Really confused

Barbara2

Hi again,

Thank you all for your kind words and support, I'm sorry I haven't replied to you sooner, at the moment I am really struggling, I'm finding it very hard to come to terms with everything that's happened. My husband is still in hospital and is quite low, he's coped so well but is finding things difficult at present, he desperately wants to come home but is not quite stable enough as yet. We are pushing the docs all the time but do recognise he needs a little more time to recover. Our hospital is a 50 mile round trip so I'm spending most of my time driving there and back to visit so have not had much time.

I want to say that I continue to be amazed at the level of support offered here, particularly given everyone has either been through or is facing their own struggle with this devastating disease, its a real testament to human compassion and genuine concern for others. Thank you so much.

Barbara xx

Hi Barbara,

So sorry to hear you're husband is still in hospital and feeling low - it's no wonder that you feel you are struggling. Things have moved at a terrifying pace for you both.

My dad during his Whipples and for 3 months afterwards for various reasons was at a hospital over 50 miles away and it can really take it's toll. I hope you've got some friends and family you can lean on for practical and emotional support.

I'm sure you're both so keen for him to come home and I really hope he does soon. I'm sure they will let him at the earliest opportunity. I remember feeling so awful at my dad wanting to come home and telling him that he couldn't. It's really important they manage your husbands infection and pain. You're doing all you can to stay onto them and get him home as quickly as possible.

stay strong and be as brave as you can.

Thinking of you x

Hi Barbara

It's really not surprising you are struggling: the shock, the worry and the understandable tiredness all play a part. Ted was like your hubby...never wanted to be in hospital, but it's the right place for your husband right now. Hopefully, he will be fit enough to come home soon.

Thinking of you both.

Nicki

Was really excited on Wednesday to hear I was getting my husband home on Thursday, all went well initially although he was very tired all day Friday. Also his wound from the bypass surgery had partially opened up and the district nurses were coming in to dress it daily, unfortunately by Saturday ascites was leaking from the wound at an alarming rate, soaking the dressing, his PJ's and even the bedclothes within minutes, so despite his protestations (I had to go against his wishes and call the doctor out)he was readmitted to hospital on Sunday morning. I dont know how much more of this rollercoaster to Hell either of us can take - I just want him home. I know he is in the right place at the moment but I feel like a complete heel. I know we have to stay positive if we are going to get through this so I have decided to view this as a temporary blip in our greater plan and am hoping he'll be back home again soon. Surely we're due a break soon?

Barbara

Dear Barbara,

I haven't really been back on the site for a while - but so sad to hear how things are for you and your husband. I hope that it picks up for you soon. Thinking of you,

S

• 1 month later...

I haven't used the forum for a while but I just wanted to let everyone know my husband passed away yesterday having been given a dual daignosis of PC and bowel cancer 12 weeks ago, he put up a brave fight and was at home with us until the end which is what we all wanted. I am so very proud of him and will miss him more than I can express. He was 54 four weeks ago and we were able to share his birthday with him, I have a heart full of memories and will treasure all our special times.

I want to thank everyone on the forum for their support, it has meant a lot and helped me cope through this devastating time. Love to everyone and I wish you the strength to fight your own individual battle with PC and the grief it causes.

Barbara xxx

Dear Barbara

I am so very sorry for your loss.

My heart felt condolences are with you at this terribly sad time.

Much love and strength.

Louie xxx

dear barbara, am so sorry to read that your dear husband has lost his battle with this devastating disease, so glad that you were all able to be at home together.

wishing you strength and some peace, take care of yourself

love laura xx

farmers wife

Dear Barbara,

I am so very sorry to read about the loss of your lovely husband. Your battle is nearly over, but the fight goes on against this horrendous disease.

Please know that you and your family are thought of with love and prayers at this sad time. I hope that peace will come to you all now.

With love, Karen x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Dear Barbara,

I am so very sorry to hear about the sad loss of your husband. I know this has been a torrid time for you all, so it is good that he was able to be at home and have his birthday with you all.

Please accept my personal condolences as well as those of the charity at your loss.

Kind regards,

Jeni.