newbie need help plz

adriancovuk

adriancovuk

Hi all

sorry I have to join you all I will give short history. I am 45 last sept dx with prostate cancer T3 no spread had op at xmas march started two yrs of hormone therapy and was due to start RT. I was also dx with gallstones with abnormal LFT lots of scans later just been told have bile duct cancer and I am scared to hell.

Surgeon says whipple plus chemo

any help please.

Adrian

Please try not to be scared Adrian.

I think the nurses on this wonderful site will be able to lay your fears to rest and give you some good advice.

Unfortunately, I do not have any information on bile duct cancer, but if surgeons say whipple plus chemo it sounds to me like you're going to be well looked after.

Always a worrying time, but try not to.

Linda

Hi Adrian, sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I can only concur with what Linda says, great nurses here and lots of help, advice adviceand a place to off load and share worries and successes.

Members here who have experience of Whipples but be aware people aren't around 24/7 but I'm sure they'll be along at some point.

Best wishes

Julia

Hi Adrian, welcome to the forum.

You surely are having a rough ride health wise, let's hope that changes soon. I too was diagnosed with bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma), which was changed after my oncologist reviewed the results. This was something of a godsend as my tumour is inoperable because of vascular involvement.

If they're prepared to operate then your cancer can't have spread and is thus potentially curable. Let's hope it is.

Good luck and just take one day at a time.

Mark

adriancovuk

Thanks all for the replies it does help to talk.

some good news there is a small chance it might not be cancer the first pathologist looked at bile duct brushing said cancer then a second path said they looked sus but not sure. Surgeon said 95% cancer but wont know till after surgery...

thanks

Adrian

Hi Adrian, always difficult to know what to say, but I feel sure that if you have been offered surgery, and you think you are in the right place for this, then go for it. I had surgery, not a whipples, but the other end of the pancreas, body and tail, and spleen, and a bit of my tummy. Don't worry about it, just go for it, you will not know much about it, you will be asleep! - it saved my life. We do have active members on this site, who have had a whipples operation, I am sure they will talk to you about their experiences, but you should be able to bring up the postings about this, if you type in whipples, and I hope it all goes well for you. Carole

Hi Adrian

Everything is sounding positive in that you have been offered surgery.

My husband had whipples in February and in his words now feels "smashing!"

I hope all goes well!

Sue

X

adriancovuk

Hi all just a short update got call from hospital got my whipple on tuesday any tips please panic set in

Adrian

Hi Adrian

I'm afraid I can't offer any practical advice around the op but I would say that the fact you are being offered one and it is happening soon are two good reasons for you to feel positive..

You wouldn't be offered the op if they didn't feel that it would be successful and would contain the disease. Weird as this may sound, a lot of us (or our loved ones) on here would grab the chance of an operation but have been told it's not possible.

Contact the nurses on this site if you have specific questions you would like answered as I am sure they will be able to help

tel: o20 3535 7099 or email: support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk.

All the very best for next week

Cathy xx.