Clair and Blue (Part 2)

clair2305

Dear All

I've been a bit quiet on here lately and if I'm honest, it's because the computer is in the teenagers bedroom which is like a bombsite which I shut the door on to try and pretend it's not there!!

Anyway, to the important stuff

We went to the hospital yesterday (another very long day). Blue's CT scan results are that the cancer is stable. When I queried this they said the tumours had not changed in the last scan in December. We know this is good news but did feel a bit cheated. We've had one bad scan (the first once starting chemo) then the good one in December with shrinkage and now this one. I said to Blue "it's good news" and his response was "yeah but would have been better if they'd shrunk some more". We're not moaning obviously it's great that it's stable.

We spoke to the oncologist about Blue missing Day 15 of the last two cycles because of his platelets and the lowered neutrophils. We also told them about the nausea Blue was feeling. The doctor checked through his notes and Blue's previous blood test results and said he thought it would be good for Blue to just have Day 1 and Day 8 on this cycle (his 7th cycle). Blue just has to have a blood test at the GP on Day 15 to make sure his bloods are okay so that he can continue taking his capecitabine.

He is very very tired, dozing a lot more and today he has been sick. He was fine at breakfast, had the one slice of toast, but at lunchtime I made him a sandwich, he took one bite and was running to the loo to be sick. He says he is ok (but I know he has a high pain threshold). He is taking his domperidone and at the hospital yesterday they gave him another sickness tablet he can take if he feels nauseaus (another packet to read of side effects that just fill me with dread) alongside the domperidone. It's a tablet normally for pain or schichophrenia (????) and the dose is really low (1/4 of a tablet), so he's just had that too and I've read him the riot act of side effects.

Yesterday was good news but today I'm feeling a bit disheartened. I know really he gets off pretty well with the side effects, just tiredness and his pain is controlled, his weight is back to normal and the chemo is working (even last week when he wasn't sleeping I was ok but I wasn't too and I know it was because of waiting for the CT scan results) but when he is sick like today and feeling a nausea (which puts him off his food) it just makes me feel a bit crappy too.

Clair

Hi Clair and I'm sorry you're both having a down day. I know how difficult those days can be and how worrying it is. Most days, Ted and I pick each other up when one of us is having a rubbish day but on Sunday we were both having a tough time and it's horrible. So, no magic wand here but at least you're not the only one!

Ted's scans were exactly the same - shrinkage after three months of chemo and then no change. I felt disspirited but subsequently was told that there wouldn't necessarily be any change because the original tumour leaves scar tissue which shows on the scan. So, even if Ted were "cured" (which we know he's not) there would still be scar tissue and the scans wouldn't be 'normal' because of that scar tissue. The good news is that the last scan he had in January this year still shows stable disease, nearly six months after finishing chemo...that's got to be promising and I hope that Blue has a good long stable period after chemo too.

By the time Ted finished chemo he could have slept on a washing line! The tiredness and nausea were the only real side effects he had but they were so very debilitating. It sounds like Blue is having similar problems. The only light I can give you at the end of the tunnel is that it does get better afterwards. It probably took Ted a couple of weeks at the end of chemo to start to feel any better but it gradually improved to the point where he is almost back to where he was before diagnosis.

Anyway, I'm rambling on....all I wanted to say is you're not alone and if you need a shoulder, we're here.

Love

Nicki x

Hi Clair,

The positive to hold onto is that the cancer is stable, all of us would prefer to hear the words 'shrinkage' and 'gone' - but I would certainly take 'no change' over 'increase' or 'progressed' any day of the week! The way I see it, I can 'live' with the tumors if they remain the size they are....it's when things get bigger and spread further that cause the problems.

I'm sorry Blue is feeling so crap on the chemo, and of course it will affect you too when he is at his lowest - the only things I can suggest are that he tries to sleep through as much of the side effects as possible, or finds a distraction - reading is good, if your eyes and concentration allows....but something that can absorb you for hours = computer games! It may sound foolish but I know from experience how it can 'remove' you from the pain you are feeling for as long as you are allowed to play.....you just need to find a game that really hits the spot (mine is World of Warcraft....I play a druid ;) ). It's all about rest and distraction!

As for the new anti-sickness.....if you are worried about it ask for something else:

Metoclopramide

Ondasetron

are two other types I was subscribed as well as the domperdione

Anyway....I hope you guys are doing well regardless of everything that is going on, take care -

Juliana x

Dear Nicki and Juliana

thanks for your replies - yeah I know stable is good really.

I do think this chemo is taking it's toll on Blue. At the hospital yesterday they weren't sure how many cycles he was down for, 7 or 9 was mentioned. This is cycle 7 he has just started but to be honest I think he is due a break.

Like I said before he has got off pretty lightly with the side effects, but he was also sick again at dinnertime yesterday, one bite of sausage plait and was throwing up, so had half a large tin of pineapple chunks for his dinner (and so he could take his capecitabine tablets). This morning was again pineapple for breakfast (again to take tablets) and he managed to keep that down. But we've just had lunch, which was two chicken drumsticks (proper chicken ones, not Mr Matthews reformed toot). I cooked them plain with nothing on them. He ate them slowly and they stayed down for about 5 minutes, then he was being sick again.

I don't know what to do. I asked him if I should call the Mac Nurse or the Day Unit and he said no and I think maybe he's right, it's just cumulative side effects catching up on him. So I reckon a stock up on pineapple and other fruit when I popped to Tesco is what I will have to do. Maybe some things he can eat cold (pork pie??).

What are your experiences of the side effects of chemo? Anyone had this sickness/throwing up? What foods can you keep down better? How many cycles of chemo did people have before they had a break?

Still feeling crappy today (because Blue is) and have to go shopping but don't really want to as I don't want to leave him on his own (stepson is indoors).

Anyone heard anything more about photodynamic therapy? Any other PC research?

At the weekend I was also feeling a bit selfish, why do all the 'fashionable' cancers (I use fashionable very loosely) get loads of funding and research. My mum is two years free of womb cancer and my mother in-law is a year free of breast cancer, so I know I really wouldn't want it any other way, but when I was being told about someone who had cancer of the palette and had PDT and is now cancer free I had to bite my tongue. I'm really sorry ladies (and guys) feeling really teed off, but why when so many famous people get PC is there no more prominence.

Sorry for my whinging.

Clair

Hi Clair,

Having been a pretty avid reader since Trevor was diagnosed late last August, I was quite surprised when I saw that Blue was on his 7th Cycle. Trevor has just finished his 6th (last IV was 2 weeks ago but could only have 75% due to low platelets) and he is now on, what I guess, is a break (although I must admit it's all been a bit vague). He has his 2nd CT scan on 10th March and then we get the results on 18th March - so his break will be at least 4 weeks. Although he absolutely hates chemo and especially going to the hospital and the routine of it all, he suffered relatively little (but then he does suffer in silence: the type of person who is in pain at home but when the Oncologist asks he says he's fine): swollen ankles and hands from Cycle 4 onwards and a bit of cracking to the skin on his feet along with twinges under the rib cage intermittently. One thing that did happen (although not consistently) was unexplained vomiting. He'd eat, say, some crisps, toast, whatever and be fine and then two hours later have one spoonful of soup and immediately run to the toilet - there appeared to be no pattern or rhyme or reason. Last time he took a bite of asparagus and spat it out saying it was the most powerful taste he had ever had and he would have been sick if he had swallowed it. Psychologically, he is / was suffering: gets a nervous spasmodic cough and sneeze when he even writes the words hospital or IV in an email and is almost always sick as he's waiting for his IV. Sickness tablets haven't worked for him but he has been given lorazepam to calm him which seems to work as he goes to sleep during chemo and then when he comes home and feels hungry when he wakes up: he takes half a tablet the night before, half in the morning when he gets up and then half when he gets to the hospital: they are quite mild and I can't say that it solved the vomiting but it did relax him and he was more tolerant.

Really scared of the outcome of the CT: unlike most of you, Trevor saw no shrinkage of his tumour after 3 months and it is very large; also I am not convinced that these 'cysts' from the 1st scan are 'nothing' but I guess we will know in 2 weeks.

Take care all,

L

Hi Clair and Lily

Firstly, Lily, Trevor is in the majority - we were told that it was fairly unusual to see shrinkage after chemo. From memory, I think only about a third of patients do so. Blue and Ted just happen to be lucky, but don't think that means their chemo was any more (or less) effective than Trevor's. Like they say, size isn't everything!

Yes, Clair, I know a little more about photodynamic therapy. Ted was actually accepted on to the PDT trial at UCLH but after discussing it with the research consultant and registrar, we decided that it wasn't right for him due to a combination of factors. I'm sure that it's absolutely the right thing for some patients and I don't want to put anyone off by emphasising the negatives (some of which were unique to our particular situation), so I won't go into detail here.

Basically the trial is in the early stages and they are testing light dosages with a non-clinical laser. They are not looking for a "cure" at this stage, just seeing what is safe and how well different dosages work. Patients need to stay in hospital for five days with treatment on day one only. The remainder of the time is ensuring that the patient is comfortable and monitoring. If considered appropriate, treatment can be repeated and it doesn't rule out subsequent chemotherapy.

One of the things which will absolutely exclude anyone from being included in the trial is if they have mets (ie if the cancer has spread anywhere else). This is one of the criteria which is non-negotiable and which they are unable to relax.

Research elsewhere is patchy - there are a few trials and I did read a while ago about a hospital in Italy which removed a tumour by heat but it wasn't publicised further so I'm guessing that it wasn't a "miracle cure". A lot of the current trials seem to be about diagnosis and finding out whether chemo will help individual patients - all very well but what about those who already have pc?!

There are a few trials in the US and elsewhere (Manilla, for example) but I've discounted those for Ted and I'm sure most others would too, both because of the incredibly high cost (we're talking in tens and hundreds of thousands of pounds) and because some of the drugs are not approved and side effects haven't been established. I am keeping up to date with current research using the internet, it's a painful and sometimes frustrating business but it's one of the ways in which I cope. Of course, if I hear of anything which I think might benefit others I'll share it with you all

Nicki xx

Der Lily and Nicki

thanks for your replies.

Blue also has some cracking on his heels and yesterday his feet and hands seemed shiny. I know this is a side effect of the capecitabine tablets and we will tell them about it on Monday, but alas, like Lily's Trevor, Blue does suffer in silence....think he also gets fed up on me asking him if he's ok too. He has perked up today and no vomiting today or yesterday, we even went out for Pie n Mash n Liquor (an East End thing and we have a great pie n mash shop here in Suffolk). I think next week we should just try cold foods and probably just stick with the fruit for the first few days after chemo, but I don't reckon Blue is going to manage 9 cycles without a break (even if he only has 2 Gemcitabine infusions on each cycle), I think a break may be in order earlier. The hospital we go to will not give chemo if the platelets are below 100.

He has been so knackered this week, obviously the chemo zonks him, then not being able to keep anything but fruit down till yesterday and fruit doesn't give you energy and then wasting energy on throwing up.

I do think like Nicki says Blue and Ted have been lucky, our consultant told us they only seen shrinkage in 20% and up until this cycle Blue has been great on the chemo, just tired and he only started developing nausea on the last cycle and the vomiting on this cycle, I think that's why I've found it hard, because despite the long list of side effects from the Gem and the Cap he has got off well.

Juliana, thanks for the tips about games. I do play a few on Facebook, but I reckon i should try and get back into my WiiFit, I reckon that may have to wait, just started a book my Mark Billingham that I know is going to be great. Also just read Brixton Beach by Roma Tearne which I can recommend.

Nicki, thanks for the info re PDT, as Blue also has mets he's prob not suitable either.

Well, I'm signing off for now. Thanks for picking me back up ladies. Hope you all have a lovely weekend. We are meant to be going out for a friend's birthday, so fingers crossed.

take care

Clair

Ooh, ooh...I do love a good book so thanks for the recommendations. I have recently read 'Of Bees & Mist' which once you get into the imagery is unputdownable and transports you elsewhere - the only book that I have managed to read whilst Trevor was having his IV (normally to noisy) and 'Under This Broken Sky' which is quite bleak but a good story well told and left me gasping in parts because you know what's going to happen and you want to stop it but just can't, dammit.

Have a good weekend x

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All

just a quick update. As you know Blue was not having day 15 yesterday but had to have a blood test anyway. Afterwards we went to Southend and to Leigh on Sea. Was a bit cold yes, but got some seafood and drove home. Better than sitting in a hospital waiting area any day.

I rang today for Blue's blood test results. His platelets were 78 and his neutrophils are at 0.5, so he is neutropenic again and has to stop this last week of capecitabine tablets.

So next week is chemo free week and back to clinic for 29th March, for what could or could not be Cycle 8.

I've also found something about papayas, but I will post separately with links.

How's everyone? Any miracles appearing? I am happy today but also angry (esp after reading how long Juliana has to wait for her barium)....this government is not interested in pancreatic cancer. And it appears targets are for targets sake, they are what they are, numbers and having nothing to do with people.

Clair

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Clair

We're ok thanks...no miracles but I'll settle for this for the time being - miracles next week please!!

You're obviously frustrated at having to visit the hospital. How does Blue feel about it? Do you think the longer break makes it harder to face the next treatment?

I, too, would like to hear how others are getting on, so keep us updated folks.

Nicki x

Dear Nicki

no, it's not me that's grrr about the hospital it is Blue. Don't get me wrong, I can think of better ways of spending Mondays, but really I'm ok with it, cos I can 'see' Blue getting treatment and anything that helps is what I want.

Anyway on Monday all was fine at the hospital, the doctor asked how Blue had been and he was honest and said that he had been vomiting this last cycle (no: 7). We said we knew they wanted to give him a break after 7 or 9 and the doctor thought it would be a good idea to have a break now, which Blue is obviously chuffed about....I bet it was the same look you saw on Ted's face when told he could have a break :)

Blue had his portokath flushed and has to have it flushed again on 26th April. He has to have a CT scan in 7 weeks and back to clinic on 25th May and she said they would take it from there.

So I reckon from next week we will really start to relish the break. How long has Ted's break been so far?

Best Wishes.

Clair

Hi Clair

Ted's been off chemo since September 09 and the plan is that he won't re-start chemo unless and until there is some sign that the cancer is becoming active again. It seems that some consultants feel it's better to do a six month course and others like to just continue chemo throughout, I would guess at the end of the day it depends on the individual, how aggressive the cancer is etc, but it might just be individual consultants' preferences.

Have a great Easter now that you can look forward to having a break from the hospital for a while.

Kind regards

Nicki

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know Blue has his CT scan on 19th May, with results on 25th.....everything is crossed (except my eyes)

So how is everyone else? Nicky, Ellie, Juliana et el, how are you enjoying this sunshine.

Also, just a couple of questions...

What supplements/foods etc are people taking? Juliana are you still taking the turmeric? How did your appointment go on Wednesday?

And does everyone with PC have diabetes? For Blue it was one of the indicators (diagnosed a month beforehand) but I wonder really if he does, his blood sugars are normally within 5-7 (and mine was 8 the other day, probably the easter egg) and I kind of wonder what they would be like without the insulin and what the tumour would be like also.

I just want to say again to you all thanks for your support....even nearly 9 months on, I still feel a newbie.

Best Wishes

Clair

Hi Clair!

Same here - wishing you luck for the scan next month!

My hubbie didn't develop diabetes either, even though he had the whipples op. I try to keep him taking the cod liver oil capsules, which I read had been found to have some beneficial effect at one point, but that's about it. He wants to forget about being a "patient" and we just keep things as normal as possible, apart from the many painkillers he takes, of course!

Yes, the sunshine is great. Seeing all the spring flowers lifts your spirits, too.

Stay positive and enjoy what you can of every day, Clair!

Love

Ellie

xx

Hi Clair

Yes, everything's ok here too - we both have spring colds but other than that no complaints. Ted has his appointment with the consultant on the 5th May so I guess we'll know more about what's going on then. Good luck for the scan - let us know what happens and in the meantime just enjoy every moment.

Nicki x

• 1 month later...

Dear All

just to let you know Blue had his CT scan today, hopefully we'll get the results next Tuesday at clinic appointment.

Now for the stupid stuff we have done....

We DROVE to SOUTHERN SPAIN, yes I said drove and yes to Southern Spain. Blue was wanting a holiday before the CT scan, flights were expensive and haphazard because of the ash. Also we don't have a credit card which you need for car hire (and we needed a car in Ayamonte), so silly me said let's drive. Google maps said it was only 20 hours and Blue jumped at it. We hadn't taken into consideration the toll roads, worked out £220 there and back and after driving through France our eyes, bodies, the lashing rain and dark winding roads said we should stop and rest, so we slept in the car.....something we shouldn't have done even if we were fit nad healthy, I mean we're not teenagers!! Then to top it off the car broke down once we arrived, had to pay 312 euros for a new starter motor and to say the RAC were unhelpful, inept and unprofessional is an understatement (they will be getting a complaint). So we wont be doing that again and have told friends and family that if we even mention it to punch us straight in the face :lol:

It was my suggestion and I feel really guilty about it, but Blue says that he was agging me cos he wanted to get away for a while.

Some people say they need a holiday to get over their holiday.....we really do!

Also, whilst we were away Blue had some back pain and some constipation. I increased the laxatives but they had minimal effect, although he did go on Sunday when we arrived back in the UK. I don't think sleeping in the car helped and I feel that this is my fault, despite him saying the opposite.

However, he still has back pain and constipation (although he says he doesn't feel like he needs to go). Spoke to the macmillan nurse today, who said to increase his sodium docusate. She is also going to prescribe movicol, but he has had that before, before he was diagnosed and it didn't really have any effect and gave him stomach ache. Hopefully he will go today or in the morning. He also has some enemas he can try, but he doesn't really want to, just like he doesn't want to have oramorph top up and I can't force him.

I've bought him some licquorice hopefully that will help.

I just pray the back pain (which only started whilst we were away) and the constipation subside and are only a side effect of our own stupidity and change of diet eg having to drink bottled water, etc.

Any thoughts?

And how's everybody else? Juliana, Nicki, Ellie? And how's Vicky, I was really shocked and upset to hear her news.

Love to you all

Clair

Hi Clair,

Sorry your holiday was not what you expected, I hope that you and Blue can laugh about it now - and that you did manage to enjoy yourselves regardless of sleeping in the car (my family used to drive to Southern Italy......I loved it, but was young and didn't have to drive!).

I am like Blue - constipated but doesn't feel or get the urge to go. I've tried all types of laxatives and most of them cause colic and gripe - except Movicol, which I recommend. However I do find the softer the stool - the less I want to go to the loo. To get around this I use glycerin suppositories.....they work a treat. Within 10/15mins of inserting one, I get the sensation of wanting to go. The enemaes (which I have also tried) are similar, a little trickier to use and in my opinion don't work as well.

I have an MRI this Friday, but currently the general consensus is to make me 'as comfortable as possible' with no further investigation into what is causing all this pain and weight loss. :evil: I can understand why, especially as my blood results were crap - first time in 2yrs to have abnormal liver ft's and my ca19-9 is also in the abnormal range of the scale.

On the upside, I too am going to the South of Spain, but by plane....ash or no ash! We are staying in the Mar Menor Golf Resort, in a little detached villa with it's own pool. Can't wait.

Speak soon -

Juliana x

Hi Clair and thanks for the update.

Actually, I don't think a mapcap adventure does anyone harm once in a while - Blue probably thoroughly enjoyed himself and it would certainly have given him something new to think about!

Let's hope that when we get the news it's good for both of us.

Juliana - I hope you have a lovely break. You deserve it.

Take care

Nicki xx

Dear All

just an update. Blue had his CT scan Wednesday and we have got hospital tomorrow, so will hopefully get the results then.

Blue felt sick when he had his CT scan, he has never felt this way before, normally he just has that warm feeling.

Anyway the Mac Nurse prescirbed movicol, which he didn't want to take so on Thursday he did two Micralax enemas with no effect. So on Friday morning I called the Mac Nurse who arranged for our GP to visit. He examined him and said that the enemas didn't work because the blockage was further up. He advised as Blue had already had a CT scan that anything would be shown on there and no to worry too much, as he didn't think it was serious, but just to have a lowered pain threshold over the weekend and if in pain, go straight to hospital (i knew that wouldn't happen). And that we should tell them tomorrow.

He also agreed with the mac nurse that whilst Blue is not having chemo he can have his paracetamol as well as his MST. I asked this because Blue doesn't like taking Oramorph and we were only told to stop the paracetamol when he started chemo because of the masking of temperature.

Anyway, maybe it was the examination but Blue did go to the loo on Friday (a little), Saturday (a lot) and twice on Sunday (a lot and later a bit loose) - it's amazing, even Blue says so, that bowel movements are a topic of discussion with PC :oops: ....everytime he so much as walked passed the bathroom I gave him an expectant look :lol:

However, he still has back pain and to be honest I don't think this weather albeit lovely is helping. With PC he already sweats a lot and then with the heat couple with the fact that neither of us can sleep much at night because it's so hot.

So fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Oh and I did a complaint letter to our previous surgery....was 3 weeks ago now and no response, although they are trying every delaying tactic like offering us a meeting (I told them it was not appropriate given the circumstances), needing a signed letter from Blue to give written consent. I'll give them till the end of this week then chase them.

Had a lovely weekend, my birthday. Blue got me a lovely card and is trying to buy me a laptop, but the joys of bidding wars on Ebay are driving me mad :x

So over to everyone else....

Ellie - how are you and Brian? I hope the scan goes well today. Blue also had anti-depressants for the side effect associated with the MST, he was having severe twitching mainyl when he was about to go to sleep and they do help. He is also on 120mg MST twice daily and paracetamol and oramorph if needed. As Blue also has mets in the liver, when he had some pains like you are described, especially stomach, the hospital said he should take his steroids for the week (Dexamethasone), they said that the liver is in a sack that stretches and sometimes this causes pain.

Would Brian not consider any chemo again? Maybe as he's had 6 months off he may feel differently, what about just the capcitabine tablets? Or Abraxane (which doesn't appear to be an NHS option). Maybe look at trials, for second line therapy and ask some questions when you go backfor the MRI results. Take care xx

Nicki - I hope you and Ted are well and I await an update when you get the results, keeping my fingers crossed for you xx

Juliana - I hope your MRI went well on Friday. Sorry, I read all your posts but cannot remember why you are having MRIs instead of CT scans? Especially since they can't see anything on the MRI. I'm sorry I hope I don't offend you, it's just you may have to remind me again. And sorry, why can't they offer you some other treatment? I'm sorry for my bluntness, but PC makes me so blunt at times.

Take care and I'm sure I've said this before but thanks for your support on this forum gals.

Clair

Hi Clair

Just to wish you luck for tomorrow with the scan results. Hope the results are encouraging.

A belated Happy Birthday to you also!

Strange, isn't it. Blue felt sick when he had his scan, Juliana had a panic attack and Brian didn't have a pleasant experience, either. The Pregabalin (anti-depressants) he takes for the nerve pains give him really awful, horror movie type dreams if he falls asleep during the day. He fights all the time to stay awake because these dreams and the things he sees and hears are really upsetting and weird, but he drifted off while in the CT scanner and had these nightmares. He's been very subdued since the got home, so not a good experience of anyone recently. He has to take sleeping tablets every night to get to sleep and makes himself stay awake as long as possible until they kick in, so he doesn't get these horrible experiences.

Juliana - why did you have the panic attack? Is it something you want to talk about or not? I know Brian said he felt very hot and wanted to get out while they were doing the top half of his body. I truly hope everyone has some reasonably good news when they get their results anyway.

Thinking of you all.

Love

Ellie

x

hi Ellie

Thanks for your reply....did you see my other post under research about cyrosurgery?

It is strange the feelings everyone is having at CT scans, especially since you have them every 3 months regardless of whether you are having treatment or not, but i reckon Blue's constipation didn't help.

I'm sorry Brian is not taking to the anti depressants, maybe the doctor could prescribe an alternative, seems a shame to have the nerve damage side effects controlled to then get another one. I don't know what nerve damage side effects Brian had, but Blue's was severe twitching especially of his arms, more like a flailing of arms when he was dropping off to sleep, he takes 10mg of amitriptylline at nightime, he's been told cant have sleeping tablets because of high dose of mst. I know some medicines cause nightmares and Blue did have them when he was prescribed tramadol. We're all different and i think it may be worthwhile seeing if Brian can be described something else, nightmares r awful n you always remember them.

Has Brian been offered a nerve block? It's 50:50 if it works, it didn't for Blue but our mac nurse said when they do, they're great.

Take care

Hi Clair

Thanks for your reply. I've just posted under a new thread with the bad news that Brian's pain has been so bad because the cancer has now spread to his spine. We were really expecting him to be offered a nerve block - that's what the next step would have been for the pain, if this hadn't turned up. Scanning must vary, because Brian hasn't had one since last year - probaby Nov/Dec time. Will leave you to read my other post.

I will go and read your post about cryosurgery, but I wouldn't think the docs will consider any treatment just for the liver now, in the circumstances.

Take care

Ellie

x

Hi Clair

Any news on the scan? We're still waiting for an appointment with the consultant to get our results.

Hope everything's ok

Nicki

Hi all,

Haven't read all the other posts yet, so sorry if I miss out on some info etc....especially with regards Brian, sounds like he's having a rough time of it :( so sorry.

Clair - I decided to have MRI because it's less harmful than CT (x-ray/radiation) I was trying to avoid anything that would stimulate/encourage cancer cells and have read MRI is the least intrusive and safest of all scans. The MRI does show a lot of info, it's just with the stomach/intestine in particular I think both CT and MRI would fail to show what is going on (barium x-ray failed).

I had my MRI results, and it's bad news. The tumors in my lungs have increased in size, one in particular - in my left lung has grown the quickest and is close to the spine. They did think it was the cause of the back pain, but upon detailed examination of the scan there is no contact/pressure from this lesion, so they are stumped again. The scan didn't show anything untowards in the stomach/intestine, but they are more or less positive it is there and the cause of my pain and weight loss (I look like a walking corpse atm).

The 'good' news was that the tissue around the SMA has not changed size, so it is probably scar tissue. And my liver looks clear.

My specialist nurse suggested chemo, and maybe stick to capecitabine instead of gemcitabine as I just can't stomach the smell (of the chemo unit) and my tiny veins just can't take any more prodding and poking. I also asked her to discuss Reolysin with my oncologist, she had heard of it - a couple of years ago apparently another patient (not pc) had enquired about it.

I also contacted Dr. Ross Taylor with regards the CV247 - but she was away, so talked with her secretary a bit who has taken some info to forward on.

I am away next week, we are going on a family holiday to southern Spain, I just hope I am well enough to travel. I feel like my body is shutting down on me bit by bit....it's frightening. 'Me' inside is raring to go....my vessel however has failed it's MOT and needs some serious restoration works.

As for the panic attack....

Not sure what set it off, as it's all new to me, the only other time it's happened is when I had that breakdown at chemo last year.

I think it was a combination of several things....having to remove my patches, knowing they wouldn't stick properly afterwards and I hadn't brought replacements. Then the first time I went to go into the tube I got jammed as the weight covering me wasn't tight enough so jammed at the entrance. Then the second time as I went in, the pillow that was under my head got stuck and was pulled out from under me, so naturally you want to adjust it yourself, but can't....so I had to call to the nurse who adjusted it for me. Also I am sure last time I had a panic button to press....and didn't have one this time. So...maybe all of this just started the ball rolling. All I know is I think if I were to have to do it again, I am not sure I could....I may have to request to go back to CT instead. *sigh*

My patches did get put back on, but wore off quickly....wierd thing....apart from the pain....my right leg stopped working...just like a dead leg type of thing, so not sure what that means. But lung wise, I'm lucky so far, no shortness of breath - but my fentanyl patches hide a multitude of sins.

Anyway, take care all and I will try and read the other posts,

Juliana x

p.s. Happy Belated Birthday Clair *big kiss*