Help!!

PB

:(

Hi All

My Father was diagnosed with Pancreas Cancer 29/03/2007 after being ill for 4 weeks. He is waiting to see a consultant(11/04) for the camera down and stent. He is very jaundiced but we have told this due to the bile not emptying form Gall Blabber etc. and I know the Stent thingy should help this.

He also has shadows on his liver and the GP has told us it is inoperable and he may not be able to have Cemo or Radio.

From the little we know and reading the info. on this and other sites, I know the prognosis isn't good, especially as it appears to have spread to the liver.

The most alarming sympton at the moment is the weight loss and lack of apetite I asked the doctor to perscribe protein drinks to help.

Any advice and support you can offer would be greatly recieved, also who is the 'Top Man' i.e. best in the field in the UK as I want him to see the best Consultant.

He is only 69, never been ill in his life.

Px

Penny

Thanks for the reply. Yes, he is having ERCP (couldn't remember the technical term). The GPs says, he cannot have Cemo/Radio because it's difficult to give that treatment for cancer in the part of the body he has it in.

He is in very good health concidering, he has some pain but it's not too bad and is controling it with Co-Codamol at the moment. Like I said it's mainly the Jaundice and the weight lost that I am concerned about. He is alittle tired but is managing to get out and about most days.

He is based in North Yorkshire and will go to Harrogate for the ERCP but the Consultant's secratary has mentioned he maybe refered to Leeds depending upon the out come of the ERCP.

From what I have read on the website I am thinking of telephoning Liverpool and asking how long for an apointment with the Professer there, he seems to be a good person in the North of England.

I need to find as much information as possible before our first visit to the Consultant so, I can ask as many questions and understand as much as possible about what's going on.

Going to Tescos tomorrow to buy him some nice food to snack on to try and mitigate this weight lots. I am thinking of Channel Islands full cream milk, nuts and dried fruit.

Px

Hi there I am sorry to hear about your Dad and my thoughts and prayers go out to you.

My Mom was diagnosed 7/3/2007. Her PC is in the body of the pancreas. She is in today for her biospy before she starts chemo. She has only been given 6 to 8 which maybe extended by participation in the XX Clinical Trial. That is if she is up to it. She is now quite ill, weighing under 8 st. yesterday and her increase in pain is significant enough that we have to increase liquid morphine every 3rd day.

We are under Professor XX (see experts section of this website). He also has a great info himself at www.liv.ac.uk/Surgery/JPN.html. Once you have read his bio read "about the pancreas" on the left side of the screen. It gives great info in the background section and the section on cancer of the pancreas.

He is a very nice man to talk to and even e-mail info to my in Canada. (I am back in the UK to stay with my Mom now). Everything I have heard or read about him is fantastic and he is obviously a leader in the field in both England and Europe.

My Mom is supposed to take part in the clinical trial, but we are doubtful about how she will withstand the chemo and whether she will have any quality of life for what time she has left, but ultimately it is her choice.

Good luck to you and your family.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Sorry for not posting for a few days but nothing much to tell about Dads condition. He went into hospital last night for ECRP today we finally got se see the consultant after nearly two weeks wait after diagnosis. She said there is very little they can do for him. She is going to try and put stents in today but basically the tumor is too large and is pressing on the Duedenum and Bile Duct and she may not be able to do it. They maybe able to try another route via the liver but Dad's blood is very thin and not clotting easily so it is a risky op.

The stenting may not cure the Jaundice as it maybe the secondarys in the liver that is causing that. If they cannot fix the Jaundice then definatly cemo is not a option.

I knew it was bad but he was in denial until the Consultant told him this last nignt, it was awful to see the truth finally hit him. He couldn't bare to ask how long he has got even though the consultant would have told him.

ECRP is at 2pm today back to the hospital at 5pm to see how it went. He should be home later this evening.

PB

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, My dad has been diagnosed with pc in the last three weeks its in the tail and they have told us surgery is not an option. we are treating with gemcitabine, and go this week to discuss chemotherapy dates and so on. I am trying to find out as many other options as I can, i would be grateful if anyone could give me some.

take care lx

Hi Lucy ... I am sorry to hear about your Dad but it is good that you have been drawn to this website. This and others can help you out enormously. You didn't give any specific details about your Dad i.e. where he is located, what age etc. My Mom's PC was in the body of the pancreas and surgery was ruled out because of vascular invasion. She was being considered for a clinical trial out of Liverpool but was told last week that she is too weak for any form of chemotherapy at this time. I think it is unlikely that she will get stronger and therefore do not expect that she will have any treatment. She is 71 years of age.

You should check into what clinical trials (if any) are open to your Dad, but make sure you get all of the details on the side effects of the chemo and expectation about what his quality of life will be.

Best wishes and my prayers are with you.

Barb

Hi Barb,

Thanx for your message. I am sorry to hear about your mum, it all seems so unreal doesn't it. My dad is 58, he has been suffering from early feb with shoulder pain and then found a lump in his right side, the GP was brilliant and tried eveything. However my dad decided to go private and following blood test where they tested for tumour markers they found he had the pc, without this private consultant I fear we may never have known. His tumour is in the tail of the pancreas involving the splenic artery with some satelites around the pancreas also, and i think some on the periteneum. In general he's in really good health. We're based in newcastle and we've seen some info on the clinical trials but don't know if he'll be a candidate.

Am starting to feel angry about it all, I've put on a brave face and have convinced myself that I'm in a bubble of positivity, my brave face though is very hard to keep on. I am grateful for this site reading about others experiences makes me feel I'm not alone. I just wish none of us had to go through this.

take care, you and your family are in my thoughts

lx

• 5 months later...
linda chesters

Dear PB

Sorry to hear about your Dad. My Mum was diagnosed with PC with secondaries in her lungs and liver in February 07. She was given the option of Chem Gemtacibine and first she refused but quickly changed her mind. We are now into the 7 month of chem and she is bearing up well although weight loss and loss of apetite have been a great problem (I cant remember the last time she ate a meal, she lives on small pieces of cake and protein drinks). Do explore anhy options open to you. I wish you all the very best.

Lucy I fully understand your feelings of anger I feel them to - I am sure we are not alone. I am sure its is pure frustration at not being able to do anything to solve the problem. Keep that positive face on for the sake of your family.

L.