My Dad, gone so soon

lorn

Hello,

I came across PC.org site when my dad was diagnosed with PC 6 weeks ago. My poor mum was so in the dark about PC I sent off for the booklet, she and my dad found this a gentle informative read. I started researching PC to find out exactly what it entailed and how best we could help my dad and his fight against this truly dreadful disease. I began reading many peoples situations and was about to start writing on this forum myself when my dad suddenly collapsed 3 weeks ago and heartbreakingly he died a week later.

I am utterly devastated and still in total shock as are my family and my mum...4 weeks from diagnosis to...gone...all those questions..why didnt we know sooner, how has it happened so quickly, could we have done something...etc. It was a blood clot that caused a PE.

I hate this disease

So sorry to hear about your Dad. You are right, this truly is a hateful disease. My husband died in April at just 46 years old and I ask myself every day what could have saved him. PC is sneaky and often diagnosed far too late to cure. All we can do is raise awareness of it - I knew nothing of it before it struck me personally. I went to a funeral yesterday of the mother of a good friend - also a victim of PC. It is awful. PCUK is doing all it can and all we can do is spread the word, raise money, help them any way we can. Sending lots of love in what must be a very difficult time for you and your family. This forum is full of people who understand and will always reach out to offer comfort and understanding. Take care of yourself.

love

Deb

hello lorn, what an awful shock for you all, pc is truly no respector of gender,age, or length of diagnosis, such early days for you all, just maybe, you might later on, be able to be grateful that your dad didnt suffer or have a long drawn out illness !

but for now look after yourself and mum and be kind to yourselves. love laura

Oh Lorn,

I am so very very sorry this has happened to you and your family. I cannot even begin to imagine how you are feeling. The shock from the initial diagnosis is still so fresh, yet alone the horrendous events that have happened since.

This is truly a terrible disease, it is sneaky, deceptive and can be very rapid. You must feel that you have been robbed. Don't try to make sense of your emotions at the moment. You have been through such an awful few weeks, and you will have to take each day by day. There will be days when you are so angry, crying, screaming, disbelief, guilt every possibly emotion under the sun. You could not have done more for your Dad than you did.

Please, and I know how easy it is for me to say, don't beat yourself up. I can reiterate Laura's words, maybe, it could be a long time off, you might see your Dad going as soon as he did differently. Please don't take that the wrong way, I know there are words that have gone unsaid, as you expected him around a lot longer, and have time to make memories. Having lived through my mum fighting to the bitter end, I now, six months after her dying, can honestly say, I wish she had gone sooner, and not in so much pain.

Lots of love and hugs to you and your family.

louie xxx

Helen Henderson

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear this. I found this website a few weeks ago when my dad was also diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Sadly he died 3 weeks after diagnosis, on June 12th, so I can totally relate to what you're going though. Unfortunately I can offer no words of wisdom as I too am in complete shock, I think we just have to believe that we will get through it and be able to be happy again - just in a different way than we might have planned or hoped for.

Take care,

Helen xx

H

My mum died last year. 12 th June. Prob ,about 10 weeks from not feeling Hungary

Diagnosed properly on lune 6 th. we were told 7th. Took mum home that day, thinking a few weeks, But not to be-very quick Ashe slept away on the 12 June. previously tilll. Feb 2010. Driving /golfing. Etc. -not an oldie !!

Hello

To everyone that has posted to me over the past year---thanks,it does help to log on here and post to someone who has been through this horrific illness. X

Hello Lorn, very sorry to read about your Dad, what a massive shock for you and your family! PC is so scary. Hope you find strength to get through this difficult time, Take care Rachel x