Mum's diagnosis

Sueoliver

I was wondering about that too Sue, Hope Mum's "cyst" is not causing any more trouble and that the endoscopy goes well. I know that uneasy feeling only too well, I just try and live one days at a time, and try not to read too much into what the doctors imply but don't say outright. love to you and mum take care sandrax x

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sueoliver

• sandraW

• Didge

• brodders

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou for sorting it out Jeni. Thank you for your kind words Sandra she has chemo tomorrow and the consultant said she would go and see her with results of CT scan. The endoscopy to drain the cyst is next week! Sue x

The consultant told her they would see her if they had the results! I am thinking I should go but I can't get there until lunch time as my car has to have a MOT. I think I will pop along anyway just in case. It's so hard isn't it! Sue x

They shouldn't say that Sue. They either will have them, or they won't. They say that to my dad, and I think, well do I go or not? I never normally go to appointments unless they are for results. You need to know either way. Can you get them to contact you if they have them, and then ask for them to wait until you get there?

Leila xx

A quick update I managed to get to the hospital on time and was there when the consultant came to see Mum. Good news the tumor is stable! The "cyst" has dispersed itself ! To say mum was happy is an understatement she doesn't have to have the endoscopy now. The consultant also said they are giving her a 2 month break from chemo.

Mum is so happy so I am happy for her.

What a journey! Sue x

That's great news Sue, good that she is getting a break from chemo give her chance to build herself up again and get a bit of normality back, take care sandrax x

Thank you for talking to my Mum on the phone yesterday Jeni. She seems a bit better today. She was so happy on Friday when they told her the tumour was stable! To see her so down the last couple of days was hard!

What a roller coaster ride this is! Sue x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Its a pleasure Sue!

What great news she has had! Long may it be the case - onwards and upwards.

Wish your mum all the best from me.

Jeni.

• 2 weeks later...

Mum went to see the oncologist to confirm she was ok for her 2 month break from chemo. The Oncologist said to her she was doing really well and then in the next breath Said to her most people are really ill with this disease at your stage! How thoughtless!

She is doing well although still suffering from painful wind. Like everyone is saying on here at the moment stable is good! I'm just praying it remains that way during this 2 month break! I worry!

Love to everyone. Sue x

Hi Sue,

So pleased for your mum's break, I bet she feels so good. Nothing surprises me anymore what the medical professionals say or do, it just irritates me that these are cancer patients and relatives they are dealing with, not the common cold. It frustrates me so such, it's just horrible.

Leila xx

Great your Mum can have a chemo break, it will help her get her strength back, and perhaps put a bit of weight back on, and break the monotony of hospital appointments which just become a way of life.

I suppose we have to remember these clever oncologist, are just human beings and sometimes forget to put their brains in gear before they open their mouths, it was probably a backhanded compliment, not that excuses the thoughtlessness. take care sandrax xx

Does anyone have any suggestions for wind? Mum is still really struggling and it is getting her down! Such a shame as she is on her chemo break. She has tried over the counter remedies but they don't seem to help at all! The wind is in her tummy and she says it is painful and her stomach is gurgling away! I think she is worried about her stents. Any suggestions?

Thankyou Sue x

Hi Sue,

I don't have any advice, but will be interested if anyone else does. Dad suffers with the same. The only thing that stops his stomach pain, is when he has been to the toilet. Can your mum go ok? But he always has constant wind, amd his stomach gurgles away.

Leila xx

Does anyone have any suggestions for wind?

Charcoal biscuits were the traditional remedy. More recently probiotics such as live yoghurt and lactobacillus capsules have been claimed to help.

PCUK Nurse Dianne

Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear your mother is struggling with 'wind' issues. I wonder is your mother taking any pancreatic enzymes, as this often will help majority of people?? If not please feel free to be in touch. Also you may find that peppermint tea may help and also peppermint oil tablets in the form of 'Colpermin' may be worth a try. Let us know how you get on and if you need some guidance on pancreatic enzymes please feel free to be in touch. So often the wind is related to 'malabsorption' and this may be due to insufficient enzyme activity.

Regards,

Dianne

Support Team

Thank you Dianne mum spoke to Jeni on the phone recently and I bought her Colpermin but it hasn't helped! The pain is getting worse and I have just got back from seeing her. Whilst I was there we rang the oncology unit and they have recommended she goes to see her GP! She has an appointment tomorrow!

mum takes creon and has recently upped the dose! She told me the wind is in her tummy and she has indigestion. Burping wakes her up in the night!

She is currently on a chemo break and her last scan was stable! She has 2 stents could it be them?

Sue x

My sister in law suffered indigestion and we were able to get peppermint water on prescription. It helped her. Maybe ask the GP tomorrow, anything is worth a try to help. Good luck tomorrow.

Mum was sick after eating today so the Dr (GP) has told her to take 30 ml of lanzaprol and anti sickness tablets! I have no idea if this will help! I am going away this weekend for a break as I thought she was stable now I'm really worried!

Back on the roller coaster again! Sue x

Oh Sue, I am sorry about your mum. It must be so depressing for her, when she thought she was going to get a break.

Is your break planned or spare of the moment?

Why did the Dr say she was being sick? Is it related to anything?

Thinking of you both.

Leila xx