PICC line excellence

cestrian

I have had my PICC line installed this morning and cannot praise my nurse too highly. She took great pains to make sure I was at ease with the procedure and comfortable in myself and then explained every step of the installation so that I knew exactly what was happening throughout. I did not even experience the slightest discomfort and am now receiving the first dose of Oxalaplatin. Again all the possible symptoms have been outlined along with methods of alleviating them. Fingers crossed they will be minimal!!

On the downside my blood tests revealed some impaired liver function but at least the chemo could go ahead, presumably on the basis that "Things can only get better". It is great to be in the care of such a brilliant team here on the Wirral, I feel so blessed.

Love and Peace

Mike

PCUK Nurse Jeni

I think you are Mike - blessed! Everything goes right for you! You must have a guardian angel! Like Steve, its great that you are having such good experiences - makes such a difference to folk who will come on here to see that there are some good examples of healthcare also.

All the best and hopefully, little or no side effects! Beware of the fridge!!!

Jeni.

Great to hear you have had such great care Mike. We have been interviewed and filmed for promotion for our hospice today. When you receive super care it is good to let people know. We will see how it turns out and then might let you all know so you can see it on their website. Although I am half hoping my bit will end up on the editors floor!

Take care all,

Nikki

Hi Mike

Very best of luck and I do hope that side effects will be minimal. It was the tinglyness of oxalyplatin that Jonathan first experienced after his first chemo session. He used to pop in for a pint after his chemo sessions and the tinglyness meant he wore a glove in his pint holding hand. I'm not sure you will read that recommendation anywhere else :)

Nikki - LOL. I hope not....

Cathy xxx

Hi Mike,

We are over in East Yorks and our care too has been outstanding. Trevor had his first dose of the firey fox last Monday after 6 sessions of 5FU which wasn't working, we went today for a PICC line flush, the nurses noticed straight away he wasn't his usual cheery self, so checked his bloods, took BP temp and pulse, they were all fine apart from his white cells being slightly raised, they called the doctor just to be on the safe side, and as he has a slight cough they have decided to put him on antibiotics for 5 days. It makes me so sad that not every one receives the same care that we do.

Trevor has suffered with the tingle fingers quite badly, that started within 30 mins of leaving the unit, he too drinks cold drinks with a glove on. The only other problem apart from the extreme tiredness, he has today, day 9, started with a sore tongue and a metallic taste in his mouth. Sandrax

Hello Mike ,

Just sending my best wishes and hope no not hope I know you will cope ! and that you will be comfortable with this next stage of treatment .

EmmaR x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Nikki,

The promo video sounds great.

I am sure that you both did a great job! And yes, please do share it if you are able - it would be great.

Jeni.