Overwhelmed - husband diagnosed, in hospital - decisions.

Larrybee

Thanks again for all the lovely, comforting comments. I'm having a 'not so good' evening and can't settle to TV or anything, so have come on here and find it helps to write things down like this.

John is having the second attempt at inserting the stent through his abdomen tomorrow. Apparently, Jenni, the first attempt was unsuccessful because the duct is so narrow - presumably from the pressure of the tumour. Am not sure, from talking to one of his doctors today, whether the bypass will now be an option if tomorrow doesn't work out. She was talking about him coming home with the bile bag if unsuccessful, and putting us in touch with the Palliative Care team and Marie Curie nurses. Time is so important, and every day in hospital is one less day we have to share properly together - although I do pray that the stent can go in and then he will be so much more comfortable when he comes home. They have also mentioned to us the risks of infection with the bag; just hope my nursing instincts are good enough. Am now doing off the wall things, like buying extra bed linen (his bag frequently leaks) - it makes me feel as though I am doing something positive!

Once again, thanks to all of you who have put responses on here; I really do appreciate them.

Hi,

Really hope it goes ok tomorrow. They made 3 attempts to get a stent in my husband endoscopically, They were successful when they next tried through his abdomen. It was a little uncomfortable for a day or too afterwards but other than that ok, so crossing fingers that they are successful tomorrow.

Nikki

Sounds like you and John are having a really tough time. Best wishes for success tomorrow so that he can get home and sit in his chair with Molly at his feet. I've no experience of stents or bypasses, thank goodness but trust they can manage to effect the best option for John without further hold ups.

Love and Peace

Mike

Sorry to hear they are struggling so much with the stent, but I certainly hope the next attempt does the trick. I, like Mike have no experience with stents as my tumour developed in the lower part of the Pancreas head (Uncinate Process) which is not too close to the bile duct, but unfortunately snuggles right up to the blood vessels. I do however know that the stent works very well once in place. Again, good luck for tomorrow.

Steve

X

SUCCESS! Thanks again for all the supportive comments - the stent was inserted via the abdomen this morning and when he came back to the ward I just wept with relief. I know it's still a terminal condition, but I felt elated - because we have been given better quality time to share together and he will be more comfortable. Just a few days now in hospital, I think, to ensure everything is working as it should.

I have been reading some of your stories - Cathy, I really felt for you and you have been such a comfort to me, along with so many of you, with your comments on here. I hope that I will be strong enough to do as you are doing and at some time in the future be able to help someone else.

That's great news you must be feeling so relieved now enjoy your evening and look forward to sharing your evenings at home together soon. I'm sure Molly can't wait to have him home.

Good luck

Nikki

So pleased to hear the stent insertion was successful. Hope John is soon feeling a lot better and as Cathy says hope he gets to enjoy that chair soon!

Keep on keeping on

Julia x

Hi Larrybee,

I am delighted that John's stent has been successfully inserted. My Dad's had his in for just over a month. He looks (jaundice has gone) and feels so much better. He has even been up to having some day trips out around the Lakes this week which was not the case a couple of weeks ago!

We are hoping that on Tuesday when he sees his oncologist, he thinks Dad is strong enough for Chemo!

Let us know how John likes his chair! I was wondering about getting Dad one as he currently puts his legs up on their coffee table,

All the best

Jane

Hi Larrybee,

Very glad to hear the procedure was successful today and hopefully your husband will feel better soon.

Will be thinking of you both,

Hilary

Great news!! Everything crossed for John's continued progress. It will be wonderful for you to share some quality time at home and for Molly to have her master there to worship. One of my Jack Russells, much loved Lola, has turned into a Ninjah seemingly able to make herself invisible to sneak up onto my chair or even negotiate two closed doors to end up in bed with me!!

Love and Peace

Mike

Hi there, Glad John is home again, and Molly will be so pleased, like you too of course, to have him there, lol at your Lola Mike, sneaky little girls those Jacky Russells, we have just bought a Shih Tzu puppy for Trevor, she is 11 weeks, we have only had her a week, and she already cries when he leaves the room !!! but he loves her to bits sandrax

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Wonderful news indeed Larrybee, and of course, we can appreciate that it is all these "little" things which make a difference - something went right, and it changes the perspective a bit.

Well done to John for his endurance, and I am sure that Molly will be faithfully waiting for him. Nice to hear your stories of your dogs folks - they are a real joy. Though Mike, I am glad my greyhound does not try the Lola tricks!

You are all an inspiration to one another, and to us.

Jeni, Support Team.

What a lovely group of people you are - such great comments; thanks. Yesterday they went back into his abdomen to brush some cells for the oncologist (we shall then see if and whether chemo is possible, and whether John wants it when we go for an outpatients appointment shortly). The best news is that he is coming home tomorrow - after I got back from the hospital today I have been buzzing round like a demented creature, getting his bed ready, packing clothes for him to come home in and, most importantly, visiting the supermarket to buy all the things the dietician says would be good for him. (If I were on a diet, then the enriching diet they have suggested would look like heaven to me!)

So, on to the next phase of this 'journey' (don't really like that expression, but it feels like one!). Have been told the palliative care team will be contacting me when he gets home and I have prepped two large tupperware boxes for his meds - short of a nurse's uniform I am ready for anything! Seriously, though, I know that there will be difficult times ahead and I just pray that I am as strong as so many of you have been. I'll just take each day at a time.

One day at a time is the only way to go, its a roller coaster journey, the highs and the lows, I never thought I would ever cope,before Trevor was diagnosed I cried over every little thing but now when we get the bad news I find I can be strong, have to be to help them. and I for one like the word journey better than fight. The nurses' uniform might bring a smile to John's face though !!!! sandrax