A forum for advanced pancreatic cancer issues

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Nardobd

Re: Message for Vicky

Postby Nardobd » Thu May 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Oh Vicky, you are going through a hard time. I'd love to be able to give you a hug, but a virtual one will have to do.

I'm sorry you've had a couple of bits of bad news which understandably acted as a trigger for your own feelings about losing Duane. It will get more bearable. After all, it's still early days yet, although I bet it feels like a lifetime to you.

Don't forget we're here and we understand. Vent away whenever you need to.

Nicki xx

Juliana

Postby Juliana » Fri May 28, 2010 12:48 am

*hug*

You are doing so well, under the most horrendous set of circumstances. Knowing that I am going to leave my 3 kiddies when they are so young is totally soul destroying, I take comfort in knowing my husband is an amazing father, shares the same morals as me and we have the same parenting ideas/standards. Also, both set of grandparents are always around to help, I know my children will be loved and looked after. I am sure Duane felt the same way about you, and you are doing a great job. Don't rush yourself or your kids into going out, getting back to normal etc - you need this grieving time, it is far healthier to go through it and slowly resume normal life as and when you feel comfortable and able, than try to rush into normality before you are emotionally ready. Take your time.

Juliana

clair2305

Postby clair2305 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:17 pm

Vicky

sending you loads of hugs. I was so upset to hear about Duane and was wondering how you were.

Just take each day at a time, if you want to go out, then go, if not stay in. Maybe go out to dinner in the next town to you, where no one knows you. I know sometimes when my hubby wants to chat to his friend, they will go for a drink where people don't know them, then they can talk freely without people looking or listening.

As for being angry about this type of cancer, its funding, cure and the devestation it leaves, we all feel that way and I repeat, take each day one at a time, if you want to get involved you can, but take time for you and your kids, you will know when you are ready to take the next step.

Take care and keep in touch

Clair

vicky1389

Postby vicky1389 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:13 pm

hi all just thought id drop u all a line been reading some of the posts on here lately it just breaks my heart that not enough gets looked into pc and seeing how you all cope best you can me and the kids are coping best we can im starting to learn things that i never had to do before which is hard but i know duane will be proud of me the kids are a bit of a struggle my oldest keeps getting into trouble at school but im hoping once they get councilling it might calm down a bit im going to do a skydive for pc research even though im terrified of heights i think this cause deserves it i had never heard of pc til duane got diagnosed and didnt realise how little money went into research just feel i need to do as much as i can to help others im still going to see my local pal as think more help and information could of been given to duane and dont want other families at that hospital to go through the same as duane at first they sent him home on wrong meds which caused him great pain he never had a oncolagist we got told no way would it be hereditary but since all this i have learned different and also they shouldnt have done the liver biop i know the outcome probably would of been the same just think the hospital needs to be more aware of it and know more about it as they didnt seem to know alot hope you all are ok

Nardobd

Postby Nardobd » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi Vicky and thanks for letting us know how you are doing. I'm sure Duane is very proud of you and looking down from whereever he is with a huge smile!

I think you're very brave doing a skydive - have you let salma@pancreaticcancer.org.uk know? she might be able to russle up a little more sponsorship for you, or at least publicise it.

of course everything is still a challenge right now but at least you are dealing with it all. I think you're marvellous.

Love
Nicki x

vicky1389

Postby vicky1389 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:35 pm

hi all just thought id write a quick note me and kids slowly getting there it was duanes birthday on the 30th so i took the kids to where me and him went when we was younger then we let of 29 lanterns off as my youngest wanted daddy to have candles in heaven was very emotional and was dreading it but we got through it and i know duane would be proud i have been given the hire of a hall for pancreatic awareness week as really want to raise money for pc but not sure what to do just wondered if any one had some good fundraising ideas the hall is not that big and i have never done an event before i have actually started learning to drive as i will be able to take kids out scarey but im doing it im also doing a walk for my local hospice on the 18th of september have not booked my sky dive yet but am defo going to do it and my 2 oldest boys are doing the big fun run in october to raise awareness i know it sounds alot but feel pc deserves so much more money into research thank you guys for listening to me rant before still get like it and miss duane so much but i know he would want me to concentrate on the kids which im doing hope you guys are all as best as can be xx

volmod

Postby volmod » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:27 pm

From Moderator

Thank you for sharing your story with us, we are all very sad. Though proud to have seen your strength

I will get in touch with the people at PCUK dealing with the Awareness Week activities to get in touch with you about fund raising activities you might want to consider for your own event. I am sure others will want to give you their suggestions.

As far as PCUK research activities are concerned, you probably know that PCUK awarded Research Grants of about £400k recently in 2010 encompassing the basic science of the disease, diagnosis and new treatments for its treatment. I understand that the planning for the Grant giving activity for 2011 is now underway so fund raising activities are vital.

In the meantime, our thoughts are with you at a sad time.

Ray Hope

jenna61

Postby jenna61 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Dear Vicky: Just wanted to say that I think you’re a total star to be fundraising with so much else on your plate. Sorry I’ve no Big Ideas to offer for your ‘event’ (have you asked the kids/family? Might be some inspiration going on there, or as someone else was saying try the charity’s office.)
Best of luck with whatever you choose to do and let’s hope it gets in the papers! Big hugs, Jen

volmod

Postby volmod » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:53 am

Hi again Vicky

I have been in touch with the people at the PCUK office about Fundraising.

Please can you email enquiries@pancreaticcancer.org.uk. Tell them what you are proposing to do and they will send you a Fundraising Pack.

We all wish you good luck with the effort as I know know funds are always badly needed.

Ray Hope x

rach

Postby rach » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi Vicky,

I haven't been on here for a while but thought I would pop back on to catch up with whats going on with PCUK. I read your post about all the things you are planning to raise funds for PCUK and to raise awareness. As well as your own personal achievements, learning to drive etc.....

I think you are doing amazingly well and Duane would be so proud of you for doing something so positive out of such a nightmare situation. I organised a music concert this year, called music4life (visit http://www.music4life.ukcharities.com for more info) to mark the one year anniversary since losing my mum. Unfortunately the weather was rubbish and the event was not as successful as I had hoped, but I am thinking of doing it again next year (have inherited my mothers stubbornness and determination not to give up!)

You are absolutely amazing to be doing all the things you are doing, it has taken me a year and although I feel things are a little easier I still miss mum terribly, but that keeps me focussed on trying to make the most out of my life.

You should be proud of yourself for what you are doing, an inspiration to others, especially juggling everything around your kids!

Keep going with all your efforts. My email is [Removed by Administrator]if you would like to keep in touch or if I can help you with any fundraising bits....

Best wishes
Rach x

NiaD

Postby NiaD » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Vicky,
I'm new here and my husband newly diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and advanced liver tumour also. I read a bit of your posts and it is so very sad. I'm sending you and your family my very best wishes. xxx