Important to be VERY PUSHY

suef

Dear All,

As many of you know, I had a Whipple in Brussels in 2010, have recovered very well. But in Brussels the surgeon underlined to me the importance of taking Vitamin D3 supplements as my body will not digest that vitamin well after the operation. But when I came back to the UK in 2012, no one believed me! I asked my GP to test my vitamin D3 levels, he refused. I asked the consultant at the (very well-known) hospital to test me for D3, he said it was not done in the UK. I showed him an email from my surgeon in Brussels recommending D3 testing, he ignored it. So I bought supplements from the chemist, but you can only get very low doses.

Now I have moved, have a wonderful, caring GP and a super consultant. My bloods were tested 10 days ago - and reveal that I am VERY low on D3, with multiple possible risks. So now I have been prescribed massive doses of D3 and will have another blood test in a month. Hopefully it is not too late to repair the damage.

What is wrong with these people? Are they too arrogant to look up on their computer the recommended tests for post-Whipple patients? My GP admitted he had never treated a post-Whipple patient before and I certainly hope he will never do so again, the same for the consultant!!

Best wishes,

SueF

My bf was prescribed D3 supplements by his herbalist who is used to helping cancer patients. As always you have to do a lot of the work yourself to get what you think is necessary.

Hi

I totally agree its one of my biggest points I make to new people on the forum QUESTION EVERYTHING ... the doctor is not god they dont know everything they know a little of this and that thats why theyre a 'general' practitioner..and yes I totally agree some of them are very arrogant .. I am so pleased you moved doctors I would've done exactly the same

hugz

marie