gem/abraxane

jdlinder

Hello I'm currently on gem/abraxane and just wondering if anyone has added any other chemo's to their regimen. My doctor wants to add GM-CSF. Has anyone done or heard of this?

As far as I can gather Gemcitabine was the standard chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer until recently. Unfortunately the improved life expectancy was generally only measured in weeks. To improve efficacy other agents have been used alongside and a common combination is gemcitabine/abraxane.

http://ir.celgene.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=111960&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1776848&highlight=

The newer chemo regimes are significantly more toxic especially for neutrophils and to prevent problems, their production can be boosted by the use of GM-CSF (Granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor) or G-CSF (Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor). I am having my first shot of a G-CSF called Neulasta later today which should enable me to continue on the "full strength" Folfirinox.

Thanks.

That's interesting and I'll keep a note of this for our next hospital visit.

My partner has had oxaliplatin removed completely after he said that the ends of the tips of his fingers were numb and one suggestion was that he carries on with the other 2 Folfirinox drugs. I had a quick look on-line and they seem to be used generally for treating bowel cancer. The oncologist said that no-one knew how they would work with pancreatic cancer (which sounded a bit of a risk to me..)

my last ca19-9 levels are normal 19. But I still have a 2×2.9cm tumor on my pancreas and 2 spots on my liver. I have been on folfirinox for 5 months and folfiri for the last 2 months due to neuopathy. So my doctor wanted to switch me to gem/abraxane before i got resistant to it. He is also adding gm csf. Can you let me know the side effects with the GM-csf. Any thoughts on what else I can do to decrease the tumor size and live spots?!!! Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks.

The best chance of reducing the tumour size and the liver spots is by keeping to the schedule for your chemotherapy. One of the things which can prevent this is a low neutrophil count which the GM-CSF should avoid. It should also help to keep you clear of infections in particular febrile neutropenia.

As far as side effects go it is important to realise that these are only potential effects which may affect perhaps 10-20% of people taking the drug.

http://www.leukine.com/patient-index