confused about moms diagnosis

Laurenxoxo

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. Two years ago my mom was diagnosed with stage 2b pancreatic cancer. She had the whipple, and 12 rounds of folfirinox. About two months ago another tumor on the pancreas was found. the dr told us she should have 3 rounds of gemzar & abraxane then they would do a scan. Her scan is next week, but the dr mentioned that this now becomes stage 4 since it is a recurrence and that she may be on chemo for a very long time. Is this worth it? How do I ask the dr if it’s worth it and will it really prolong her life - any suggestions welcome :(

Sorry to hear this.

Stage 4 would usually mean spread with secondaries.

Chemotherapy for this stage is to manage symptoms, hopefully stabilise the disease so it does not increase or spread further and potentially shrink the tumour.

If it’s worth it or not is for your mum and the drs to decide, the scan will give you an idea if it’s helped. If she tolerated the chemo and everything and the she’s having less symptoms and is comfortable then it’s worth it but everyone has different levels of what they could manage physically.