Nagourney Cancer Institute

Nicola77

Hi all

Has anyone come across the Nagourney Cancer Institute in California (https://www.nagourneycancerinstitute.com/)? The clinic uses each patient’s tumour cells to study the effects of drugs and combinations directly upon cells isolated from a biopsy specimen to identify the drugs, combinations and sequences that are most effective for each person. The biopsy can be carried out at someone's local UK hospital and the sample sent via international courier within 24-48 hours of removal. Patients are then treated by their own oncologist using the test results.

It looks interesting and Robery Nagourney has published a number of papers on this 'profiling' but I'm keen to know if anyone has looked into this or has experience of this Institute? Any feedback very gratefully received.

Many thanks

Nicola

Dear Nicola. I came upon the website you mentioned a couple of months ago. It seems they are using the so-called functional profiling based not on the tumor cells themselves nor the patient's genes but rather on the way tumor cells react upon certain substances in real time conditions. Although it sounds promising its role seems to be only directive and circumstantial. For instance to predict whether it would be better to use Folfirinox or Gemcitabine.

There are also other alternative treatments. Mistletoe therapy being very popular in Germany since Steiner's prophetic appeal turns to be only supportive. It is not supposed to kill the tumor itself. There is also the so-called UKRAIN - a herbal based poison developed by a Viennese doctor of Russian origin - I had correspondence with his son, a very compassionate and smart guy. But my father refused to start the treatment since it is not officially approved and carries some risks. Even in this case UKRAIN will prolong the patient's life with a few months and that is it.

Upon my father's diagnosis I was keen on investigating every known and unheard-of option only to find out that there is no cure. Not even chinese and traditional eastern medicine. I am trying to be optimistic if that is possible in times like these. I had a post titled "Cancer is not the enemy".

How is your Mum feeling? Have you started chemo treatment? Best regards, Vasil

The only way to achieve maximum survival is by SEQUENTIAL and METRONOMIC chemotherapy. Which means first, switching between different agents (drugs) in order to avoid chemoresistance, and second, using lower dose infusions. I am not sure whether this is practiced in the UK. It is definitely uknown in Bulgaria where oncology like everything else is a disaster.

I used to have a correspondence with an American woman who is treated sequentially and metronomically. She is 3 years post diagnosis with stage IV PC and feeling quite well.

Thanks Vasil. My Mum is doing OK thanks. Not much appetite but just about eating enough, and a little tired but managing a walk each day and keeping fairly busy. She has the meeting with the oncologist on Monday re chemo, and if she decides to go ahead I think she will start before Christmas. She is worried about feeling lousy for Christmas as my brother and family will be with us too, but am I correct in thinking the first round (I think it will just be gemcitabine but I am hoping they will explore other options with her on Monday) is pretty tolerable, and it is only as the toxicity builds up that it becomes harder to manage? How is your Dad doing?

Take care,

Nicola.

Dear Nicola, I am glad that your Mum is doing well. My father is on Folfirinox which I belive is considerably more aggressive than Gemcitabine alone. First two infusions had no side effects whatsoever. Then gradually my father developed fatigue and other things. Since the seventh infusion he has been totally down. But we have just one more next week and the cycle is over. What follows next I do not know. So I really do hope that your Mum will tolerate the first two infusions in a manageable way. Of course the reaction is supposed to vary from person to person.

Best regards and happy holidays!

That's good to hear - sounds like your father has done very well and I hope he feels more upbeat after his final session, I'm sure he will. You can then enjoy some lovely time together over the holidays.

Take care

Nicola