Any help or guidance appreciated

Jackjo

Hi, I have not had cause to come on here much since my Mum's diagnosis in 2011 - she has surpassed all odds and is still battling her terminal diagnosis with chemo both tablet form and infusion. Anyway, just before Christmas she began suffering intense pain in her front side on the left and this radiates through to her back. Her eating has begun to decrease as she is being sick again bringing up mainly bile. She has been managing the pain fairly well but in the last week or so it has become unbearable and tonight she actually called an ambulance it was so bad.

My Mum does not tell my sister and I how bad things are but I know she handles a lot of pain without moaning and so for her to do this means it was really bad. We both live a flight away so she doesn't tell us stuff either so I don't know what she has or hasn't told us about this.

Her last scan showed no change in her tumour and no spread but they don't seem to know what is causing this pain and there seems to be no rush to get to the bottom of it which is quite frustrating as I don't like her to be left in such continual pain.

Has anyone had experience of similar issues with this type of pain. My mum has no stent in her bike duct at present and is not jaundiced. They think it could be spleen related but her GP has also mentioned gastritis. I have no issues with how well she has been looked after as she has lasted so long even after a prognosis of 9 months but any hint of things to think of or to ask specifically about would be great!

Jackie

claralondon

Hey jackie,

Sorry your mum is going through this. The only thing I could think of would be some kind of infection in the biliary system. Someone close to me has had those whilst undergoing chemo. But then if your mum doesn't have a stent and the disease is stable (thank God!!!) then it seems unlikely? Hmmm. Hope you get it sorted and like others recommend on here, don't be shy in being kind but firm in making sure they sort this for your mum! Given she's otherwise doing amazingly it would be just not right for her to have something like this compromise her quality of life. Keep us updated.

Thank you for the response, I realise it is a request that is not easy to help with! I am just at a bit of a loss with what is going on but take totally on board what you say about being kind but firm and had that exact same conversation with my sister last night. My mum is at the hospital today for her usual treatment slot and has already booked with her nurse to see the consultant and other scans have been pushed for but at least they can do something to address the pain level.

Btw I totally did my Mum a disservice as she was actually diagnosed in 2010 (November) - she has battled this horrible disease since then, in a way how well she has done has made us all a bit blasé and so not being well now has come as quite a shock!

Sending good wishes and thoughts to all others on this board and thanking you for caring

Jackie

Your mum has done fantastically well Jackie, Good on her and good on you, being in her corner. I think you are right to be firm. Everyone will make the assumption, and it is a reasonable one, that this pain is to do with her pancreatic cancer in some way. But it may not be - she could have a stomach ulcer for example. So is it possible, I wonder, to start over, get a doc to take a very careful history and organise investigations, without making assumptions if you see what I mean.

hth

Sue

Hi Jackie

I do hope the investigations that are ongoing uncover what is going on and get on top of your Mum's pain. I'm not qualified (some of our forum family are, thankfully) to hazard any guess so will not try but do suggest you ring the support team or email them direct if you want any further info/expert advice. Definitely a time to be assertive and push for answers. Good luck - I do hope your Mum is feeling better soon (she has done amazingly well, what a star!)

with love

Deb

x