Blood Tests: Markers and Sugar

SAL

My mum recently died of pancreatic cancer which we believe was advanced. Mum had a blood tests at her doctors and had a raised marker and sugar in her blood which she had no treatment for, she later had blood tests and we were told there were no markers, is this possible? How long does it take for a tumour to grow mums was about 4cmx7cm.

Hi Susan

Im so sorry to hear about your Mum.

Can't answer the question re tumour markers but the raised blood sugar could be as a result of the pancreas not producing enough insulin.

I have also read that it can take years for a tumour to develop on the pancreas.. The problem is that it may not create any symptoms as it develops and so people are unaware until it might be too late to do anything about it other than manage symptoms.

Take care

Cathy xx

Thank you for your reply, mum did have markers in her blood and sugar but they seemed to disappear when she had more blood tests. My dad and I believe her tumour was well advanced as she was suffering from a lot of pain before she went in to hospital.

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Susan,

Welcome to the forums.

Perhaps you can email us at support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk and we can help with this?

In the first instances, can you obtain a copy of the blood results, so that we know exactly what markers you are talking about? This will help us to help you more efficiently.

Kind regards,

Jeni, Support Team.

Hi Susan, just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss. This is a devastating cancer, no question. We never got told much detail so I have sent for all the medical records. I have received GP records and they have been useful. It costs about £30/40.

Best regards

Julia x