So far so good!

Slewis7313

Sorry to hear that Steve. Still if the stent stops the sickness that's got to help, also the Gem/Abraxane combination can I am told be very effective. Let's hope the funding issues are sorted quickly.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slewis7313

• J_T

• jay

• EmmaR

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sorry to hear that Steve, fingers crossed for the Abraxane, hear it's a good one and the side effects are a lot less than the fox so that should at least have you feeling a bit better.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I met with my Oncologist on Thursday to review everything. The PET scan sows enlargement of the tumour plus 2 spots in the Liver. The Tumour Marker has also risen to 4600 which the Oncologist is concerned about. I shall therefore switch to GemCap on Monday, with. Gem/Abraxane the week after (when the insurance is finalised).

I am also to have a stent fitted in my Duodenum on Thursday as the Barium showed a serious constriction caused by the mass in the Pancreas area.

Not great news, but we have plans to address the issues, so still fighting.

My Oncologist confirmed that she is routinely using Abraxane as a first line treatment with promising results. First line is free on th NHS Wales. Hopefully the Welsh Assembly will continue to support the use of the drug.

Thanks for the messages of support.

Steve

X

Well Steve they say 3 times for a Welsh Man! but my thinking is you are more a a cat with 9 lives all I can say and wish is that you keep fighting ... Hope the Welsh Assembly as you say keep supporting Abraxane if not they won't get any support off me !!! .as I always say to you keep up the positivity .

Take Care .

Emma x

Sorry to hear your news Steve I hope you get it all back under control soon. My Mum had the stent and it really helped. I hope the procedure goes well for you.

Keep fighting Steve and stay positive you are amazing.

Love Sue x

Hi Steve, just catching up with your latest news.

I know you have every confidence in your oncologist and we have every confidence in you. You are going to confuse the blighter with your two pronged chemo attack this week and next.

All the very best to you and hope you get the sickness sorted pronto!

Julia x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear all the latest news from your recent scan, and no wonder you have been feeling off with the duodenal stricture. I hope that the insertion of the stent relieves this and that you are feeling better soon.

Steve, you have responded very well to chemo previously, and lets cross fingers that the same applies again this time around. Lets hope that the abraxane has the desired effect, and yes, there are some really good results from it. We are hearing this from other parts of the world as well during conferences etc....

Fingers crossed for you Steve, and let us know if we can help in any way at all.

Kind regards,

Jeni.

Thanks all for your continued and unstinting support. The Duodenum stent is in and the Radiologist reports that it was a 100% success from his point of view. The blockage was again worse than expected, with food still in the Duodenum after fasting for 12 hours. This lead to some minor sickness during the procedure, but I was so 'drugged up', I hardly noticed. The X-Ray showed it was fully expanded and should make a big difference immediately.

Abraxane has been delayed by a further week due to admin issues with funding, but we should be good to go a week on Monday. In the meantime I am on GemCap so we are at least hitting it with something.

I certainly seem to be having a fair selection of procedures / Chemo! We can hopefully fight it off for a while yet!

Steve

X

Good to hear the procedure went well - apart from the sickness. Sounds like you would have been pretty uncomfortable with food stuck in your tubes!!!

Also good they have gemcap as a contingency, that with your doggedness combined I am sure you WILL fight it off for a loooooooooooong time yet!

All the best Steve.

Julia x

As a newbie to this site, I've found your story inspirational. Good news that funding is available in your area. Hope you're feeling a bit better with the stent. Keep fighting!

Hi Steve,

Not used to reading bad things on your posts, so keep fighing, and keep winning. You are doing so good, you are truly a inspiration to patients and loved ones.

Good luck with the chemo.

Leila xxx

Hi Steve,

I am just catching up and sorry to read the result of your latest scan, but glad to hear that the procedure went well. You are truly inspirational!

I hope you feel better since your last post.

Keep fighting, you are amazing!

Susanna x

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for not posting for a while. I had a week in hospital with an infection after chemo. A few more admin delays, but Gem/Abraxane is finally going ahead today at 12:00(ish). As it is only approved for first line treatment and I am having third line, the insurance has had to pay. I'll let you know how it all goes later. Not sure about side effects, but fingers firmly crossed.

Steve

X

Regarding the stent, things seem better, but I have still had a few sessions of sickness so am waiting for another barium meal test to see if there are any other issues in this area. I hope the stent has not been dislodged, but the test should confirm this.

Steve

X

I had the Barium Meal test yesterday and there appears to be an issue with the stent. Whilst it is in the correct place and has expanded to it's correct size, the back end of it is sitting at the sharp junction of the Duodenum where it joins the next part of the intestine. The stent therefore seems to pushing up against the wall of the intestine, restricting food passage. It is better than before the stent was fitted, so we are going to monitor my progress with eating and if we have any concerns, I will immediately be admitted to have a second stent fitted inside the current one, but further in and around the acute bend mentioned above. Seems fair enough and I get to decide if and when the second stent is to be fitted (they had allocated me a bed today for the procedure just in case!).

Watch this space (again)

Steve

X