A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Slewis7313

Re: My mom

Postby Slewis7313 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Happy news for the holidays... It's great!

Continued good fortunes into 2014 and beyond.

Steve
X

jules 2015

Postby jules 2015 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:34 am

Hi ellie
It's nice to hear some positive news for a change, hope your mum stays cancer free and wishing you both health and happiness for 2014
Julie x

cestrian

Postby cestrian » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:19 am

Hi Ellie

Great news among all the sad tidings of the past few weeks. It's really good to have something positive we can take to heart for the New Year - all too few good news stories to inspire us. Best wishes to you and your "Miracle Mum"!

Love and Peace

Mike

marie souter

Postby marie souter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:19 am

wow what awesome news

xx

elliecopter

Postby elliecopter » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:53 am

Hi everyone,

I realise I haven't posted in a while. To be honest, things have been good and I kind of felt guilty, as so many people don't have good news when it comes to PC. But I was watching Stand up to Cancer tonight (away from home by myself) and got a little emotional so wanted somewhere to come and just...let it out, as it were.

My mom's been doing really well since last Xmas, we almost forgot she was ever ill. She stopped having chemo and her 3 month scans showed no signs of the tumour returning since the RFA treatment she had last September. My sister's became pregnant (due date end of December so possible Xmas Day baby!) and we went on a big family holiday in August.

However, over the past few weeks I felt a change in mom, but I couldn't explain what. She was still looking well, still going to Zumba class etc, but something felt off. She was having her next scan result the day before my birthday (my birthday and mom's scans never seem to go well, it seems!) and I was proven right. The cancer has returned, for a 3rd time, again on her liver. It's around 5.5cm big but hasn't spread anywhere else. The thing that worries me is that it grew that much in 12 weeks, last time it was caught on a scan it had grown that much in 12 months. Not sure if that is something to worry about.

So, I wasn't shocked as such, but disappointed. My mom has her usual brave outlook but she must be devastated that she can't get rid of this horrible thing haunting her life.

Initially, her doctors were going to put her on Abraxane + gemcitabine and then hopefully shrink the tumour down enough to do RFA again. But now they're actually saying, as mom had such a good history of "being good at cancer" as my friend once put it, they're actually considering operating! The doctors have said that she will be the first patient with matastatic pancreatic cancer that they will have performed this on, so a little apprehensive!

However obviously this is good news and not doom and gloom. She's meeting with the surgeon on Monday to discuss it all, and I suppose she'll have the op soon if it gets the green light. We're now turning my sister's baby shower into a Host for Hope event and I'm hoping to do some fundraising of my own.

PC has been in our lives for 5 years now and my mom has beaten the odds time and time again. I know she is strong and can keep fighting, but I don't know for how long. My worst fear at the moment is that this doesn't work, or it does and just keeps coming back. I know my mom will only be able to cope for so long before it gets too much, and there's so much of my life I need her to be a part of. I felt like this back when my sister was getting married last year, and I feel the same now she's having a baby. Mom will definitely see her first grandchild, but I don't know if she'll see me in a wedding dress, and that really hurts, even with the positive news right now.

I'm really trying to be positive, but there are times when I just freeze and am so scared about losing her. I hate that this disease seems to tease us with a promise of never returning, but ends up coming back anyway. Anyway, just needed to get some thoughts down out of my head. I wish everyone on here love and the best of luck with everything.

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:59 pm

Hi Ellie,
It's good to hear that you Mum has been doing so well, but I know this won't make the current set back any easier to bear. It's incredibly hard not knowing what the future holds. I have spent the last year and a half hoping that my husband will make it to the next birthday, anniversary etc. but not being able to think far ahead is tough.
It sounds like you mum has a really dynamic team, which is great. So combined with that, your mum's strength and your love it sounds like she has a good chance of getting past this latest hurdle.
Best wishes,
Nikki
Ps I was a Christmas Eve baby and have always thought it was a magical time to be born!

elliecopter

Postby elliecopter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Nicki - thanks, Mum is fantastic and it really helps me be more positive as she's never let anything get her down, but obviously you can't help worrying. And I'm positive the baby will be born Xmas Eve/Day as my sister has a pechant for drama! We're all set to have Xmas at hers if needs be :)

Her surgery has been confirmed for this Sunday coming. They're going to remove half of her liver (amazingly, it will apparently grow back within 2-3 weeks?!) and they've said she'll probably have to stay in for 10 days. I'm going to make sure she has films and shows on her iPad to watch for when she goes in.

I actually booked tickets for her birthday to see Top Hat at our local theatre, they were for this Saturday. I booked back in Feb as a surprise and invited her sisters and friends etc. Thankfully, the theatre have been lovely and we're going to see it this Thursday instead. I had to tell Mum about it because we were rearranging but I'm happy she'll get to see it before she goes to hospital.

I think I'll have to find something to do on Sunday as the op will be a good few hours and all I'll be doing is biting my fingernails!

Didge

Postby Didge » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi Ellie - have not posted for a while but have been uplifted by your mum's amazing story and hope that this is just the latest hiccup in the line and she will soldier on. I also hope you don't mind me putting in an amusing anecdote re your struggles with coming to terms with the likelihood that your sister gets to have your mum see her get married and see her child, but you may not. I have 5 children with a 13 year age gap and one day at my parents' dinner table, my youngest (then about 14) announced that it was not fair that when I die he will have had a mum for 13 years less than his eldest sibling. None of us had ever thought about that! I guess all you can do in all life's little and big 'unfairnesses' is cherish what you have this moment and focus on life today and not the fear of life's tomorrows. Hard I know, and something I struggle with every day, but the only way to live life the way it should be lived. I'll be thinking of you and your mum this weekend and also hope you enjoy the show Thursday.

elliecopter

Postby elliecopter » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:49 pm

So mom is now in hospital. Op tomorrow morning. We spent over an hour at the hospital trying to fix the TV in her room as it was broken, as she was desperate to still watch Strictly, but we showed her how to watch it on her iPlayer so she was happier then. Funny that this was the most pressing issue on her mind!!

My dad will be going there tomorrow to be with her before/during/after, but I won't see her until Monday night now. I don't really know what I'll do with myself tomorrow. I think I'll just try to keep busy.

Didge - thanks, I hope my mom's story is uplifting. She is such a strong person and I just wish more people had her luck! And you're very right about cherishing the moment. My sister's 10 years older than me so we have a big gap, but I'm just going to focus on making my own memories with mom and not feeling sad about things that I may not get to share with her.

Oh yeah, and the show was amazing on Thursday - my mom was so so happy. I loved that I'd made her that happy.

Didge

Postby Didge » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:45 pm

Thinking of you today, Ellie. Hope all goes well. And entirely understandable that your mum wanted to watch Strictly - it's the little 'normalities' of life that help us cope with the trauma!
x

SusannaUK

Postby SusannaUK » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Hi Ellie,

Your Mum is amazing! I hope the operation went well today.
Thinking of you both.
Susanna x

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:36 pm

Hi Ellie, how wonderful is your Mum, hope everything went as planned today, take care sandrax

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:00 am

Hi Ellie,
Hope all went well,
Love,
Nikki

elliecopter

Postby elliecopter » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks everyone, mom's op went well. The surgeon says he's really pleased - they only had to remove 30% of her liver (instead of 60%) but they did remove some of her diaphragm as well. We're waiting on the results on that - they are very intrigued about mom's cancer as they say it doesn't act like they expect PC to.

I saw her tonight, only got back an hour ago. She is in pain, understandably, but is back in her room and not in critical care. She's drowsy and feels a bit sick but looks a lot better than I thought she would - definitely a lot better than how she looked after she had her whipple operation.

The nurses have been lovely with her and she's just phoned to say good-night. I'm seeing her again tomorrow after work.

I'm very relieved right now, feeling a lot happier. I just hope that mom is able to recover and enjoy Christmas/a new baby without anything else coming along!

I hope everyone is well, sending all my love. I do feel so guilty posting sometimes...I know how lucky I am and I only wish everyone else could have the good news we have had. I hope one day everyone can.

Didge

Postby Didge » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:28 pm

Great news, Ellie. And never ever feel guilty about posting good news. We love good news and we get precious little of it!