John G My Wonderful Husband, Dad & Grampy

ElsieG

Just to update on John's situation, I haven't been on here for a while. John is now in the local St Margaret's Hospice receiving wonderful care & attention. Not sure of timeframes but as he is unable to eat and drinks minimally, it is looking to be sooner rather than later. Pain is increasing almost daily & with that the opioids are stepped up and John is a little more tired & sleepy each day.

Children (& the dog!) are visiting and All we can do now is wait. I would like to thank each and everyone of you who shared experiences and offered advice on this forum. You have been more helpful than you know. Good luck & best wishes to all those of you fighting this disease and to the ones that are supporting you.

John says he has most enjoyed his daily "bath with 2 ladies" as our daughter put it when asked where he was. He said if it happens then at least he would be smiling! Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.

God Bless All,

Linda G

Linda my heart goes out to you. John sounds like a wonderful man. You are in my thoughts and I hope you find the strength to stay supportive and get through the times ahead.

Much love,

Sue x

• 2 weeks later...

John, my darling husband, brave & fighting it to the last, sadly passed away on Saturday evening at 9.45pm. To say we are devastated is an understatement and although it was expected the reality is still a great shock. My two elder daughters and I were with him at the end, my younger daughter was at home. I had stayed in the Hospice with John for 14 nights as I couldn't leave him to face this thing alone. I will treasure the moments when he said how much he loved me and we listened to music we loved and laughed & cried. The nurses and all the staff at the Hospice were fantastic.

We were robbed of this wonderful man far too soon by this dreadful disease. It never ceased to amaze me how viscous this disease is and how it reduces people to just skin covering bones and the horror of anorexia and bedsores. Apologies if a little graphic, watching a once comely chap of 14st last Christmas reduced to a weight of just under 8 stone when he died, has had a profound affect on me. I pray to God a cure can be found in the near future.

God Bless all of you battling PC & much love and support to those caring for loved ones. Thank you too for all the help & advice which was available on this site.

Linda xx

Linda,

I am so very very sorry to read of the passing of your darling John. You are such a lovely lady and you helped me on here, when you didn't really know me.

Not now, but in time, it will be a comfort to you that you werre with him at the end. Those last days are so precious. Just being there is such a massive comfort to him.

People do not relalise what it is like to be with a loved when in the last few days, and to see them pass away. I think it is amazing of you to stay with him for those 2 week, and I understand so very much how you didn't want to leave him to face it alone. What a strong selfless lady.

John was well loved and well cared for, and I have no doubt whatsoever that he knew this, and he will have taken that love with him.

Take care Linda

Leila xx

Linda

So sorry to hear you have lost your beloved John, I feel for you so much.

I totally understand why you couldn't leave him in those last days, I was the same, I just had to be there whatever it took.

I am sorry too for what John had to endure, we were luckier but Trevor's decline was so rapid we didn't get the special times you did, he went from being in pain to almost comatose in a couple of days, I agree the Hospices are certainly fantastic, the best place if to be if home is not possible.

Its 7 months since I lost Trevor and I still expect him to walk through the door or ring me, but I would never have wanted him to stay, as ill as he was.

I am sending strength and love to help you on the next stage of this horrible journey take care love sandrax xx

Linda so sorry to hear that you have lost him to this cruel disease. I too spent almost every night and day for the last weeks in the hospice. Will be thinking of you, Didge xx

I am so sorry Linda,I also never left my husbands side and slept on the hospital floor. Jem died a year and two months ago . This disease is so cruel and unrelenting. Sending you my love and thinking of you all,

love Jayne

x

So sorry to read of the passing of your wonderful husband. May your family and your memories of happy times help you through the days and weeks to come. God bless.

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Dear Linda,

We are so sorry to hear of the passing of your beloved husband John. It is so good that you and your two daughters were with him, and he will certainly have been aware of your voices and touch. It is such a sad time to lose someone and of course, no time is ever a good time.

Please accept our deepest condolences from all the nurses on here, and I know the wider charity as well.

It is so wonderful to see how the rest of the forum members comfort and support one another on here, especially at the time of a loved ones death. Keep up the good work all.

And yes, Linda, keep praying for that cure - one day, this will have to meet its match - I am sure of it.

Best wishes,

Jeni, and the Nursing Team.

Thanks to all of you lovely people for your kind comments & thoughts for us all. Sue O, I do hope your dear Mum continues to surprise you with her strength & fortitude. Taking it all one day at a time. God Bless you all. Linda xx

Linda

Sorry to hear about your lovely husband. My dad died on 9th Nov, and we are still coming to terms with it!. Even though you know its coming its still a shock. Like you I have wonderful memories and in fact my dad on the day he died put both his thumbs up and had the biggest smile although he was drifting in and out of consciousness, soi will treasure that memory as I'm sure you will of your husband.

My thoughts are with you, and your not alone.

Sending hugs

Alison x