Thought for the Day 4th August

MSH

Yes, I particularly liked the reference to the fact that none of us have that long really. I think one of the hardest tasks for those with any terminal illness is to try to get back to the frame of mind most of us inhabit, which is we know we're going to die but not when so we tend not to think about it. Someone we knew died unexpectedly the week before Rob and I couldn't help thinking that he'd been spared the living with the diagnosis!

Didge, I take a very different view. I think one of the advantages of this disease is that it makes us face up to our own mortality. Something we all know but as you say tend not to think about. In the words of the good reverend "As he stares down the intimidating frame of death give him a richer sense of the wonder of living."

Yes Mark, I have heard that many patients feel that way after their cancer diagnosis and I suppose having now lost 2 partners to cancer I have been glorying in life ever since I lost the first one in my early 30s. Perhaps that is why I would much rather go quickly as I'm not sure it provides the same insight and comfort to the partners. But perhaps that us just me and it was beautifully written.

No didge I agree with you, I'd rather just go when my time has come. I do understand both sides, but perhaps watching it not actually being the one going through it gives us a different point of view. Was interesting to listen to, but if I asked a priest to pray for me I hope he'd pick option 1 on the prayers list!

Rob