Low platelets

Wife

Hello again! And panicking again! We went for my husband's 8th chemo today and were told that he can't have it because his platelet level is too low (60). They will wait until next week. In the meantime, we have to watch out for bruises and bleeding that will not stop. First thing I did coming back home was to look for info in the web. Have read horrible accounts, with all sorts of possible consequences. Probably should have kept away and just listened to our nurse, but it is unbearable to know that we have even less control over my lovely partner's health. If you have any info or experience, wold you please let me know? Thanks.

hi wife!

bri never had any problems with low platelets, but am aware that many people do, so deep breath, try not to panic, regain control eh!

our usual pattern used to be we would go to our own gp on mon/tues for his bloods to be taken, the results were always sent to our oncologist as well as to the gp, this was for treatment thurs/fri, so should there have been any probs wth results we would have been told, or could ring and find out, prior to presenting ourselves at hosp,

with bloods being done at gps it was a much shorter stay at chemo, or is it poss you could go in the day before to have bloods done at hosp, would think you could get an option, i know it wont alter the outcome of the bloods, but takes anxiety out of the equasion a bit

it also means the treatment dept have the reults in advance and can order the chemo to be made up for you.

hope this helps, chin up you are both doing well

love laura xx

Hello there, I don't have any experience of this in PC. But my mum also had breast cancer 10 years ago. Her platelets and white blood cells were always low and she never had her chemo on time. Other than one infection that she had to have a week in hopsital for she was fine and managed to finish her chemo. Good luck and keep calm xx

Don't panic, my husband did have instances where his platelets were low and chemo was delayed. It is not unusual and they soon replenish - I am sure they will keep a close eye and will continue with treatment as soon as it is safe. Chemo does knock the body and often the platelets will become low or the white blood count will be effected in the same way. Regular blood tests ensure that chemo only goes ahead if the body can tolerate it and delaying can be frustrating but going ahead regardless would do much more harm than good. Will keep my fingers crossed that your husband's levels come back into the acceptable range to continue. I was also one for googling everything as I always wanted to know what we were dealing with but remember to keep a balance between knowledge is power/ignorance is bliss!

Much love

Deb

x

PCUK Nurse Dianne

Hi 'Wife',

Sorry that you are having an uncertain time with your husband's chemotherapy. As some of the forum family have already stated, this can be normal during chemotherapy, especially with consecutive doses. In most cases it can be the white cell count (WCC) that is affected and if this drops to low it does increase the risk of infection. With platelets it affects the clotting of the blood, so caution with shaving, also vigourous cleaning of teeth is important (can cause bleeding gums). As you have been told, be aware of any bruising, often people also find that a small knock (ie bumping into furniture for example) would give a bigger bruise than normally expected, this is due to the slow clotting. Also be aware any cuts can take longer to stop bleeding.

As others have mentioned, this usually corrects itself by stopping the chemotherapy for a week or so, and just means that your husband would continue on the monitoring he is currently having.

Please feel free to email or phone the support line at any time if you have questions or we can help.

Kind regards,

Dianne

Support Team

Thank you for your answers, support and fingers crossed. I wonder if there will be a time when I too can become supportive. At the moment everything is difficult, unreal and impossible. The pain is overwhelming and the suffering of our children devastates us. Tried to have some hope in the New Year, but it was the saddest ever. Thank you again and again.

I can relate to your feeling of sadness and being totally overwhelmed with the situation you find yourself in. It is, as you say, impossibly difficult and you will be drawing on every ounce of your strength to be a supportive wife and mum. I do hope you are able to get enough rest as I can remember how exhausting it can be - the never-ending, constant worry and thinking about what is happening, what needs to be done, what might happen next and on and on it continues. People think about New Year as a time of new beginnings but in our situation, it can become something much darker and it is difficult to think beyond the next day without becoming very fearful. Try to take one day at a time and have small hopes for each day, ones that can be managed and may give you a small lift and a smile. Suddenly the very small and simple things become massive so I do hope that this helps. You will be doing an excellent job, I know, and we all send our love to you and your family.

Deb

x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Wife,

Regarding your post about the low platelets, 60 really is not too low. Yes, it is too low to have chemotherapy , as this can lower it further, and need to avoid this. But, he should be fine with a count of 60. More important if he cuts himself, or knocks himself etc...as the clotting might take longer.

In haematological conditions, some patients platelets fall below 10, and this is what is classed as medically urgent, as these patients can bleed a lot. So, a count of 60 is substantially higher, and your husband should be fine with it.

Try not to panic, and contact us instead of going on the Net, as this can be very worrying if you have not got an in-depth understanding of it. It will also show you the very worst case scenarios, whereas the reality is that the body is very resilient, and can regenerate platelets on its own, with time.

Kind regards,

Jeni.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Thank you all. You are right, going on to the Internet is a nightmare and very difficult to avoid late at night. Like moths to the light, I am drawn to it and always come away more upset. My husband is suffering from nausea and vomiting in the evening. He eats well and a while afterwards develops nausea and vomits. This upsets him greatly and last night he broke down for the first time. Now I am feeling guilty because I cried and did not give him the space to talk about his feelings, but ended up taking care of me. Feeling so bad and selfish today!

Hi Wife,

Please don't be so hard on yourself. Your emotions are all over the place and sometimes the tears are just inevitable. We understand your feelings on here so just vent them all. I find my friends to be a major support and hopefully you will be able to seek comfort from yours. Post questions on here. Other people have plently of experience of the situation and will be able to offer invaluable advice and support.

Be strong 'wife' and look after yourself too

Sending big hug

Karen xx

Hi - so sorry to hear that your husband is feeling and being so sick and it is awful to see our strong men struggle. How can you not get upset about that? I have a feeling that my husband kept a lot of his fears and emotions to himself because I found it very hard not to become upset. I feel guilty about that, as I look back. Although I know I am an incredibly strong person, I am also a "crier" and wear my heart on my sleeve. I wish he had known that my crying did not mean I could not cope or that I needed looking after, it was just my expression of what I was feeling and that it would have been OK for us to just cry together because, after all, it was/is all so bloody sad! Perhaps it might be worth talking about that and agreeing that you can be sad together and it is not up to anyone to be brave or to shield the other one, or try and make things better when sometimes you just need to share your mutual fears and sadness together. Perhaps it is just the way we differ as men and women - one wanting to protect and fix everything, the other wanting to care and nurture. You obviously care deeply about one another and that is the important thing and it will get you through this difficult time. Keep strong and take care of each other.

Lots of love

Deb

Hello wife,

You're right about the internet it is a demon of a place at times!! Please don't feel guilty about having your own feelings and emotions. This disease affects everyone, and I don't think any of us want to see our loved ones in pain, suffering or think about the journey ahead. No one has to be strong all the time.

Take care Catherine xx

hi wife, does your hubby have anti emetic tablets, if not do ask for some, they gave us ours at chemo, or via the dr,

i used to give bri 2 Domperidone BEFORE a meal, 4 times a day. i treated it as preventative rather than a cure, it worked well for brian, everyone is differant, brian never actually vommited during 19 months of chemo, there are various tablets available you may have to find which ones suit your hubby best.

good luck laura x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Wife,

Sorry to hear about your husbands problems with eating and then vomiting.

I will email you directly with some more information.

KR,

Jeni.