Radiotherapy on inoperable pancreatic cancer

Melaniekenworthy

Melaniekenworthy

Hi.

My dad was diagnosed in April this year. He was given 12-18 months with treatment. He started chemotherapy but could only manage 8 sessions as his bloods were too low and he was too weak to carry on. They have just given him 5 sessions of radiotherapy for pain control but the pain seems worse a week later. Has anybody else experienced more pain after treatment and also benefitted from it.

Many thank

M

Hi Melanie

Sorry to hear about your Dad...it's a shame he couldn't tolerate the chemo...did they not offer a different regime?

I've no experience of radiotherapy as our hospital didn't offer it, but if you read Justamo's thread, her husband has recently had radiotherapy to help with pain control.

I'm sure someone else will be along with more info...or maybe give the nurses a ring...thats what they're here for.

Vx

Melaniekenworthy

Hi

Thank you so much for your reply.

They reduced his chemo by 20% but he still couldn’t tolerate it.

He was without any treatment for 8 weeks before we finally got him in for radiotherapy.

They are talking about 2nd line chemo for the next stage.

We are now waiting until he has a scan in 4 weeks to see if the radiotherapy has done anything.

He is in so much and is due to go into the hospice tomorrow to try and get his pain relief sorted.

M x

Hopefully the hospice will be able to help with the pain control, my husband never had any pain, but I know that many do suffer.

Keep us posted...it's sometimes quiet on here, particularly after we've lost a member (as we recently have), but most of us regulars pop on every few days.

Vx

Hi Melanie. My partner had radiotherapy on liver tumours and was told that initially he could well experience more pain because it can cause inflammation. But this may depend where he is having the pain so I would definitely ask if this is expected. There is a nerve block that can sometimes be done but I think that is for a specific pain location. It really would be a good idea to ring the nurses. They are so lovely and they will be able to talk things through with you. X

Melaniekenworthy

Thank you all for your messages

They have said that it could get worse before it gets better it’s just that I don’t know or heard of anyone who’s had radiotherapy for PC and was just wandering if it had helped at all.

He’s been made very comfortable in the hospice and will monitor him for the next 24 hours to see how Often and where he gets the pain.

Fingers crossed they can reduce the pain he’s in.

M x