End of life care

sandraW

In view of what we have been discussing about end of life care I thought this might be of interest to some of the posters on here. .I found it interesting

http://www.hospiceuk.org/media-centre/press-releases/details/2015/12/16/hospice-uk-s-response-to-new-nice-guidance-on-the-care-of-dying-adults

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/NG31/chapter/1-Recommendations#communication

sandrax

Very interesting Sandra. It seems as if the hospice website has the right approach in saying that it cannot be a tick box exercise and yet in the Nice guidelines ar 1.2.3 (I think) it says discuss the prognosis with the dying person unless they do not want to be informed. Unfortunately by the time it has been established that they do not want to be informed the damage has been done. It seems that where distress has been caused, the tick box approach has indeed been operating!

I agree Sandra it is very interesting. Especially on communication, it states how much the patient wants to know about their prognosis and end of life care. Unfortunately my dad didn't get the option, they kept telling him even when he didn't talk about it! That is my argument entirely.

Thankyou for your support all means a lot to know your not on your own.

Alison x

Dear Sandra, thank you for posting this information. Your continued support and help to everyone is so very much appreciated even though you have been through this it is really kind and thoughtful. xx