A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Didge

Re: Thanks for sharing your experiences . . .

Postby Didge » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Mo, I hope the confusion gets sorted. It’s quite common with PC but can come from all sorts of causes so needs investigation. As for the ‘nasties’ we’d not be human if we didn’t crack sometimes. As long as we forgive ourselves no harm done xx

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Mo some emotions are just not discussed other than in a forum situation are they? It is such a hard thing to be supporting someone with this illness and there is no respite. You can go shopping or swimming and it is just there always and it never goes away and no one can not crack under that pressure at times. I think Veema and me had a conversation at one point on here about exactly the same issue and it being all about the patient and it was around my getting cross with dad. The burden is huge... massive... and I will admit to you now my friend that I was devastated (and still am of course) but also surprisingly relieved in some ways when dad died. I still cannot stand phones with my ring tone at the time because when it rang it sent shudders down me and most the time it was dad and I would say 'Hi dad how are you feeling are you okay' and in the last couple of months I just got "I feel shit" mostly and my day would be all about making him better. I swear I still get palpitations now at that ring tone. It was really hard and I was not the primary care giver. Chin up my lovely lady and yell at us... we can take it. x

AndAde

Postby AndAde » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:13 pm

Hi Mo, Taffy is our very grumpy shih Tzu, and Sweet Pea is our 17 year old demanding male moggie. When he was a kitten the vet said that's a strange name for a tom cat, but I named him before he was sexed, and didn't want to change it.

Hope you're having a better day today.

Regarding the eye appointment, earlier this year Adrian had an appointment with the dietician. I dragged him from his bed to get him there, only to find out we were a day late! I guess its the strain of caring. Happens to the best of us (and the horrible ones too).

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Yesterday was awful. This morning everything seemed fine, so once Peter was settled after insulin and breakfast I went to his GP to collect some prescriptions and dropped them off at the pharmacy. Then I had a half-hour swim. I phoned home at 12.08 - I noticed the time on my phone - and Peter said he didn't feel too good, so I drove straight home which took 10 minutes.

By the time I got home he had lost his speech. Everything else worked, his face wasn't distorted, so I checked his blood sugar and that was ok. The GP came straight out; his heart was in AF and his sats were 98% one minute and 77% the next.

GP called an ambulance and while we waited for it I just held his hand. He was very frightened and his speech was coming and going. Sometimes it was total gobbledegook and then he would say a whole sentence which made sense. I asked him to write down what he needed in hospital and that was just a jumble of letters.

As I am writing this he is in the CT scanner. I have to phone the ward at 23.30 to speak to the doctor.

They think it's a small bleed in the bit of his brain which controls speech. He had difficulty in understanding instructions to clench his fists and raise his eyebrows too so the neurological examination wasn't entirely satisfactory.

I phoned his son who spent ten minutes telling me all about his motorbike, so I hung up.

Boris and I are sitting up in bed having a cup of tea and the sandwich which I stuck in the fridge at lunchtime. I'm eating the bread and Boo is eating the prawns.

I'll update you tomorrow.
Love Mo

Didge

Postby Didge » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:39 pm

Mo you poor thing. And poor Peter too. I do hope they get to the bottom of it. PC is such a weird cancer. There can be so many peculiar happenings it’s often hard to work out what’s going on. Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight. Much love xx

Quickasyoucan

Postby Quickasyoucan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 am

Mo am very sorry to hear Peter is in hospital. I hope things improve for him. We are all thinking about you and sending positive thoughts. Xx

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:40 am

Hey Mo, I hope things are more stable today. He is in the best place and at least you all have additional support whilst he is in the hospital. Please let us know how things are today - you know we are all routing for you guys. x

Marmalade

Postby Marmalade » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 am

Hi Mo,

Hope you managed a little rest and that Peter is comfortable and a bit less anxious now. Love and hugs always Mo and best wishes and prayer that you both have a good day

Marmalade xxx

Marmalade

Postby Marmalade » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:17 am

Dont have regrets about anything Mo, we are not saints, we all have our breaking points and we will all be forgiven. We do our very best and no one, especially you should beat yourself up about it. Yell on here as much as you like and scream from the roof tops that this is unfair on them and on us, because it is!

M xxxxx

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:18 am

I rang the ward at 23.30 last night as instructed, and was told that "he's sleeping comfortably". So I asked to speak to the doctor and was told to phone back today.

I rang at 9.00 to be told that he's had a comfortable night, and was now resting comfortably.
The consultants and their acolytes do rounds between 9 and 11, so I asked if I should come up, because as he can't really speak I don't see how he can answer questions. "Oh yes", said the nurse, "visiting is at 2.30".

So I am comfortably sitting with Boris practicing deep breathing.

And BREATHE.

More later. Probably.
M

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 am

Hi Mo, you could try and go up there anyway. I paid no attention to dads visiting hours when he was really ill. I even took along a camp bed and pitched it up next to him the last couple of nights and no one said anything - at this point though the writing really was on the wall for poor dad and he needed the comfort of company. There was relief from him when he knew I was staying. You couldn't get on the ward after 8pm but the security guard in A&E took me up there after I had been home to freshen up and my family had left. Does he have his own room? I think once all the results come in from the scans and the blood work they do in the mornings you will be able to make more informed decisions on what is best for you both based on the prognoses. To be honest we would only have been a help when it came to dads care. I think most hospitals are flexible depending on where the patient is at in the scheme of life with PC. x

Sandiemac

Postby Sandiemac » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:23 am

I second DG's opinion. Ignore visiting hours and just go when you want. They can hardly forcibly eject you. Peter will know you are there and that's the most important consideration.
I spent hours just holding Stephen's hand.

Veema

Postby Veema » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 pm

I agree...sod the visiting hours! When my Dad was in hospital in the summer, we could come and go as we pleased despite the ward having set visiting times. You have every right to be there when the doctors do their rounds.

Much love Mo...and I hope Peter is a bit more lucid today.

Vx

Didge

Postby Didge » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Me neither. If necessary I’d just say “the docs asked me to come in” or “I was asked to come in” and if asked to specify an actual name become forgetful (not hard to actually BE forgetful in the circs). Rarely had any probs. Most of the time I just walked in with no conversation taking place x

Wife&Mum

Postby Wife&Mum » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Thinking of you, Mo and Peter, and wishing Peter well. This latest scare does sound very scary so I hope you hear some reassuring words like “temporary” or “easily treatable” from a doctor when you visit today.
Much love as always
W&M xx