Collapsed Veins

Guest Barb (Canada)

My Mom was admitted for her biopsy yesterday prior to be scheduled for Chemo. She has Stage 4(a) PC, location is the body of the pancreas with varicose invasion (which I assume means its in the blood stream).

Yesterday they spent 30 minutes trying to take blood samples from 5 different sites but couldn't. I am told by the medics in my family that its because her veins are collapsing as a result of poor circulation.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, can you advise how it was dealt with.

Many thanks.

• 1 month later...

The same thing happened to me with my veins. It was a painful nightmare when it was time for blood tests. One nurse in particular kept coming and trying to get into a vein, even woke me up at 2am to try as she said she was determined to find a vein. The only way i got her to stop was to tell her i would make a complaint................I finally broke down the next day and they put a hickman line in my chest and it worked beautifully. I did not know of any side effects . Why do medical people not tell you these things.

Best wishes Julie