A forum for advanced pancreatic cancer issues

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Ellie

Re: General Updates

Postby Ellie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:05 pm

Another update on Brian.

His Abstral was increased in the first week of use to double the dose, which seemed to be working better. He had a few days with hardly any pain until late evening, which was great. Things seemed to have settled down until yesterday, when I was driving him home from the hospice day care centre. I made a left turn and suddenly he screamed out. He was in pain all the way home and couldn't sit down or stand up without being in pain. After taking his Abstral & every other painkiller on the daily list, we eventually had to call the emergency doctor out. It seems his rib has either fractured, or there is some damage to the muscle in his chest wall. Our own GP came out today and arranged an x-ray, but we won't know for sure what it is until we get the results on Tuesday.

Just when we thought things were stable, this has to happen. In fact, at the day care centre the doctor told him he was fine to go away for a short break in a fortnight, so I booked to go to Devon. Brian has been looking forward to going for some weeks now, so I just hope things will improve and we can still go. Both doctors have said that the cancer has weakened his bones and that bit of pressure in the car when we turned could have caused his rib to fracture. There's nothing they can do about it, so it's a matter of the right pain relief until things heal.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Love
Ellie
x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi Ellie,

Sorry to hear about Brian.

He may be able to have radiotherapy to the rib?

It is really good for cancer pain in the bones.

Maybe enquire about it?

Jeni.

Nardobd

Postby Nardobd » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:13 am

In typical ironic fashion, Ted's latest CT results show a significant growth of his tumour and he's back on chemo - capecitibine this time. The tumour is now pressing down on his mesenteric artery which accounts for his stomach pain. As always, questions are met with vague replies, accompanied by the caveat that Ted's illness hasn't followed the usual progression of the disease - which just frustrates and irritates us.

Ellie

Postby Ellie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:21 pm

Oh, Nicki, I am so sorry to read about Ted. It's not the news you wanted, even though you were in limbo with things just lately. At least you have the option of more chemo and Ted has always done well with it, so fingers crossed that this does the trick again.

Let us know how he gets on and my thoughts are with you as always.

Love
Ellie
xx

Ellie

Postby Ellie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:27 pm

Jeni -

Sorry I didn't respond to your last message to me on here.

Thanks for the advice but, as it turned out, Brian's rib wasn't broken after all. Two doctors had said it was but an x-ray showed no damage. He has an infection on his lung, which he's had for a while, but that can't have caused such a sudden, severe pain which appeared to be a broken rib. Ironically, he later started getting severe pain in the other side of his chest, but both sides seem to have eased off lately. It's hard to know what is going on at the moment. What seems to be helping is some slow release ibruprofen which he takes at night. He always used to wake up in bad pain every morning, after lying on his back, but these new pills seem to be helping. His chest, however, rattles and wheezes a lot during the night and makes him cough, so not sure if this is the infection. He will be seeing the hospice doctor tomorrow, so maybe we will get to know more then.

Thanks again for your help.

Ellie
x

millyjo

Postby millyjo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:54 am

Hello Nicki,
Keep checking in to see how everyone is doing, including you and Ted.
So was pleased to read your post as an update, but sorry to hear about Ted's results.
Hope you are baring up.
Thinking of you both.
love
Millyjoxx

millyjo

Postby millyjo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:57 am

Hi Ellie,
Have been following your posts regularly too, and my thoughts are with you and Brian.
Millyjoxx