Only 1 week left with my dad

root

So yesterday I got the call I had been dreading from my mum asking me to come down as she felt dad was close to the end. He has gone downhill quite suddenly. Can't get out of bed, sleeping lots, vomiting black bile, very little urine output. Nurse from hospice came to assess him and says he has just a few days left with us. I am so sad but just want him to be at peace. Ive been dreading this moment for a year and I can't believe am about to loose my very dear Pops.

So incredibly sorry. I won't pretend to imagine how you are feeling. Be pleased you are with him, tell him you love him, I think that is all you can do. It will give your dad the comfort, and I believe it will give you peace in times to come.

Thinking of you and your dad.

Leila xx

Thank you Leila. Today his pulse is very weak and he is asleep all of the time. Doesn't seem to be in pain. His district nurse said she would be Suprised if he made it through the weekend.

Thank you. The lack of pain so far is a blessing for us all. The only distressing thing is fecal vomiting. But that seems to be settling with medication.

I can actually feel your pain. I too have only 1 maybe 2 left with my dad and it is truly heart breaking. Dad has had very similar symptoms. He is having trouble with his bowels and they are black yet he hasn't eaten for days. Is this one of the signs? Dad starts intravenous medication on Monday but caring at home is very exhausting but dad wanted to remain at home and we will fulfill his wishes.dad is also pain free and like other people have said that is certainly a Lessing. My thoughts are with you and your family at this devastating time x

Oh dear so so sorry just know the forum family are thinking of you a lot of us have been there, some of you are still waiting ... X

Thanks for all your kind thoughts. This forum has been excellent both in terms of support from the nurses who are awesome and from so many people willing to share their stories.

D Coleman - symptoms are so different but yes, dad has struggled with his bowels and not been eating for a while. My advise is to keep an eye on his urine output.

Dad had a very stable night and even managed some water. But he just doesn't look like my Pops anymore. His wrinkles have smoothed out! And he is just so so thin. He has mercifully stopped vomiting.

Glad your dad had a peaceful night and the vomiting has stopped, in my dad's last 2 weeks they never controlled the vomiting so never had a peaceful night.try and rest as well.x

My wonderful, lovely Dad passed away peacefully this morning surrounded by his family. Glad his suffering is over but I will miss him dearly.

Thinking of you all at this terribly sad time. Take comfort that you were there for him ..I still have the feelings that you have at the moment to come and I am very scared. The fact that his suffering is over must give you such comfort and relief xx