Newly Identified Tumours One Year on from Whipple

Amanda J

Hello Amanda ,

I found this forum the only true support I was getting during the short time my hubby was unwell ( 8 weeks from diagnose to his passing ) but don't want to give you negative thoughts if we don't have hope what do we have ! My Jon had back pain our home treatments included rubbing Vick in his back ,wrapping his pure wool scarf around him ( it was his scarf for golf worn during winter rounds of golf ) hot water bottles, my man was one who tried everything to avoid calling the doc out lol so just do what ever makes David comfortable ,this is a truly awful disease but who knows what treatments could be around the corner ,my hubby would never have posted on this forum but during some trying moments he would say ask your friends on the forum what they would do ,and they would always give me very good advice , so as one of our lovely forum members always says keep on keeping on .

Sending you big cyber hugs and xx

Emma x

• 6 months later...

After a long and brave battle with Pancreatic Cancer my wonderful husband sadly passed away on 2nd January 2015. At the tender age of 37 he passed away peacefully at home with his family. He was a wonderful person who I had the privilege of spending 11 wonderful years with and we had two beautiful little girls. He has battled through six operations since he was diagnosed in June 2012, After two attempted Whipples in the UK he had his tumour removed in Heidelberg in May 2013 which gave us an extra year together as a family to make some very special memories which afforded us the time take our little girls to Disneyland Paris. When you are given the devastating news you never think it will happen and I truly believed, even when David was really poorly over Christmas that it would all be ok and someone would help us in this crazy situation. I sat on the bed next to him watching him sleep and I would have sat there forever just watching him breath. We had a wonderful team looking after David which ensured he was in no pain. I can not thank Macmillan, Marie Curie and our wonderful GP and district nurses enough for the help and support we had throughout his illness. We did manage to have a lovely Christmas Day with our little girls which I am so thankful for and I truly believe that David’s sheer strength and determination to go through Christmas and New Year was just the way he wanted it. Frank Sinatra was one of his favourite musicians and he certainly did it ‘His Way’ amazing doctors and nurses throughout. His celebration of life service took place on 13th January and was a perfectly fitting tribute to a wonderful inspirational young man. Over 600 people attended with every part of his life represented from the midwife that delivered him when he was born to the nurses that cared for him at the end and all of his friends, teachers and colleagues in between. He touched everyone that met him with his unique personality. We are completely devastated by our loss and will never come to terms with what has happened but we have comfort that David is now at peace. We live in a little village and were able to have the burial at the local church which is next to our daughter’s school so we are able to go and visit ‘Daddy’s special place’ everyday. Our little girls who are just 6 and 4 are dealing with it very well. They understand that Daddy has gone to Heaven and we can’t see or hear him but he is always with us and we can talk to him at anytime. I asked our youngest daughter if she would like help with a jigsaw she was doing and she replied “no it’s fine Mommy, Daddy is helping me”. We have lots of videos, pictures and memories that will last forever. He was a wonderful Husband, Daddy, Son, Brother and friend who will be sadly missed.

I would like to say thank you to everyone who offered advice and support on the forum and although I didn’t manage to come on very often we did get some great advice and tips from people at various stages. I wish you all the very very best and you continue to fight this because there are success stories and people do beat it and I truly hope it’s you.

Thank you,

With much love

Amanda.x

So sorry to read your post Amanda. With over 600 people there he must have been a very special person to all those around him. Yet another taken far too young.

My condolences.

Mark

Amanda,

I am so sorry to hear David has lost his incredibly brave fight. How wonderful though that your little girls will have all those lovely memories of their exceptionally brave Daddy,

Take care,

Nikki

Amanda, I am truly sorry to hear the news. My husband also died of cancer at age 37 and today I will be going to the cemetery to mark what would have been his 64th birthday with our eldest who was 5 at the time but is now a strapping 32 year old, while my current partner is having treatment for his pc liver tumours today. Your sad but lovely post brought me right back to that sad time and I will be thinking of you in the strange days to come while you and your children build a new life. do feel free to pm me if you feel it would help. With 600 people at the funeral he must have been much loved and I hope you have lots of support round you. xxx

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Dear Amanda,

Thanks for posting and letting us know about David's passing - as Mark said, far too young indeed.

Your post was excellently written, and gave such a good snapshot of your lives together, and also, the esteem in which David was held. It sounds a wonderful partnership/family, with your two little girls.

Please accept the condolences of all of the support team at Pancreatic Cancer UK, and also the wider charity. Our thoughts are with you.

Kind regards,

Jeni, Nursing Team.

Dear Amanda

So very sorry to hear that your beloved husband has lost his fight to this dreadful cancer. I am so glad that you had one last Christmas and New Year with him and your children. My husband also lost his fight on Christmas Day 2013 but he was determined to make Christmas and fought to the end to do this. Thinking of you Lyn xx

Hello Amanda,

I am so, so sorry your husband has lost his fight to this very cruel disease. My thoughts are with you and your little girls.

Take care,

Hilary

Oh my dear Amanda how brave you are and what a wonderful man your hubby must have been to have that many attend his passing just hang on to the lovely memories you and your girls have .

Emma xx

Dear Amanda,

I am so sorry to read that your husband lost his brave fight with this cruel, awful PC.

He was so young, so unfair. Your girls are amazing, true stars! Little children can grow up so quickly in a tragedy like this.

I know exactly how you feel now. I lost my husband to PC 3 months ago, he was 41. I have two little boys, 4 years old twins and they are just amazing. They absolutely understand what has happened and always tell people that their Daddy has died and now he is in heaven and he can hear us and see us and he will always be with us. So mature.

My heart goes out for you and your little precious girls.

I am thinking of you in this difficult time.

With love,

Susanna xxx

Amanda, I am so very sorry to hear that David has lost his battle with this awful illness. Your story clearly shows what a brave and determined individual he was. 37 is a tragically young age for a loved one to be taken from you, but your joint efforts to build up a store of precious memories for you and the children really is inspiring. 600 attendees is also obviously a mark of amazing respect he must have commanded in an all too short life.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Take care

Steve

X

Hi Amanda

I have just read your post and I am so very sorry to hear that David passed away.

I'm not sure I can add any more to what the others have written so well but loved the story of your little girl and the jigsaw getting help from Daddy. Reflective I think of how well, and how bravely, you and your girls have dealt with David's illness.

Take care

Cathy xx

Dear Amanda, I am so sorry to hear your devastating news. This is such a wicked disease and for you with such a young family all much too soon. Your husband was so brave and your girls sound amazing. A reflection to you both as parents, even during your struggle with this even disease. I'm sure children do know so much more than most of the grown ups about the wider stuff beyond what we can easily see and comprehend as they're still open to all possibilities. I'm thinking of you and hoping that everything can now be as peaceful and good as possible for you in the days and months ahead. Fiona X

• 3 months later...

Dear Amanda I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

My heart goes out to you and your little girls. May God give you strength in this tough time. And may you never have to face any tough time ever again.

take care,

Tas