Last Chemo Treatment Today

Nardobd

Well, Ted has just had his last scheduled Chemo treatment. Although he didn't have severe side-effects, we're both glad that the six months is over but quite apprehensive too. Over the treatments his CA19-9 (tumour markers) count has reduced from 835 to 4! That is actually below the normal range which the consultant advised us is between 5 and 60. Clearly the Gemcitabine has been doing its stuff and we're obviously very hopeful that the final CT scan on 17 August shows equally good improvement in the size of the tumour. We'll see the consultant on 24 August for the results, so keep your fingers crossed for us!

We're relieved that we don't have to make the two visits to the hospital every week (chemo assessment one day, treatment the next) because we've both found it very draining but at the same time anxious that, without the continuing chemo, he will deteriorate. I'm going to keep a close eye on him to say the least. Does anyone have any thoughts on or experience of this next stage we're embarking upon, ie the period after chemo?

Nicki

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nicki

So sorry - didn't see your post until now. For various reasons, haven't been on here much lately.

But....I was SO pleased to read that Ted has had his last chemo session, and about the huge drop in his marker levels! That is great news!! We know the marker levels aren't everything, but it IS a guide to what's going on, so you must be so pleased that it is below the normal level.

I hope Ted improves generally now that his chemo has finished and I truly hope that the scan later this month is good news for you both.

Best wishes

Ellie

xx

Thanks Ellie

As I anticipated, this week has been a bit of a trial - I think it's just the change of regime because neither Ted nor I deal with change well and, of course, it's sort of unchartered territory from here. I am really encouraged by the marker levels and just hope that the scan shows an equal improvement. I don't know whether to be excited or terrified!!

Hope your husband's getting on ok.

Love

Nicki xx

Hi Nicki,

I don’t come on this section very often so only just saw your post. Unfortunately I can’t offer you any advice about what to expect or watch for now that the chemo is over. The only thing I can say (with my little experience) is that if Ted feels unwell in any way – even if he can’t pinpoint what it is, then speak to the doctor/nurses right away for advice and maybe it will be nothing. He will know best how he feels and don’t let him ‘wait a couple of days’ to see if it eases off (which is what my mom was saying during her last week), although I’m sure you won’t!

I really am happy to read about someone who is successfully battling this and I hope you have some pain and stress free time ahead, make sure you enjoy every day.

Keep us upto date when you have the results.

Take care

Love Lisa xx

Thanks Lisa and I will keep on top of things (Ted says he has a thumbprint on the top of his head as it is!). Of course I'll let everyone know the results in a couple of weeks and in the meantime we're making the most of being able to spend some quality time with each other.

Love

Nicki xx