Flu Jab ?

wackywacky

Hi just thought would ask what peoples views are about PC patients being given the flu jab, just been speaking to our doctor and he asked if beloved wanted it (this caught me on the hop said I would see what beloved said.) My thoughts cant you end up with flu well a mild form if you have the jab and would that just be another thing to contend with

Hi My husband's doctors said it was important for both of us to have the jab. As his immune system was taking a beating from the chemo. He was told to have it the day before chemo when his blood count was at its highest. He had no problems with side effects. He also had it the year in between his Whipple operation and the cancer commming back. This was because he had finished the adjuvent chemo three months before flu jab time and the doctor felt that after the surgery and chemo it would be better to be cautious. Plus if he were to need further treatment and he had flu it would be delayed. Best wishes Sue

Hi my mum has just asked her oncologist who said there were pros and cons! She said it affects your blood cells so if you do have it its best in week 2 after chemo! Maybe they all say different things! I think my mum has decided against having a flu jab!

Sue x

Hi,

Paul had it last year and we both had it a couple of weeks ago (carers of someone who is immuno suppressed are entitled to a free jab this year), and we haven't noticed any ill effects. Paul actually had his a few days after chemo and we were told he can have it anytime as long as he didn't have a temperature. It did worry me slightly as you hear stories of people becoming unwell after having the jab, but on balance we felt it was a good idea, as getting the flu could prove fatal.

Nikki

We discussed this with my Oncologist 2 weeks ago and had the jab last week. It apparently can be less effective when you are on a course of chemo, but the advice was to go ahead and have it done. No ill effects yet!

Steve

X

Thank you for your advice, beloved says he will make an appointment with Doctor and take it from there ...... he as made an appointment speechless is not the word at the moment from me lol not like him that.

He must be feeling better, these men of ours like us to do everything for them, I'd be getting him cooking your tea as well while he's at it!

Nikki

Had toast and coffee in bed last two morning Nikki, not had that for a long time, got to admit best he has been since all this started x

I found the "poorly" word in conjunction with big sad eyes worked for about a month. I now get " yeh, yeh, whatever" if I try it. I was not allowed to milk it for anywhere near long enough!

Steve

X

Awwww poor you Steve, we forget about you when we are taking the michael out of our beloveds, by the way I believe congratulations are in order. sandrax