Wish someone would help him

Guest Fifi

The advantage of having MacMillan nurse involvement is that they work closely with the Hospice medical teams. If there are any really intractable problems they can generally be consulted. At least that was how it worked in Northumberland.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sandraW

• Didge

• Slewis7313

• Sueoliver

Top Posters In This Topic

He said he will ask for Macmillan. Right now though, we just need his diarrhoea sorting. 5 months is far too long.

Dad saw Gastroenterologist today. He has got to for a camera up his bottom. The consultant asked my dad if he would be able to handle it, as the day before he has to have something which will cause ' severe diarrhoea'. He already goes 40 times a day, so his insides are well empty, so I hope it won't be too more severe for him. I don't know what they can see up there, that they couldn't see with a camera down his throat.

Fifi wrote:

I don't know what they can see up there,

> that they couldn't see with a camera down his throat.

The problem is there's 20 odd feet of small intestine.

My question was genuine. I thought they could see everything, whichever way they went in with the camera.

I don't see any sarcasm Fifi. Im no medic but I can imagine trying to navigate a camera through 20ft of twisting turning intestine is no mean feat, even with todays medical advances!

I do hope you get this problem sorted for your dad, its gone on far too long.

Julia

I didn't know that you couldn't see everything. I thought it was one way or another depending on ease or situation.

Thank you Julia, me too. He is 9 stone 6 now.

xx

My answer was genuine too, there was no attempt at sarcasm. Investigation of the small bowel is very difficult, because of its length, and it's beyond current medical technology to have endoscopes long enough to reach the large bowel from the mouth.

If they could be made it would still make more sense to go in from the bottom end if only on aesthetic grounds. Remember you've got to get them out again.

Slewis7313

Not one of my favorite procedures, but my second endoscopy was an extra-long device which allowed them to progress 40cm beyond my Duodenum. I was thankfully given a very substantial amount of sedative and went out like a light, but came round part way through and remember vaguely some serious manhandling to get that far in. I was quickly knocked out again, but appreciate going any further in must be impractical......obviously leaves a lot of intestine beyond the reach of this otherwise amazing tool.

Hope this helps explain the limitations of what I affectionately call 'The Black Mamba'!

Steve

X

Thank you Steve. Do you think they would insist on a sedative? My dad is frightened of being out to sleep, and when he had a endoscopy down his throat, he refused one. Do you have a incline what you think they might find, considering his problem?

Leila

xx

Slewis7313

I found the standard endoscopy going as far as the stomach and duodenum was OK without a sedative, just the anesthetic throat spray beforehand did the trick. The decision whether to have the sedative or not was always mine and for anything more than the standard procedure, I was advised to have the sedative. I let the consultants know that I was anxious about the non-standard procedure and they assured me they would adjust the sedative accordingly, which they did, making it much less daunting.

Steve

X

Slewis7313

Sorry Leila, missed out one important fact. The sedative is not a general anesthetic, it simply makes you very drowsy, or even sends you to sleep for a short time. It therefore has almost none of the usual general anesthetic after-effects, though driving is a no-no for a few hours. Your dad can insist on this option.

I have absolutely no idea what they would expect to find based on your Dad's persistent problem. My diarrhea is as a result of nerve damage from the surgery, but manageable with Imodium, Creons and plenty of bananas. In fact, our first day in Cyprus was a Public Holiday and we could not buy bananas anywhere, which made the diarrhea really quite bad for a day or so. We now have a banana supply and things are settling down again.

Steve

X

I had an endoscopy a week ago and was uncertain whether to have sedation until the lady who was doing the procedure said that she had had one herself and would not contemplate doing it without. I know people do, but most say have the sedation if it is practicable (eg unless you have to drive after). I did 'come round' towards the end and was in some pain although not unbearable. I think one good reason for having sedation is that the chance of having to abort the procedure if it does become too painful (which happened to me during a colonoscopy without sedation) is much reduced. I wouldn't hesitate to have sedation every time now! It was quite pleasant!

Hi Steve,

He wouldn't have the sedative before. He has a fear of being sent to sleep, he's frightened he won't wake up, and thinks he definitely won't wake now. He was only the 3rd person to not have one in the hospital he had his endoscopy in.

Leila x

My husband had a colonoscopy/sigmoidoscopy a couple of years ago and was fine, he was nervous but the staff were brilliant with him and he watched the whole thing on the mpnitor

by the bed, when it was over he said he wouldn't worry if he had to have another one. He didn't have any form of sedation, but the sigmoid is not as big as the colonoscopy so they might give a sedation for that. ho[e he's ok take care sandrax

Does anyone know anything about Moviprep please?

I need to know before tomorrow. Long shot I know. Tried calling the hosptial who were absolutely rubbish.

Does my dad really need to take both solutions AND not eat for 24 hours before?! He should already be clean as he hasn't had a proper stool this year. It has always been yellow. Is it really worth him missing out on food the day before? He has a afternoon appointment and should stop eating by 1pm the day before! It just seems absolutely ridiculous for someone who already goes a minimum of 10 times a day anyway and who is rapidly losing weight. It just pains me to think what he has to go through.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

x

Hi Leila,

I do think it is completely necessary to take both solutions and not eat as advised, I know it must be hard for your dad, but you might get a situation were they won't do the procedure or that they do it, and are still not able to diagnose your dad's problem, so I do think its important for him to follow instructions as far as he is able too, I really do feel for him. take care sandrax

I agree. I think this is one situation where you have to play it by the book. it would be terrible if they can't see anything because of the system not being clear and then be back to square one. At least you'll be a little further down the road of hopefully getting an answer. x

You are both right.

I just don't like the thought of it all for him. He keeps saying if they don't sort it, then he will starve to death. He says this is his last hope.

xx

Dad had colonoscopy today.

Thankfully the Moviprep wasn't as horrific as we thought. Dad hasn't had stools since December, so I guess he was already flushed out and clean.

He never had a sedative. He says he wish he had, as it was horrible and a camera down the throat is very easy going compared. They took a biopsy of his small intestine. The consultant said he couldn't visibly see anything out the ordinary. He said he should have the results this week, fingers crossed.

x