Just had the news...

polly61

My Mum presented with painless jaundice 5 weeks ago. She's been through all sorts of tests since then but to cut a long story short we went in today to find out that she has pancreatic cancer.

Luckily it is operable - we're told. But we're told a 'Whipple' is a lot to go through - especially for a lady of 'later years' ;-) xx

Any hope? Any stories?

Feel a bit like I'm intruding - but hoping you'll welcome new members?

Lots of hope Polly, your mum is lucky if she has been offered surgery, you say 'of later years' how old is your mum - I had the other end of my pancreas removed last October, the body and tail, and I am 71 - lots of lovely people on this forum, ready to offer support by the bucket load, keep your chin up, she is also very lucky to have you!

Hi there

Please don't feel as if you are intruding! This forum is very supportive and her to help you.

I'm afraid I don't have personal experience to offer as my partner is inoperable but I do know that there are others on here (like dabber66 who has just posted) who do.

It is great news that she is operable. Please keep posting whenever you feel you would like to.

Cath xx

PCUK Nurse Dianne

Hi Polly61,

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find this very supportive and you will soon feel part of the forum family. I am sorry to hear of your mother's diagnosis, however good news that she is a candidate for surgery. I am sure you will find the weeks, months ahead are quite daunting with lots of information and advice.

Please do not hesitate to contact the support line ( 0207 3535 7099) or email: support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk if Jeni and I are able to be of any assistance in providing support and information to you.

Best wishes,

Dianne

Support Team

Hi - welcome to the forum and you certainly are not intruding. So glad that your mum is suitable for the whipples op but I can understand that there will be a lot to take in and you will want to support your mum as best you can. I hope you contact Dianne or Jeni directly as they will be able to give you lots of information and support. We are all here for you for whatever you now need, whether it be for info or just for an ear or a shoulder. Take care and love to you, your mum and your family.

Deb

x