Maestro trial

Guest Fifi

Hi Leila,

Just found this

" Phase 3 trial is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of gemcitabine in combination with TH-302 compared to gemcitabine in combination with placebo in subjects with locally advanced unresectable or metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma."

Will look up what TH-302 IS.

Love Jayne

"TH-302 is an investigational hypoxia-targeted drug discovered by Threshold scientists. Treating cancer by selectively targeting tumour hypoxia is a novel therapeutic approach that may be less likely to produce broad systemic toxicity seen with untargeted cytotoxic chemotherapies."

Not really sure what that means but sounds as if it does less harm to the good cells in the body and it targets the cancer cells.

Hope you are ok Leila.

love Jayne

x

Thank you Jayne.

I think what said sounds about right. So maybe, if he received the real drug, it could actual be beneficial for him, rather than only be research for future patients?

Thank you for taking the time to look it up.

Leila x

Leila

It is usual for full details of the trial drug to be given to patients for them to read prior to signing consent forms. I should ask your Dad if he has received all the pre-trial paperwork and if not chase them from the trial team. No one should be receiving treatment without this information. It will include possible side effects, how the trial drug works and the checks that will take place during treatment.

There is no need for you too be kept in the dark, unless your Dad has his own reasons for keeping the details to himself. I've always been happy to share any information with my family as I feel it helps them to support me and sometimes they grasp the science better than I do!!

Love and Peace

Mike

Fingers crossed your Dad gets the real drug Leila.

No worries about looking it up, Im trying to learn as much as I can so im armed with some suggestions when I face my husbands chemo Doctor.

Jayne

x

Thank you Jayne,

I hope he gets the real drug too. I'm already armed with question as luckily we get a full day there. My dad will be the only patient that day, and he also sees the clinical researcher who will do the pre tests, ready for Friday when he starts chemo and the trial.

I read in the paper today about a new drug called Abraxane, which should be available from Thursday. Will ask about that Tuesday as well.

Leila x

The Mail. There is a piece on Kerry Harvey, and it is at the bottom of that page. Sorry, should have stated this when I posted.

Leila x

I have emailed my MP to ask him to contact the Secretary of State for Health to ask him to ensure that Abraxane is approved by NICE ASAP. If anyone wants to do this, details of what you need to say in your email to your MP are on the link on the home page of this website, if you click on "two more months". We are lucky as this is covered by Paul's health insurance, but everyone with PC should have more treatment options.

Hope you feel a bit better today Leila, the trial sounds very promising.

Thank you Nikki,

I am feeling a little better thank you.

This is what it said in the paper today. ■ A ‘breakthrough’ drug which prolongs the lives of pancreatic cancer patients could be given the go-ahead to be prescribed on the NHS this week. Abraxane, which prolongs life by two months on average, will be considered for inclusion on the list of approved medicines on Thursday.

Leila x

PCUK Nurse Dianne

Hi Jayne,

There is a web site about the MAESTRO study that may be helpful for you to read before going to the oncology appointment. This does give you some information and there is also an on line video that you can watch, and also a very helpful downloadable brochure that you can look at too: http://www.maestrostudy.com/AboutTheSTudy.aspx.

This guide also gives you some frequently asked questions that may be in your mind as well.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Dianne

Support Team

Thank you so much Dianne, Ive also e mailed prof in London and husbands consultant to let him know what we are thinking of. Thanks for your e mail this week too.

This forum is totally amazing.

Leigha- hope your Dad is ok and hope you are okay too.

Onwards and upwards

Jayne

x