Case Study

LJ

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with 3 questions for my case study on Pacreatic Cancer. My Mother-In-law is diagnosed and receiving chemo as well as surgeries. I have been very supportive for my husband.

The :?: I need answered are as follows:

1) How has Pancreatic cancer affected other family members?

2)What coping strategies did the family use to decrease the stress and become adjusted to the illness?

3)In which ways did the family understand the seriousness of the illness?

angelinamacc

Hi

I thought I would let you know how we coped when my mum (78) developed Pan cancer 2 years ago. She was suitable for a modified whipples which helped as it was operable. I know many are not.

We are a close family and show our emotions easily which helps.

I personally am more affected as I live nearest and care for mum on a day to day basis.

She doesn't need any nursing at the moment but she needs company and moral support.

We have just found out her tumour has returned at the site of her drain but we are not too down hearted as it is treatable with radiotherapy and virus treatment.

We can only look on the bright side and hope the radio will diminish her pain.

We also pray a lot, not together as that would be to much! but we all know we do it. My best friend is great and very supportive and also religious so she does quite a bit of praying.

I think if you are lucky enough to believe in eternal life you have a built in support system.

About understanding how serious the illness is I am a nurse so that helped also the Panreatic cancer website is good as one can let off steam and chat to others in the same boat and worse.

Angela