Dear dad

Med5

Hi,

Sadly we are new to the forum as my dad has just recently been diagnosed with the dreaded illness, but already we are finding comfort from all who have discussed their experiences on this forum and great help as we move forward as a family to comfort and support him.

The diagnoses is not good and he is undergoing tests for a period of chemo but in our heart of hearts we understand that it will only be a matter of time.

The emotions are so raw as no doubt all of you have experienced and we are fighting our way through it with hours of discussion, hugs, gallons of tears and with an emptyness of watching dad in so much pain. And watching mum is so heartbreaking, but she will not be alone and will be given support every hour of the day with many a cuddle and hugs. I hope she reads this as she tries to be so brave, but we are there to support you.

As I am new to this and feeling so emotional with a foggy mind and suggested by my so supportive wife, I have posted this brief entry to start dealing with everything this so destructive illness has caused. I am sure to add to it in the coming days and weeks but with so many wonderful comments and support expressed we know we are not alone.

With all our love, best wishes and big hugs to you all.

Alison and Kev

xx

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Dear Alison and Kev,

Welcome to the forums.

I am very sorry to hear that your dad has had a diagnosis of PC. It is a shock to take this in, and such an emotional time for all affected by it.

There is a wonderfully supportive community on here, and no doubt they will be a source of support and inspiration to you over the coming weeks and months.

If you have any medical questions or concerns about pancreatic cancer, or its related treatment etc..., then please do not hesitate to email us at support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk.

Kind regards,

Support Team.

Dear Kevin and Alison, I was very touched by your posting. Thanks for getting us in touch with this forum, I'm sure it's going to be very helpful to us all, much love xx

Hi Kevin and Alison - am I right in thinking Pam is Mum?

Welcome to the forum all of you - so very sorry to hear about Dad, you must all be absolutely devastated but glad that you have found this site. You can be certain that you are not alone and your forum family will be here for you whenever you need a shoulder to cry on, a listening ear or have questions. You, like most of us, will probably know very little about this disease and will have found PCUK to be a wonderful source of information already - the support team are absolutely wonderful so do take them up on their offer to contact them directly. I did this many times when my husband was battling and I simply could not have coped without them.

Do let us know how things go - we will do all we can to help you through this.

With love

Deb

x

Dear Alison and Kev,

my thoughts are with you right now, the people on this website are wonderful, they have really helped me through my father having PC and I know they will do the same for you. Sometimes we all just need somewhere to have a cry or a rant, and sometimes just reading other peoples stories helps.

Wishing you all the love and hope possible, Jacqui xx

Hi,

Thankyou for your kind comments. My dad has his pre-op next monday and then booked in for his liver biops friday next week. So will take it a day at a time.

Currently he has with the help of some morphine and certain tablets (sorry unable to remember at the moment)is eating some solid food and keeping it down and advised by the dietition that he won't need to start taking Creon till later. Again take it a day at a time.

Sadly friends of ours have also experienced pan c and have offered great deal of advice and with this forum is helping an awefull lot. Mum is keeping strong with plenty of emotional moments which has been good for the soul and not bottled up, although she's not best pleased with me from my prompting that Sky Sports plugged back in for him to watch back to back cricket !!! Sorry mum... t hee. She doesn't really mind though.

Anyway, as mentioned before we'll take it day at a time and take it as it comes. Would like to update this every now and then if ok.

Best wishes to you all

Alison and Kevin

Hi Alison and Kevin - glad to hear that your Dad's medication is keeping him pain free and eating OK - all good to keep his strength up and no doubt Sky Sports excellent for keeping his morale high! You are right to just take each day as it comes - there will be a lot of do and take in and really can only be dealt with a step at a time. Glad you have friends with some knowledge who can help you along the way and that you find this site useful. Glad to know you will keep us posted - we will, of course, continue to think of you and send love and positive vibes.

Deb

x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alison and Kev,

We too are dealing with a recent diagnosis - my dad. Like yours, he is spending a lot of time watching cricket on Sky!

I'm new to this forum too but I already know it will be invaluable and, regardless of the outcome in my own situation, I know I'll be here for a very long time. I hope I'll be able to give advice and support to others. It's amazing how coming together with shared experiences can help us cope with such a devastating situation.

Keep posting and take care.

Kate

x

I can only reiterate what everyone else has said. PC was never on our radar and we never thought my husband's symptoms would lead to such a diagnosis.

Information and support is crucial and you'll get plenty here.

Good luck on your journey. x