Hiccups

Jeanettesendler

Jeanettesendler

Hello, Has anyone experienced ongoing hiccups which prevents my partner from sleeping during the night. Also very exhausting during the day. Any suggestions how to stop them? I understand it is caused by his stage 4 pancreatic cancer . Thanks in advance Jeanette

My husband suffered non-stop hiccups and after trying all sorts of medication we found that ice cold water, sipped slowly, did the trick. Worth a try ? Good luck.

My husband also suffered from persistent hiccups day and night which were unpleasant for him and alarming for me. When he was admitted to hospital the doctor prescribed Metoclopramide which is actually an anti nausea drug but also used for other symptoms including hiccups in cancer patients. It worked well and considerably reduced his hiccups. Best of luck going forward.

Jeanettesendler

Thanks Corinna,

Every little shared experience really helps. We had to go to the A&E over night to see a doctor since his hiccups became more violent and started to mess with his breathing. He was very exhausted and we were given a medication to reduce acid in his body plus Metaclopramide. We also went into observation in the hospital the next day. We were given a complete change of painkillers, since it was believed that the ibuprofen had caused the hiccups. We left the hospital around 4 pm and after a few hours sleep around midnight i had to call 999. My partner was now encounting serious breathing problems. We were offered two more medications used to treat hiccups and related conditions. The overall approach was that hiccups cant be treated which was honest, but scary. Luckily the hiccups have now settled. We had another bad night trying to get a balance with the new painkillers.

I can only say do not delay to see a doctor if one has ongoing hiccups. It is terribly exhausting, no sleep, problems swallowing water, therefore hard to take medication , little food intake. The body runs down very quickly. Dangerous ,don't delay!

I am sorry to hear you and your partner have had such a rough time, all part of dealing with this horrible cancer. My husband must have been "lucky" in as much as the Metoclopramide did work for him. His hiccups started at home before he was admitted to A & E (with suspected sepsis, no-one had a clue at the time that he had advanced pancreatic cancer including our GP) and they were awful, night and day, and a peculiar sound not like a well person having hiccups. They kept us both up all night long. Good to hear that you partner's have settled down. Best wishes.