A forum to focus on treatment related issues and side effects from treatment

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
smilodon

Incision hernia

Postby smilodon » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:51 am

Hi
Had a double bypass 9 months ago. Now have a hernia.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS ?

richiebirch

Re: Incision hernia

Postby richiebirch » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:43 am

Hi Smilodon,
I had whipples operation in Sept 2009 and was left with a hernia on the incision site.Its directly in the centre of the wound under my rib cage,and about four inches long. It was probably caused by excessive strain,and i can actually remember round about the time it may have been caused. My consultant is happy to repair this as and when i request,but after major surgery i have decided to wait as it does not cause me pain and at 51 my days of parading along the beach trying to impress have gone!!!(i was never like that any way.
I wear a support belt around the area(like a velcro strip which i wrap around.) Its approx 6 inches wide and not noticable under clothing. Im sure your doctor will be able to refer you to the appropriate dept. Best of luck.
Regards
Richie

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Re: Incision hernia

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi Smilodon,

Incisional hernias are very common after major abdominal surgery.

They are easily corrected, with a revised operation and insertion of a mesh to reduce the hernia. Usually 48 hour stay in hospital. No heavy lifting afterwards though!
This is what can put pressure on the wound area. There is always a likelihood that it could reoccur at the same site, so post-op care is very important.

Hope this helps,

Jeni.