what she has done for last 2 nights!

Mum has a scan booked on 1st June which isn't long now! I really hope this cancer isn't playing up again so quickly! I have to say I'm worried.

Love to everyone,

Sue x

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sueoliver

• sandraW

• Didge

• brodders

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sue my mum's symptoms are so much like your mum's.Mum has been burping and full of wind for over a week now.I called the doctor out last week she was really bad. She is very tired at the moment with very little energy. I have been signed off work as I look after her.I hope your mums scan goes well it is very worrying time.

Take care Bev x

Hi Sue,

It sure is a roller coaster this rotten disease, sorry to hear your Mum is not feeling too good, but congratulations to her on her 1 year anniversary. That's all we do isn't it worry and worry and worry, hope she feels better soon. love sandrax xx

Hi Sue,

How is your mum now? Has the doctor been out to see her?

Dad always suffered with wind just after eating, and he said that caused his stomach to feel 'acky'.

i know the 1st of June seems like weeks away for you both. I hope they don't keep you waiting for the results for too long.

Leila xx

• 2 weeks later...

Mum has had a good few weeks since her new stent was placed! She has been able to eat out, visit friends and go shopping! She even put on just over a stone in weight! I think we all became complacent thinking this is great and almost believing it would carry on and get even better! This unfortunately is not to be as in the last week Mum is suffering again. Same symptoms sickness, indigestion, gurgling and wind. She had a CT scan on Monday but is not seeing oncologist until 17th June...too long! On Thursday she saw the consultant who put in new stent and he wants her to have a barium meal x Ray on 15th June and then wait a week for results...too long! Mum has decided on Monday she will go to A and E as she can't wait.

I don't know if the cancer is now taking hold as she hasn't had chemo for 5 months or the stent is blocked again. Whatever is happening it isn't good.

I have been back at work for a month since she was poorly before and I got shingles! I will take more time off if I have to to be there for her.

Love to everyone fighting this cruel disease. Sue x

Sue,

I am very sorry to read about your Mum. That wait, is terrible. If I could phone up for you, I would. Do people not realise what they are dealing with. I don't just mean your Mum when I say this, anyone with this cancer, do not have 2 weeks to waste by waiting for results, waiting for anything. So much can happen. Can your Mum admit herself to the hospital where she had her CT? She will get results straight away then. They are available.

Fingers crossed for you both. Be prepared if she needs to restart chemo, I know it's scary, and your stomach will be doing cartwheels, but she will be being treated again. Not waiting around for scans.

Please keep posting Sue.

Leila xx

Hi Sue,

Just seen your post, sorry to hear Mum is not feeling too good again, this bloody disease is relentless, and as for the wait its just awful I know we had the same problem, even though I pushed and pushed we just got no where, but we have to try our best to get things moving, which I am sure you are. Lets hope its just the stent again and it can be sorted easily, sending you love and ((hugs) sandrax xx

Mum took herself to A and E on Monday and they x rayed the stomach. The Dr said the stent was fine! They sent her home but she is in pain. I managed to get hold of the oncologists secretary and they have moved her appointment forward to tomorrow instead of the 17th! I will go with her and hopefully it won't be too bad!

Thank you Leila and Sandra for still supporting us on here.

Love to everyone. Xxx

Saw the oncologist this afternoon. The tumour has grown but there is no spread! He said she is too weak for treatment at the moment! He wants her to take more creon tablets and see if she can build herself back up in the next month! She weighed 6 stone 9LB today! He said if she can get stronger she can have some different treatment. Not sure what to think! He was very nice but it was like he just knew what this disease is doing to her! On Monday she is going for a barium meal x ray! Not sure how she is going to drink that!

I feel like there was a lot that was unsaid today!

Sue x

Sue,

Sorry it wasn't better news, I know what you mean about the "unsaid", I too had that feeling with our oncologist, but I do honestly think that although they might have an idea of what will happen they know that everyone is so different in how their body handles the disease. So lets hope your Mum manages the x ray ok, and the increase in creon does the job love sandrax xx

Sue, sorry to hear your Mum is struggling. Whilst not as bad, I have been sick a fair bit over the last month which invarably has lead to a weight loss. I still have a bit of flab left, so it is not such a worry, though Margaret is very concerned about it. As a result, my Oncologist referred me to the Palliative Care Team at the local Hospice who have lots of experience in the area of diet. I had an hour long session with them and they have increased my Metoclopromide and add a drug called Haloperidol which I am to take when I feel the sickness coming on.

This May not be relevant for you Mum, but I can recommend using your local team if you can. They seem to know what they are talking about!

Steve

X

Hello Sue

You and your mum are often in my thoughts. I haven't been on here for a while and am sorry to read your mum isn't too great at the moment. heres hoping the increase in Creon will help her to feel better and things will improve. Sending you love xxx

Thankyou for your replies and thinking of us. Steve mum is under the hospice care and did have a syringe driver before with metoclopromide . I will mention the other drug you said! Thankyou for letting me know. I spoke to the community hospice nurse yesterday and I am going to keep her informed of Mum's progress over next couple of weeks. She did warn me that if she deteriorates more it could be rapid! I really don't know how she will build herself up but I'm praying hard. All she wants is to be at the wedding on 29th August!

Some good news my daughter gained a 2:1 in her degree we received the results yesterday! So proud of her considering all we have been through as a family!

Love to all,

Sue x

Congratulations to your daughter Sue, she has done so well, thinking of you and hoping Mum feels better soon, love sandrax xx

Mum has been really unwell over the weekend and continues to be sick. Today she went for another x ray which involved a few sips of barium meal! She has another blockage in her stent! They told her straight away. The consultant is referring her back to the first one who did the other stent so hopefully it will be quick! I' m praying they can help her again!

I am an emotional wreck! Sue x

Sorry to read about your Mum Sue.

Is your Mum taking any steroids? They help with gain and can give a good appetite. Dad took Dexamethasone, and he got on very well with it.

Leila xx

Sorry to read about your Mum Sue, but at least you know what it is now, and hopefully they will get it sorted as soon as. I can imagine how you feel, chin up girl, love sandrax xx

HollyLouise

Hi Sue,

I have just finished reading through your thread and I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum. I hope you don't mind me posting this here but I'm replying on behalf of my Mum, who's mother (my Nan Nan) has just been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer a couple of weeks ago. I was wondering, if you wouldn't mind, if you could give us some advice? Specifically, she has been struggling to eat properly and we were wondering if there's anything that can help her?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I really hope that your Mum starts to pick up again soon. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide us with, it is much appreciated.

Hi Holly,

Hope you don't mind me replying to your post.

Sorry to hear about your nan. Is she taking creon? Or any steroids? They help with appetite and weight gain.

If you post your own post, you can write about your nan there, and other people can reply to you. If you have your own thread then people can search you, that might not look on Sue's thread. I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to make sure you get the best support you can. Hope you do, as we would all like to help and offer you and your nan help.

Leila xx

Mum was admitted to hospital this afternoon as she is very weak. The consultants are discussing what to do about the blockage and should have made a decision by tomorrow morning! I don't know yet what sort of blockage it is! I am hoping they can help her again. She is being referred to the pallative care team at the hospital as well.

Holly is your Nan being treated at a hospital? You can ask to see a dietician they can advise you. My Mum eats little and often and usually soft foods like scrambled egg. She loves chocolate! You can always ask to have fortisip drinks prescribed as well. If you open your own thread other people may support you as well. Please ask anything you need advise on. Take care.

Love to everyone,

Sue xxx

Sue, thinking of you, lets hope they can sort things out for your Mum and she can bounce back again, love sandrax xx

Mum still in hospital and they haven't performed the endoscopy! They are now saying it might not be till Tuesday! She has a drip in each arm, a tube down her nose and they have decided nil by mouth! I questioned this but they said it was Dr's decision! I really don't understand how and why they are leaving her like this! She is fed up and getting skinnier and skinnier! This seems so cruel! I'm struggling with the waiting and not knowing what the blockage is so goodness knows how she feels! The blockage could be the tumour or the stent could have moved! We need to know!

I hope something is done tomorrow but I have an awful feeling she will have to wait till Tuesday!

Life is cruel!

Sue x

Oh Sue this is awful! Why are they saying nil by mouth if they are doing nothing yet? Is she getting nourishment through a tube or only hydration? I do hope you make some headway tomorrow! xx

They are saying nil by mouth as they think fluid isn't going down which in my opinion is crazy! Surely water can't hurt! She has fluids in one arm and food, looks like milk, in her PIC line! The tube in the nose is draining the green bile! It truly is awful! Sue x