Coming to terms with diagnosis

Spirt1367

About 18 months ago my father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and underwent major surgery and 6 months of chemo.

Scans since then had been clear but last week he was told it was now in his lung and on his liver and he has between 9-12 months to live. A number of emotions go through my mind wanting to enjoy every moment left, not quite believing it's true and that when one of the people you love most in the world is going to die feeling guilty about enjoying life. I think he has probably decided that he will not have any more chemo as he doesn't want the side effects and wants to be able to enjoy his time left: this I can understand.

If anyone has any pieces of advice I'd be grateful to hear them. I seem to be the ear and shoulder for both my mother and my sister and am worried about coping with their emotions as well as my own

Sorry to hear about your father. There is always hope after a successful operation but it is still very common that it comes back. Nobody can know for certain how long a person has left and some have more aggressive types than others. 18 months clear is quite good so fingers crossed that you father's is perhaps less aggressive than my paetner's was. His came back 8 montgs,after his op and he died 11 months later. I do hope you all get some quality time together, Didge x