Thanks for sharing your experiences . . .

Justamo

I told Peter that I had shared with all of you that he is suffering from Neanderthal Syndrome.

Let the record show that this morning My Patient left his sickbed, located the secret place where I hide the vacuum cleaner, and cleaned most of the carpet in our lounge and a bit of the carpet in our dining room. He hasn't yet discovered where I have hidden the sink or the washing machine, but you never know . . . . .

Do you think it was the chemo what done it ? Perhaps it's an unusual side effect ?

And - could somebody e-mail me a snow shovel ? Mine's in the boot of the car and I need a shovel to get to it.

Take care

Love, Mo

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Justamo

• Veema

• Dandygal76

• Proud Wife

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! I had an incident with a fish shovel when snowed in in Scotland but far too long for here.

Tell Peter I am impressed with him helping, Louis never did dusting and vacuuming but he did put the washing in and hang it out and do the ironing sometimes and most of the washing up.

I'm thinking of you as the temperature plummets down here and hope you are warm and cosy

M xxx

Wouldn't you just know it. Everything is hunkydory on Friday, (usually a bad day after chemo on Wednesday), but on Saturday morning Peter announced that he didn't feel like getting out of bed. So he didn't. On the face of it there wasn't much wrong with him. He said he didn't feel particularly tired, or in pain, he just didn't want to get up.

He's been generally under the weather since then, but this morning began coughing and sneezing and clearly has a cold - good thing this is his week 'off' chemo because he would probably get thrown out of the clinic if he appeared like this.

Today he's up and fairly cheerful, and quite interested in today's proceedings which involved a case of Seville oranges, 3 dozen lemons, every bucket in the household, and a recycling bin groaning with boiled up and discarded orange and lemon skins. I have large blisters on one hand from cutting up the fruit, and two dining room chairs are in the garage supporting the remaining pulp draining through a muslin bag, and tomorrow will be the final task of boiling the whole lot up with sugar to make orange and lemon jelly. (Can't bear shred in marmalade). The whole house smells as though I have hi-jacked a Yankee Candle lorry, and even Boris's coat smells of it. The result will be a year's worth of marmalade - we've got 3 jars left from last year's batch - and the upheaval will be worth it. My preserving pan has hogged the cooker since 9 o'clock this morning and it will be the same tomorrow.

I'm not entirely surprised at the sudden downturn in Peter's condition; things did seem to be going just a bit too well. Tonight he complained of some pain, too, but fortunately we have got a selection of quite effective medication and it's a bit easier now. He's a bit disappointed himself because everyday he expects to feel 'better'. He sees Dr Feelgood on 24th of this month and has a scan booked for the first week in February. He's blaming The Cold for the way he's feeling but I have a hunch that it's just a little bit more than a cold making him feel grim.

He has spent the day in an armchair swearing at the TV. Boris has spent the day protesting at being ignored and demanding that the back door be opened or closed at 5-minute intervals. And you know how I have spent my day. Tomorrow I have an aquarobics class which I really can't miss because I haven't had a swim since last Wednesday. I am desperately sore from standing all day, but some exercise and stretching may help and it will be nice to get out of the house for a couple of hours.

Hope you're all OK-ish, so sorry about Elaine's Pete and hope that the circle will turn again in time for his chemo on Wednesday.

Take care, Love Mo

Mo...keep an eye in his temperature...I'm sure you are, but just checking...phone the helpline if it's up at all.

Marmalade was after Saville oranges the other day...obviously making marmalade too!

Vx

Hi Mo,

Oh how I feel for you. I made my marmalade last week, no lemons and I like shrewd and a drop of whiskey in mine! I don't do it all at once anymore, I freeze the oranges whole and get them out in batches, ditto damsons.

I'm sorry that Peter is not so good. It's a terrible thing that we are always waiting for trouble but it goes with the territory and is always there. I'm glad you have the pain relief stock as it does come from nowhere sometimes and trying to get the right stuff at night or weekends is pants. Don't forget the hot water bottles, they can be a comfort. I am sure you are doing all you can and it's a good idea to get some exercise in, good for the mind and body.

I send you love and a big cuddle, rest well Mo,

M xxxx

I do his temperature twice a day and write it in his book which records his blood sugar readings. If he has to look after himself for a day the notebook helps to remind him what dose of insulin to take etc. We also got into the habit of noting what he's eaten; the diabetes nurse asked us to do that right at the beginning and it just stuck with us. We also jot down what tablets are due - with 17 separate items on repeat prescription it's quite hard to keep track.

Forgot to mention - he has macula degeneration and had to have an injection into his eye on Monday so that didn't improve his mood very much. The eye clinic is full of small badly behaved children or confused elderly people and their carers and assorted walking aids so if your sight is poor it's quite hazardous. It was crammed on Monday and we were there for three hours. My nerves were in shreds by the time we left. Now he has antibiotic eye drops for a week so we write those in his book too.

I think something may have crawled into my fridge and died. It smells funny and I've washed it out with hot water and bicarbonate of soda, but it hasn't helped. I think it's the auto defrost thingy, and I'll look for a new fridge. This one's not big enough for all the insulin and eye drops. . .

I'll think about FB; I'm just not keen on Tweeting or Facing. Foruming is quite adventurous for me.

Night night, God bless.

Mo

Oh I remember that Mo, keeping charts and lists. I also noted his damn bowel movements as keeping things moving but not too fast became difficult too.

I sense you are a bit worried and probably exhausted. Sleep can help a lot so hope you both get some xxxx

Hi Mo,

How are things today? Don't write if you are exhausted, I am just checking you have not boiled Boris or Peter up with the marmalade.

I understand that there is not always something to say and some days you are just too tired but wanted you to know that we are here, hanging about as usual. I went to look at cars this afternoon but am no clearer on what I want, I have these whims.

M xx

Mission (ie marmalade) accomplished. I ran out of jam jars so will do your trick of freezing the 4 or 5 kilos of fruit that I haven't cut up yet.

Peter is feeling desperately sorry for himself with a very heavy cold (but no temp). He's gone off to bed with the proviso that he must try to sit up - his chest is noisy and if it's no better tomorrow I'll phone his doctor.

Boris is feeling very neglected because I went for a swim this morning and I've been marmalading all afternoon. Right now he's clamped two paws round my left leg as I watch TV and type this. For some reason he's avoiding Peter, which makes me feel uncomfortable, so he's spent most of today alone and is now making up for it.

Hope everyone is OK today - just going to check the other threads.

Love, Mo

Mmmm. Animals certainly sense things, try not to read too much into it, maybe he is just sensing that Peter is full of cold and he had better stay out of the way! Maybe he is just enjoying your company.

I look forward to the publication of your book "101 things to do with Marmalade" when you get round to it, you must have tonnes of the stuff. You could make Jaffa Cakes!

Try not to fret too much, life is bad enough when we have to deal with actual dramas

M xx

I remember that one of my cats, a foreign white called Sooty, refused to come near me the day before I was diagnosed with meningitis. He just stood at the bedroom door and howled. It was a fortnight before he was back to his usual affectionate and sloppy self again. Boris is being very clingy with me and I don't want to tell him to pull himself together in case he starts doing licking again through stress.

Recipe number 97 - a spoonful of marmalade is lovely on roasting carrots. And stirred into frozen yoghurt just before it goes hard. And swirled into sharp orange sorbet. That's 99 recipes already !

Peter is now reclining majestically having a cuppa tea and a biscuit. He's been asleep in a chair for most of the day so I doubt he'll sleep much tonight. His chest sounds a tiny bit clearer but we'll see how it is tomorrow. My own throat is getting sore so I'll hit the Vitamin C before I go to sleep.

Night all, Boris sends kindest regards to Dido.

Take care, love Mo

Quickasyoucan

Hi Justamo I have been following your and your husband's story for a while. My dad who is 83 and previously v fit was diagnosed with stage 4 of around the time of your husband. After the all too familiar diagnostic delays and a long delay to have a stent fitted he commenced gemcap just prior to Xmas. So far he has had 2 ed visits one false alarm for a raised temp and one for cellulitis which he now has with lymphodema in his legs. I won't start a thread but just wanted to say I tell him about your husband and others. Reading people's stories helps particularly as dad is in uk but I and one sister live in Australia so are trying to support dad from a distance as well as my siblings in uk. Thank you for sharing.

Hello Quickly, nice to hear from you. We sometimes forget that these are public forums, and I'm guilty of talking nonsense while there are forum members who are dealing with life and death while I chat about marmalade. It's just my way of coping with things.

It must be soooo hard being such a distance from your poor dad. I really feel for you and hope that you and your sister can support each other. PW is absolutely right, we all support each other on here. By the way, PW, I saw something that you had posted and then deleted. I totally agreed with your original post and I'm sorry you modified it !

Just back from the GP because Peter has this ghastly cough and cold which is doing the rounds. Wouldn't normally dream of bothering a doctor with that, but he's got chemo next Wednesday and was worried we would be thrown out. He's got a prescription for amoxyicillin because there's a bit of infection in one of his lungs.

Do pop in regularly Quickly and let us know how your dad is doing.

Take care

Love Mo

Hi Mo,

Glad to hear the medics have dished up a potion for Peter, hopefully he will start to feel better in a day or two.

Don't worry a jot about talking of ordinary or mundane things, it's the only thing that keeps us all sane and we do so love the little insights. We meet on here in the ether to share such poignant and intimate moments and yet in many ways we know nothing whatever about each other. Its really only the incidental things we post which say anything about us as people and put us in context. Boris has become one of our extended family now so we have to know about him too!

Quickly, so glad you come here and find support and understanding of your Dad's situation. I'm sorry you don't feel like posting as I am certain there are many like you who are not able to be with their loved ones and, who would love to know there are others who understand how they feel. It must be heart wrenching at times for you all.

Please do let us know how Dad is from time to time and how you are too!

Big hugs Mo,

M xx

But I deleted that post because I didn't want to get banned!

I did wonder if it's for real or is it one big wind up.

Wish Peter better. You did the right thing by taking him to docs, you can never be too careful xx

Quickasyoucan

Thanks for your responses. Yes it is beyond awful being so far away. Technology helps and I FaceTime dad twice a day and am coming to visit him in a few weeks. Btw I love hearing the stories about marmalade. It is the little ups in life that keep us going. Happy Friday to all from a rather sticky Australia and may there be more ups than downs over the weekend.

I love the little personal stories on the forum because sometimes I become so wrapped up in this hellish battle that I forget to savour the little ordinary day to day things I hear. The question I want ask is does your marmalade taste delicious ? The shop bought varieties never live up to the homemade. Hope Peter's cold eases soon .....we all seem to live with the fear that we are thrown out of chemo the next week. Take care

Elaine

X

I love the little personal stories on the forum because sometimes I become so wrapped up in this hellish battle that I forget to savour the little ordinary day to day things I hear. The question I want ask is does your marmalade taste delicious ? The shop bought varieties never live up to the homemade. Hope Peter's cold eases soon .....we all seem to live with the fear that we are thrown out of chemo the next week. Take care

Elaine

X

Elaine

X

Elaine, my marmalade is a gourmet experience. I call it St Clements Conserve and do a very classy label if I give any away. It's really orange and lemon jelly because I hate shred. It used to have grapefruit in it as well, but now I'm on statins grapefruit doesn't feature chez nous anymore.

I have now got rid of the last of the splatters of jelly from the kitchen floor and the cat, and can assure you that there are no bits of cat or kitchen floor in the jelly.

A friend of mine got leukaemia some years ago, and was put into isolation for six weeks. They gave him a phone (this was pre-mobile days) so I rang him most days to sell him double glazing or a new kitchen. When asked what he wanted for Christmas he said "a pint of blood". I wasn't up for that, but I did post him a marmalade sandwich, and, coincidence or not, he was pronounced cured a fortnight later.

Let's hope none of us get thrown out of chemo next week !

Love, Mo

Mo, I love your stories, perhaps your marmalade sandwiches have magical qualities, I think you do! ringing your friend and selling him a new kitchen! I am sure your jokes helped him to pass the time, in hospital, great news that he recovered too.

I hope Peter likes your marmalade, and that its magical qualities help him get over his cold, and that he is feeling better soon. And that you got your swim and you are feeling a bit better in yourself too, take care sandrax xx