Fatigue

Melanieb

Hi. My mum has recently been told she has pancreatic cancer. She has only had two weeks of symptoms and is jaundice. She is having more tests next week, MRI, biopsy and PTC procedure. We are all devastated as a family but our main concern now is her fatigue. She does not even have enough energy to shower! Is this normal? It has happened so quick. Any advice would be appreciated.

The jaundice may well be causing the fatigue. It was the time at which my husband felt his absolute worst. Hopefully they'll be able to do something to relieve the jaundice for her, such as inserting a stent if the tumour is blocking the bile duct. It may well also cause severe itching...but she can get some tablets from the GP to help with this.

The nurses on here are available during the week, so if you've still got concerns, give them a ring on Monday.

Lots of love...there is support for you here.

Vx

Hi MelanieB,

Sorry to hear about your mum, and yes fatigue is part of the cocktail of horrors that comes with pancreatic cancer because of the inability to digest food. I agree with Veema, the jaundice makes it considerably worse. Keep to really simple foods, get a spray multi-vitamin from your health shop. Is your mum using Creon? If not you need it asap to help with digesting food and possibly a PPI (proton pump inhibitor - more tablets!) which will help to lessen stomach acid, so the enzymes will work well & wont be denatured too quickly. (edited - modertor) . Speak to your mum's doctor about this. Also you can try build up supplements (such as Meritene) from supermarkets, or get Ensure again on prescription. Also agree with Veema, ring the nurses on this site they will be able to give you practical advice and help.

And finally, my bug-bear, press to get treatment asap, the symptoms can improve quickly once treatment has started.

Best wishes,

toodotty

xx

Welcome to the forum family MelanieB, the place where no-one wants to be.

Sending hugs to you and your mum. I hope they can make her more comfortable as quickly as possible x