Where can secondary cancers originate

Slewis7313

As I am shortly going to hopefully engage with Professor team, a question has sprung to mind for our Support Nurses, though I have put it on the forum as it may be of general interest:

Do secondary cancers come exclusively from the primary cancer site, or are scondary cancers able to spread the disease and cause further additional secondary sites independantly of what the primary site is doing?

Steve

X

Good point Steve, I have, I must admit, thought that secondaries spread the disease the same as primaries, but I am in no way sure, so it will certainly be good to know. take care sandrax

Secondaries or metastatic lesions can spread on their own account though their propensity to disseminate widely is more limited. In my case I was found to have several bony secondaries when the bones started healing after receiving Folfirinox. These became inactive except for one in my thoracic spine which smouldered for several months before invading the surrounding bones. Additionally it spread to a vertebrae lower down my spine.

Thanks Mark, the answer is what I expected. We'll carry on regardless and see what the good Prof. suggests as the best way forward.

Steve