Creon and inoperable PC

nikkis

Dear all,

My husband as most of you will know has had a whipples and then a pancreatectomy, and therefore takes loads of creon. I have been talking to a lovely lady at the hospice who's husband also has PC, but they have chosen not to have any treatment as it was very advanced when he was diagnosed. Recently he has less appetite and more stomach pains. Am I right in thinking that he should be on creon, and that it could perhaps improve his quality of life? It has never been suggested to them, but before wading in, I thought it would be a good idea to check with you experts!

Nikki

Hi,

Certainly no expert but Chris was started on creon straight away, at that point he had a good appetite and no pain. The creon halted his weight loss. Further done the road he increased it and it helped with some discomfort.

He took it with everything for the duration. And as far as I know it can't so any harm.

Hope all is going ok for you guys too

Bee xx

Nikki, I too have been on Creons for over a year and they certainly stopped my weight loss in it's tracks. I have been told on several occasions by health professionals that they are harmless and you cannot overdose. There would appear to be every reason for the gentleman in question to try them especially if no treatment is their chosed route.

Steve

X

Hi Nikki

I'm also no expert. Jonathan didn't take them at all for a long time as he had no weight loss. He did start taking them eventually when he did start to lose weight tho they didn't help with his loss of appetite at all, they really just help digest food. They might help with his stomach pains as well.

Is the gentleman taking steroids as those might help with his appetite?

Hope Paul is still doing ok.

Xxxx

hi Nikki,

no expert either but I would imagine without CREON he is having terrible bowel digestive problems as well especially as hes advanced ... I know just before my moms creon was increased she would have terrible stomach ache as the body just can't break down those fats...my mom had very little to no appetite for the entirety of her life from diagnosis to passing .. I just took advantage of the times when she fancied eating something in particular (for her it was tescos own rice pudding pots) she loved em .. my mom was also on Dexamethasone steroid for stomach cramps which also helped her appetite...her cramps were so severe you could actually see her stomach writhing and the dexamethasone helped with that .. she took tablets til later where she would have an injection

hope this helps

hugz

marie

Thank you all,

I thought that was the case, but wanted to be sure before I started to advise someone else!

We have been having fun and games as Paul had a swollen, painful arm. The hospice doc rung Paul's consultant who asked them to arrange for a scan to check for a blood clot, this was fine so he has now started on I V antibiotics, and it's much better, looks like it is cellulitus. Feel like we lurch from one problem to another, I am sure most of you know that feeling!

Nikki

aw nikki how awful but at least its not a blood clot thank goodness, although I don't envy him cellulitis either...that damn rollercoaster .. sometimes u just wanna time out and regroup and PC just has a habit of smacking you in the face every 5 minutes ..

thinking of you both

love and hugz

marie

xx

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Well done to all the forum family - you are experts at this stage!

80-90% of pancreatic cancer patients will need enzyme supplementation at SOME STAGE along the illness. Most of the time, the sooner it is started, the better. It will improve quality of life, and improve nutritional state, including weight issues. This in turn, will improve prognosis.

It is a very simple intervention for a lot of benefit, so well done Nikki for suggesting this. If you see them again, and they need any other help, do flag up the service to them.

Kind regards,

Jeni,

Support Team.