Dad starting Gemzar soon!!!! Side Effects anyone???

Gillian12345

Hello. Im Gillian (NEWBIE on here!!). My father has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 PC. He has mets to his liver and kidneys. He's well at the moment but is due to start GEMZAR at the end of this week.

Does anyone have first hand experience of this Chemo? I'm really worried how its going to effect him!!! Hes been told its for 12 weeks with one half hour session a week administered by a drip in hospital.

His diagnosis has rocked my world. My dad means the world to me. He is 68 has 4 grown up children and has 12 grandchildren!!! From what I gather hes been given around 6-12 months depending on how the treatment works.

Why is this cancer such a terrible one with very little hope??? Its devastating. :evil:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

PCUK Nurse Dianne

Hi Gillian,

Welcome to the forum and your new forum family. I am sorry to hear of your father's recent diagnosis, this is undoubtedly a sad, frightening and difficult time for you all. We are pleased you have foudn the forum where you will receive a lot of support from others who are in a similar situation to yourself.

I will email you directly with some questions and answers that might be helpful at this point in time and be able to support you further.

Kind regards,

Dianne

Support Team

Hi Gillian

Welcome to the forum and so sorry to hear of your Dad's diagnosis, you must be absolutely devastated. You will find lots of people on here who have been in your situation, including myself, and we will give you lots of support, so know that you are not alone. I am assuming the treatment your Dad has been offered is a combination of Gemcitabine and another drug, one I am not familiar with, but I am sure Dianne will have emailed you with lots of useful information so I hope that has been helpful. Do not worry too much - you will find your Dad will be monitored closely during treatment and given medication to minimise any side effects. Everyone is different and you may find he tolerates the treatment very well. My husband had GEMCAP and felt really good for a long time - was initially told 4-6 months but had a wonderful 15 months. I know it does seem very hopeless at the moment but stay positive and never give up hope - new treatments are being found all the time. Do lots of reading and get as much info as you can - here's hoping that your Dad does great and defies the odds (he will not be alone there either - there are plenty of good news stories to keep your spirits up).

Sending you lots of love and so glad you found us. Keep us posted.

Deb

x