My first chemo

Kaye 19

Hi everybody

I had my first chemo 5days ago and really not doing very well. Admitted to hospital first night!

I can't eat or drink yet...and what little I have doesn't stay down for long.

I hope this will soon pass.

I am on Folfirinox?

Does anyone have any advice please?

I am taking domperidome for the nausea....

Hi Kaye

The chemo seems to affect people differently.

My partner never suffered from nausea at all but took anti sickness medication AND steroids as an anti sickness measure. I'm afraid I don't remember the names of either (so not much help) but you could ring the chemo helpline and ask if there is an additional medication you could be given?

Your sickness should wear off during the cycle anyway and next cycle may not be so bad but discuss with your oncologist when you see them next as there are various adjustments it may be possible to make.

Good luck

Cathy xx

Are you having your next treatment 2 weeks later? Folfirinox is a combination of 3 drugs and you will need a line in your arm or chest and it is given in 2 week cycles. People react very differently to chemo. Hope you get it better managed soon. Rob had metoclopramide for sickness when it was bad x

Hi Kaye, my husband has now had 6 cycles of for folforinox and the side effects have been slightly different each time but when he had the awful sickness he was prescribed metoclopramide and steroids and after a bit of tweaking it was controlled better. I think there are other medications that can be given and I'm sure if you tell your oncologist they will adjust things for you. I think the treatment affects everyone differently as others will testify to. Best of luck.

Sue

Hi

It's been nearly a week now and I still feel terrible!

I am having 3 drugs Infused in the hospital and then the pump for 46 hours at home

If there is no improvement tomorrow I will ring the cancer centre as it will be another week before I see the oncologist

I knew it would be tough....but not this tough!

Thank you for the support

I need to do this for my handicapped son...I cannot bear to think I will have to leave him so soon.

Are you managing to keep food and drink now? I know it can be hard for the first week but it may not be this bad every time. You could try ringing the nurses on here also plus of course your designated nurse at the hospital. Let us know how you get on xx

Hi there

How are you feeling today? I hope things improve very quickly so you're able to go home. As Didge said, you could always try contacting the nurses on here as they may have some advice regarding the chemo?

Xxx

Hi Kaye,

Sorry you are feeling so unwell, they can reduce the dose for you this is pretty standard procedure if you have a bad reaction. I hope you feel better soon, and I am sure if the dose is reduced you will do better next time, also ask at the unit if the infusion can be slowed down, that sometimes helps. Folfirinox is a very hard regime, but it has shown some good results, so lets hope things improve soon. Take care and let us know how you are doing, sandrax

Hi Kaye,

I think they can reduce the dose by about 40% if you continue to suffer like this. In regards to medication Carl had everything and nothing helped him greatly with his sickness until they gave him a anti sickness drug via drip before the chemo. I don't know what it was called as they said it wasnt normally a drug they use for folfirinox chemo, but he worked really well for him. It only lasted for 2 days but he then topped it up with tablets. Some people use a medication called Emend with great success too, so could be worth asking for that.

I really hope you feel better soon,

Rob

x

Hi everybody

Finally got the sickness under control...now I have diarrhoea !!

I am back in the hospital to get rehydrated...and hopefully home tomorrow although I now have a temperature!

Feeling a little better now and considering I have 2 infections already ....I'm not too bad

xx

Hi Kaye,

I hope you are feeling better. My Mum had her dose reduced by 40% and coped well with it. Hope you get home tomorrow and are able to build yourself back up.

Love Sue x

Hope you're feeling better today. My husband had his dose reduced by 15% after suffering really badly with sickess and has been better on the lower dose but I'm sure your oncologist can help with the side effects you're experiencing.

Sue

Well I've been in the hospital more than I've been out.

Got really dehydrated and got over the sickness and developed diarrhoea ......they decided no second chemo until I'm better

I have a pre assessment appointment on Monday and probably restart a different treatment on Wednesday.

Today is the first 'good' day for over 2 weeks!

Hi Kaye sorry to hear you've not been feeling to well but good news that your beginning to feel a little better. I don't have experience of Folfurinox as I had gemcitabine but what I did find really helpful with the nausea was ginger - I used to grate a little fresh ginger in boiling water but you can buy ginger tea. Sue.x