Post whipples back pain

Rachelb148

Hi everyone

I'm new to the board, having had my whipples procedure 12 days ago. I came home two days ago and am generally doing ok I think, although I do feel as though as I have hit by a train. However, the thing I'm really struggling with is constant back pain. I have had this since surgery with no sign of improvement and between the back pain, abdominal tenderness and regular nausea I'm hardly getting any sleep. Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone who had their whipple fairly recently?

Great to see such a supportive and informative community, I'm looking forward to reading more posts and helping where I can.

Thanks

Rachel

Hi Rachel, welcome to the forum though I wish you didn't have to be here. 12 days really isn't very long to recovery from this surgery. I had my whipples two and a half years ago followed by six months of chemo and still get niggling back pain from time to time. However, were all different and some people will heal quicker than others, give yourself time and plenty of rest. I found drinking hot water with root ginger in helped with the nausea.

Take care. Sue

Hi Rachel,12 days ago isn't long ago at all. My husbands surgeon told him it takes a year and a half to get over a whipples. He had his in November and just about a month ago he was able to get out on his push bike again. His eating took a few months to get back to normal. Initally he could only eat very small amounts and an hour or so later he felt very sick. I cant get over the amount he can eat now but he does take an anti sickness tablet half an hour before each meal. Take care and get plenty of rest.

love jayne

Thanks Sue and Jayne, it's always reassuring to hear that others have had the same symptoms. I know it's very early days, I'm such an impatient person so this long recovery is going to be a bit of a reality check for me I think!

Jayne, it's very encouraging that your husband is back on his bike less than six months post surgery, how wonderful for him.

Sue, I'll give the root ginger a try. At the moment I'm trying peppermint tea with some positive effects.

Thanks again!

Rachel

Dear Rachel,

It sounds as if you are doing really well, considering that you only had your Whipple 12 days ago. Fantastic! I had a Whipple in 2010 and was in hospital for 3 weeks, then convalescing for about 3 months. Don't try to do too much too soon.

Have you been prescribed Creon to help with digesting food? If not, you probably should have been, so do ask about it. I also got nausea, though not back pain, and found that Creon helped. I also find still now that I cannot tolerate any fatty foods, so I avoid milk, cream, butter, cheese. I can sometimes manage a yoghourt. I do really well on steamed fish and vegetables and lots of fruit. It sounds really boring but it works for me.

Do keep in touch via this forum, there is a huge amount of knowledge here!

Very best wishes,

SueF

Thanks for your reply Sue. I'm seeing the surgeon again today and am planning to discuss enzymes with him, as I'm not currently prescribed any.

Hi Rachel, definately early days, twelve days gosh - I was in hospital for fifteen days, it wasn't a whipples op. I had, it was the other end - the body and tail of my pancreas etc. so, take it steady, and yes, would think that you need creon (I personally couldn't get on with Creon,) I was very bloated using them, and changed over to Nutrizym 22, it will be trial and error how many you need to take. I had my surgery at the University Hospital of North Staffs. who have dedicated team for pancreatic surgery - Mine was a PNET, and it is now 18 months since surgery, which was debulked, they were unable to remove it all, and I have just started to have monthly injections, to hopefully keep what is left behind stable. Of course a lot depends on your age, the younger you are, the sooner you recover, I am in my seventies. Always happy to have a chat if you wish. Carole.