A forum for advanced pancreatic cancer issues

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
marie souter

Re: Just a hello

Postby marie souter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi Thriae, This sounds terrible, I can't believe ur mom had to get your dad to the gp in that state? Doesn't your GP come out?
My mom has a pattern that when shes backed up with constipation, she ends up vomiting everything up this has happened 6 times now.
Is anyone giving him anything for his sickness/nausea?
Is he on a syringe driver?
Has he had a stent fitted in his bile duct?
I only ask cos moms symptoms that led to her diagnosis was jaundice with terrible vomiting and sickness and itching..turned out she had bilirubin in her blood causing the jaundice as her bile duct was blocked. Once she had a stent put in it didnt take too long to clear things up.
Thing is hes not going to want to eat or drink if this sickness is so bad...I hope you get him into a hospice soon so they can get him assessed properly..your poor dad sounds in a right state...My thoughts are with you honey xx

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi Thriae

You sound like you are coping really well but feel free to vent on here whenever you need to.

I hope the Mac nurses can sort out his symptoms quickly. Have they managed to assess what is causing his constipation? As Marie says, this could well be what his cuasing him to eat so little and throw up what he does.

Fingers crossed for you all.

Cathy xx

Thriae

Postby Thriae » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Hello and thanks for the replies.

Just got home and am feeling a lot better. We had a really successful visit from the Macmillan nurse.

Dad had a whole can of Ensure whilst I was there and half a glass of ginger cordial. Soooo much better than yesterday. After he finished his last sips of Ensure he said be wanted to go out and proceeded to go to the front door with his belt undone (he'd just been getting dressed ready for the nurse coming). Him and mum had a bit of a set to about him being Inadequately dressed but he stepped onto the driveway for a moment. He came in because he felt very sick but I can't tell you what an achievement all of that was!

I think boosted by getting some fluid and nutrition, he seemed to perk up over the next few hours. He was dozing on and off but he seemed more interested in the general conversation.

He asked me "how long do I have to go on like this?" Not long after I arrived but by the time I was leaving we were talking about reflexology and complimentary therapies that the hospice can provide as we asked for the referral whilst Mac nurse was there.

I'm not suggesting we will ever get to the point where dad is trotting off to pedicure at the hospice but it was so good to see his spirit lifted enough to even think about these things.

For me, I feel I briefly had a bit of my dad back this afternoon and that is enough. It's enough to feel I can say goodbye because every other moment has been spent braced for some news or test result or shuffling around uncomfortable conversations. This was a moment of calm, and will be my goodbye moment no matter what is to come.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi Thriae

Oh that is good news! Excellent!! I'm sure having a bit of nutrition has made him feel much better.

Let's hope he does manage to trot off for a pedicure soon

Cathy xx

Thriae

Postby Thriae » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Thank you. I feel I can sleep tonight which means I can face work tomorrow. Every bit of positive counts doesn't it?! :)

Bee

Postby Bee » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi,
Absolutely every tiny bit of positive counts! Glad all went well today,
Sleep well!

Bee x

InfoForMum

Postby InfoForMum » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:17 pm

As Bee says, living in the moment is what you need at the mo. Good on you for grabbing the good stuff and enjoy that sleep. Rest assured you are doing what you can.

Take care

Sarah
X

PCUK Nurse Dianne

Postby PCUK Nurse Dianne » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi Thriae,

Welcome to the forum, I know you have been here a bit now, please do not hesitate to be in contact with Jeni and I if we can help. You can use us as a sounding board, especially at these times when you are finding it difficult to contact any of your other 'resource professionals'. We have both worked with patients in these circumstances, so can always advise you on the best route forward at times like this.

Please feel free to phone (02035357099) or email us on the support line (support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk) and we can give you some advice.

May I just say, if this is first presentation of jaundice, your father probably needs a stent inserted. If he has already had a stent inserted, the jaundice may be due to compression by the tumour, or there may be risk of an infection in the stent.

I will email you independently of the forum Thriae.

Kind regards,

Dianne
Support nurse.

Thriae

Postby Thriae » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:12 pm

Dianne, I received your email at work this evening and I must tell you how invaluable that was and hugely appreciated.

I was quite astounded by the comprehensive advice you gave - it felt like a great big hug to have you go to the trouble of compiling such a volume of useful information for us.

The info on Creon's was especially helpful so I've forwarded the message to my sister and talked to mum about this briefly (she was very tired this evening).

Thank you so, so much.

marie souter

Postby marie souter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:32 am

I actually couldnt help grinning when I seen your message about your dad, hes been in my thoughts til I could get back to my puta to see how he's doing, I was so chuffed for you all ... I've had some of that uncomfortable shuffling to do myself this week so I know what you mean .. but .. they bloody surprise you don;t they so pleased xxx