A forum to focus on treatment related issues and side effects from treatment

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
dmc236

Re: Tumor Markers

Postby dmc236 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:17 am

its not trivia Laura, its realy good to hear that things are settled and managable for you. positive posts are allways helpfull and keep me positive too. :D

rachelqt

Postby rachelqt » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi Laura,

No more word yet on dads treatment. He is doing very well at present and its more than we could have hoped for!! He is on his week off, were back this coming Thursday so I shall be quizing the oncologist then! Although I have been in contact with another oncologist (friend of a friend) who seems to think that a break can be good as it stops the cancer cell becoming immune to the chemotherapy? Dads markers have dropped quite a lot so maybe this is the reason? We should have our first scan hopefully at the beginning of March to see what my dads passenger is doing..lol Hopefully its decided to hop off!!

Laura im so pleased that Bri is doing well. Seems his break is doing him the world of good, and he (hopefully my dad too) is a message of Hope to all the PC suffers out there. Im also delighted that you are having a bit of 'ME' time! Thats so important. Wish my mum could do the same, sadly for her, her mum (my nan) passed away on yesterday and she is also coming to terms with dads illness. She has been on an emotional rollercoster of late. I would love to take all the saddness away from her.

Chat soon Laura and keep us posted on Bri
Love Rachel xx

laura

Postby laura » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:50 pm

hello rachel,, sorry that your mum has lost her mum, your nan, another blow to deal with, isnt it a good job we dont know whats round the corner cause i think most of us would just want to run run run, not knowing just makes us deal with whatever gets thrown at us, my mum who lived till 95, been gone 18 years now, always told me my shoulders would always be broad enough to deal with whatever !!!, dont want too many more problems else i shant get through the door?? lol
perhaps you and your mum could go and do something together, my daughter [49] comes with me for a massage, its nice for both of us,
take care chat soon love laura xxx

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi Laura,

I just want to echo what dmc etc...have said. Your posts are such a source of hope to all on here, and it is lovely for people to hear that Bri is doing some projects, even strenuous ones like building a shed!! I think also that it helps people to see that there is life after chemo (in particular), and that some semblance of "normality" is possible.

I also think it was a great idea to suggest the body massages to the people on the forums. (Actually had a back massage myself for the first time last week!) I think these are good ways to unwind, and think beyond cancer etc... even for a short time, and to have something which will make the person feel better too.

So, keep on posting! Everyone on here loves to read your posts, and your news, and of course, your sense of humour!!

Best wishes,

Jeni.

laura

Postby laura » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:54 pm

aw jeni, thanks for your lovely comments, lifes a bit "poo" at times, and i try and be a bit lighthearted, just so that you all dont think cause bris doing ok, alls well, i do have another daughter up country [47] who is a recovering [ i hope] drug addict and still has some probs with drink, she has two children, see what i mean about my mums "quote" [bless her]
anyway to all of you on here, no one knows what heartache goes on behind a smile, or closed doors, do they? its as loipec says, everyone else seems to be going about their business without a care in the world, whilst others feel their hearts are being ripped out.
we never know do we?
so, chins up, keep fighting and positive, lots love laura xxx

rachelqt

Postby rachelqt » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi...
Just an update on Dads situation with his treatment. Were still in limbo at the minute as to what is happening. Dad is still keeping well and just had cycle 4 day 8 over him. The oncologist is still making the decision as to whether to stop the chemo at 4 months or keep going until the 6 month mark. We are just being told to see how things go over the coming weeks. He is not sure if he will even be given a scan just yet as the markers are a good indication. His CA19-9 is down from 6800 to 2400, but todays blood results were the first time Dad has not had a drop in the markers, Dad was told today that they were raised slightly but it was not even worth talking about. He was also told for the first time how pleased they were with his progress, his liver and bloods functions are all good!
Anybody know if its possible for a tumor to shrink off the vein that its wrapped around? (Dad was told he was inoperable) This is why I would love Dad to have a scan, just incase this was happening.
So far now we have to go with the flow.
Takecare everyone...Rachel

laura

Postby laura » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:18 pm

hi rachel, nice to have you back on line, wondered how you were? bri's tumour was/is wrapped round the smv, this was NOT visible on his various scans pre-op, only when they opened him up and "laid all his bits out" that they could actually SEE the problem!
however the tumour did shrink by about 50/% over 6months, our gp did say he thought it was worth having another "pop" at the op, however oncologist thought that wasnt possible. the other side of that from what i have read/know is that there can be a lot of other different problems from having a "whipple". again as so often seems the case, its all down to whats on offer, and the sufferer's own choice, we feel that as bri is not suffering too many problems wth digestive side effects, perhaps better the devil we know! very aware that his "passenger" is still hitching a lift, but long may it remain a passive passenger?
all down now to waiting for result of scan we had this week, and see how hes done without 3 months of chemo [ bit scary]. best wishes to you and your dad rachel, and all other "posters" on here
love laura xx :)

dmc236

Postby dmc236 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:58 am

have everything crossd for you laura, that bri's scan shows positive results x

rachelqt

Postby rachelqt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi Laura,..Yes back on line, me and my girls were in a vicious circle of tummy bugs and flus, thankfully we are all much better now, that time of year I suppose!
There seems to be no winning with this PC, as the operation seems like the only hope of cure but then again it does bring alot of complications with it and also there is that high chance of it coming back!
I hope the results of the scan is good for Bri, I can understand how nervous you both must feel, please let us know how he gets on. Will say a prayer for you both!!
Takecare..Rachel xx

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi Rachel,

It is possible , but not very common, for the tumour to shrink back off the vessels which it is wrapped around. If your dad has a scan, and there is a good sign of this, maybe they might consider giving him radiotherapy, to maybe help further with the shrinkage?

Again, this is not a common occurance, but worth asking?

Jeni.

Laura -hope the scan results are positive. Jeni.

rachelqt

Postby rachelqt » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi All,
Dad was down yesterday for his last treatment of Cycle 4. So they have now told us that they have decided to stop Dads Chemo now after 4 Cycles, reason being that it is good to have a break. Dad done really well on his chemo and to be honest since he started it, he just grew better and better. The next step is waiting on an appointment to come through(approx 2-3 wks) for a scan, once they have a look at it then the next step will be decided, what ever that may be. The lovely Macmillan nurse and local doctor will keep an eye on him until then. As Laura has mentioned it is a very scary prospect now to have a break away from treatment, just hope this tumor behaves itself until then!!
Best Wishes to everyone...Rachel x

Trevor F

Postby Trevor F » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:17 pm

I had a Whipples carried out in June 2009, getting on for 3 years now. About 15-16 months ago a scan detected a recurrence as a result of which I was put back on Gemzar and have been on and off chemo treatment since. My tumour markers have been like the Big Pepsi Max at Blackpool, up and down, at nearly 5000 3-4 months ago, down to under 1000 now, due to the Gemzar. In fact we have extended the treatment. Meanwhile I carry on working and the treatment fits around what is essentially a normal working life.

rachelqt

Postby rachelqt » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:44 pm

That is very positive Trevor! We have been very focused on these tumor markers, although the consultant tells us not to get to hung up on what the number is sitting at but rather the trend in them. Thanks for the reassurance, it is good to know that a break every now and again work for people! Long may you continue with your positive fight.
Best Wishes to you..Rachel