South East Wales Support Group

Slewis7313

Tomorrow is the first Support Group meeting in Newport (Gwent). Venue is St Davids Hospice, Malpas. Timings are 10:30 to 14:30. This has been advertised on FaceBook, but I thought I'd publicise it here as well.

Steve

How did the support group go, Steve? The London one is flagging with very sporadic meetings so I hope yours went well. Did you have any problem with it being during the day rather than evening? Wouldn't that rule out workers attending?

There was actually a very good turnout, though I had nothing to do with the organisation. Jeni and Debbie attended to represent PCUK. It turned out to be very interesting as I met a 74 year old gentleman who had been recently diagnosed. He was obviously very fit, but had been told that chemo would be horrendous and only give him an extra 2 months! He was amazed to speak to someone who had survived chemo and was still going strong after 2 years. He left the meeting to drive straight to his GP to insist on being given chemo immediately. A result!

Steve

X

It does bring home how different people's experiences and advice are! I hope he does well if he goes for it. And I do think support groups make such a difference - no matter how much support you get from forums it is so nice to meet people in person.

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Thank you Steve for your wonderful support and inspiration to that family in question.

You are amazing.

What a wonderful day it was - I must say I was saddened again, but shows the needs for these groups.

See you soon!

Jeni.

Blimey Steve that is quite scarey. Well done you for inspiring someone else to not give up, sounds like the poor bloke had been written off - shocking!

Julia x

It really is scarey that people are met with such vastly differing levels of support and advice. In all fairness, Jeni did the groundwork with this, but I was certainly able to reassure them by simply being there 2 years post-diagnosis.

Steve

X