Symptoms

josi1971

My husbands scan was done in a mobile ct scanner that visits the hospital every Tuesday has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know if this affects the time it takes to get the results ?

Thanks Jeni for the info.

My original appointment with the Consultant was for the 4th March which was just over a week after my scan appointment (25th Feb) but I received a letter saying that my appointment with the Consultant had been cancelled and a new appointment made for the 26th March, no explanation was given for this. I haven't contacted the hospital regarding this yet but it seems that I definitely need to. It will be 9 months since my op when I finally get my scan, and I had to make a fuss to get one in the first place. These people just don't seem to realise how important things like this are to us and our families, as we have just put everything on hold (holidays etc) until we get the scan results.

Still no news today, husband in a great deal of abdominal pain over weekend and this afternoon and evening, hope that no news is good news but worrying like mad, aim to try and push for some results tomorrow x

My husband rang consultants secretary today, still no news apparently radiologists not sent report yet! Its been 7 days is this normal? Is this good news ? I am so stressed about all this and so frustrating my husband has to deal with it as they wont speak to me they have said they are going to get consultant to ring him but gave no idea as to when and even said he may write rather than ring :-(

Hi Josi. I would consider going to A and E. Severe abdominal pain should always be taken seriously and, from the stories on here, you will know that it often isn't. Mabye an A and E doc will be able to get the results. It is true that if anything bad was on the scan you should have heard by now, but on the other hand you don't know for sure what has been scanned and how clear it is. I think around half of PC sufferers are diagnosed after going to A and E and many cancer patients generally so you should not worry about doing that. We all hope that it will not be PC but whatever it is, if he is that much pain, it needs to be looked at urgently. good luck! x

Josi, for what it's worth I think it unlikely that your husband has PC. It's not impossible but his age and the duration of his symptoms would be points against. That said we all tend to think the worst and you need the results of the scan as soon as possible. I would tend to think the long reporting time to be relatively reassuring. Firstly if the consultant had been worried the request form would have indicated some urgency. Secondly at least for plain x-rays and I assume for scans the radiographers often are able to flag up any anomalies for early reporting.

That said you should certainly have had the scan result by now and your husband should phone again later on Monday morning. If the pain becomes very severe you may need A&E again and if this is the same hospital group the scan should be on their computer system. Not everyone will be able to interpret it but someone might be able to spot something if there's anything obvious.

I hope it's good news on Monday.

Mark

Thanks Mark and Didge, I asked my husband to ring GP today and get an appointment with them as at least they may be able to make the necessary phone calls / chase up results for us, my husband was in pain again yesterday evening and last night, pain came on strong after eating and not only gave abdominal pain but also chest pain and breathlessness he was quite poorly so I said he needs to get more urgent about the whole situation, thankfully he has an appointment at the doctors this afternoon and will be pushing for more action/ results I have also said to get referred to a gastrointerologist as currently is being dealt with by a Urologist, I hope we get some news this week.

Hi All, today my husband called the hospital again and came up against a brick wall just put on hold and didnt manage to get to speak to anyone about his Ct scan results. After learning this I decided to take matters in to my own hands and rang the hospital and asked to speak to someone regarding making a complaint. Put through to a lady who deals with complaints and told her our story. She put me on hold and came back saying the reason we have not had any communications from anyone is because the consultant is on holiday and the results have been sent to him and awaiting his return, we have been given a date to see consultant on 17th March 2015 but obviously i said this not good enough as husband in pain on a daily basis and in particular every time he eats, the lady said the way we have been treated is not good enough and she suggested we contact the radiologists and ask that they send the report of the ct scan to my husbands gp so at least we can go and see him to get the results and talk about the next step into diagnosing what is wrong with him. My concern is that the results have been sat waiting for consultant to act and unfortunately because he not there that nothing has happened. We are hoping for good news tomorrow and that we are told ct scan completely normal, but we still have to get to the bottom of what is causing this abdominal pain that wont go away, I will post again once seen docs tomorrow.

Good luck for tomorrow Josi. Really hope that the results are good but the wait is simply not good enough when your husband is in pain. Surely they could have emailed the details of the CT to your GP. You shouldn't have to complain to get anywhere as this only increases your worry. Lyn xx

I hope you get good results tomorrow. You really shouldn't have had to wait this long! I also hope the pain is sorted out. Thinking of you. Sue x

And surely there must be someone else in his department! A registrar perhaps? Anyway, you need to get answers however they come so I hope you get some news tomorrow.

• 6 months later...

Hello, all its been sometime since I posted, asking advice on symptoms as I was so desperately worried about my husbands symptoms, we have finally got to a stage where he has had a diagnosis and unfortunately it was bad news he has Prostate Cancer, he is only 43. I would like to thank everyone who gave such great support to me whilst I was searching for answers and support and think you all are amazing and brave people. I have joined the Prostate Uk Team where I will now be searching for all the help and advice I can get on dealing with his diagnosis, and the worry of how bad it is going to be as he has waited almost a year to get diagnosed. Thanks again and I wish you all well xx

Thankyou for updating us. I hope your husband recovers from this and gets some good treatment. I am sure the prostate team will be supportive . I wish you and your husband well. Sue x