A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
belgrade

Re: frustrated

Postby belgrade » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:07 am

There are no words that can make this any easier, watching those you love fade away and not being able to do anything to stop it, is the hardest thing in the world. You will find the strength, believe me.

Thinking of you and your husband.

Hilary

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi Sheena,

Sorry to hear about Steve.

Did they say the cause of the nosebleed? Was his blood pressure ok? What is the shakiness on his right side? Was this there when he was in hospital? And if so, did they investigate it?

Is he speaking OK, eating ok?

Thinking of you as you face these challenges.

Jeni, Support Team.

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:43 am

Hi Sheena,
Just sending a Christmas (((HUG))) and I hope Steve improves a bit for the holiday love sandrax xx

sheena

Postby sheena » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:01 pm

So happy we have got through Xmas ,Steve has been good over last few days .appetite has been good and he even managed to go all Xmas day without asleep hope you have all had a great Xmas xx

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:28 am

Sheena,
That's great news, I hope it continues into the New Year, take care love sandrax xx

Didge

Postby Didge » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:12 pm

Hope things are still good Sheena and it continues right through New year xx

sheena

Postby sheena » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:02 pm

Spoke to soon Steve has a chest infection and on antibiotics full of cold , not sure we're that came from as was fine yesterday

Didge

Postby Didge » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:59 am

Oh, dear, sorry to hear that. Hopefully he will recover after some rest and the antibiotics - maybe a quiet New Year? Each milestone is an achievement with this beast xx

sheena

Postby sheena » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:21 pm

Wishing you all a good new year .I am proud my husband has made it this far.praying for all carers patients family and friends that we find the strength to continue on our journey x

Ruthus

Postby Ruthus » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:17 pm

Wishing you a peaceful New Year Sheena. My thoughts are with you moving into 2016 x

sheena

Postby sheena » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:43 pm

Steve has slept for 2 days solid antibiotics have done nothing horrendous cough.

Phoned drs this am and have started him on new antibiotics so hopefully these will work. Hasn't eaten for 2 days but fancied some pate on toast. I forgot to give him his creon so now has belly ache too.

I'm struggling to get everything done working full time keeping house etc... Do you think now is a good time to get community nurses in? He hasn't showered or shaved for 4 days as he says can't be bothered he feels too ill. Unsure if it's because of the flu or the pc or is the pc giving him a chest infection.

Didge

Postby Didge » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:18 pm

I would definitely get some help in. Having a 'bed bath' if needs be can make a person feel so much better. Of course it will be up to Steve - if he really doesn't feel up to it but at least the help will be there for him. I do hope he feels a bit better soon. Didge x

sheena

Postby sheena » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:47 pm

A&E visit today. Steve in a lot of pain and chest infection worse.

He has now lost another stone in 3 weights. The Dr was good but unsure what they could do for him so has been given codeine and paracetamol for pain. So hopefully will work until we get to see oncologist on 19th.

He has scan on Tuesday. Managed to get him in bath but he was so unsteady and weak I felt saddened to see this independent person unable to do this.

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:24 am

Hi Sheena.

Sorry to hear about all that Steve is going through, and how hard things are for you trying to juggle everything.

Just a thought, when I worked at the day centre, they had a special bath facility, whereby the bath was fitted with a lift, and had a high seat in it - you probably know the type of thing I am on about? The baths move up and down, and are very easy to get in and out of - have side opening "doors", or a hoist to get the person in and out.

We used to have certain patients come in once a week for a proper bath - these were folk who probably had bed baths at other times, but were able to come and have a proper bath, and they used to really look forward to their bath. Is it worth enquiring at your nearby cancer day centre if such facilities exist? Or, as an alternative, ask for an Occupational Therapy assessment so that if there are any aids for bath or shower, they could install these, so that Steve could avail of them - it may make bathing/showering easier.

Anyhow, just some suggestions Sheena.

If he is too ill, is is anything specific, which could be hopefully helped, or is it just "in general"?

Hope Steve improves soon and the codeine works. It does cause constipation, so maybe some more fibre in his diet, and increase his water intake, if he can?

Kind regards,

Jeni.

sheena

Postby sheena » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:19 pm

Thanks jeni I am going to ask for palliative care nurses to start being involved as I am sure they will know what is available for us.I am hoping that we can get a commode etc as our bathroom is down stairs and I worry in the night he is going to fall.He is looking a bit brighter today and has actually eaten some fruit and potato .I was hoping he would of been kept in hospital his sugar levels were back up to 24 they said because he hadn't eaten.I'm not getting much sleep as he is very disturbed at night.I also need to find out if I can get help with doctors bills as they are starting to get rather large.